Malkoff        
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

Default Re: MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    Thanks th8tredude, Oveready had a medium press for $2, with a $4 shipping so I got 3 of them. Those copper Cryos bezels were very hard to turn away from! Does anyone know if one of those will fit onto a Solarforce L2P light? (As if I really need to know...)
    The bezel threads and solar force host threads should be the same. The only possible issue may be it seating all the way down. Glad you found some boots, hopefully that will help. Guy, hope you're safe and far away from the typhoon. Be sure and have a light in case you loss power.

I didn't even know that was out there! Hang on Guy, hope all is well! (Praying for a continued weakening)

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

-Alex
    Ha! I have no doubt about Dale's veracity, but that's still funny

Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
    The nickel plated aluminum lights that Jason at Prometheus lights builds have a extremely durable, functional, and beautiful finish to them. I also like how it coats the threads for wear resistance and improved electrical continuity.
    Thanks KDM,

added to my R&D list

Quote Originally Posted by nicknohair View Post
    Looks great so far Guy.
    (lurker who hasn't posted yet)
    Hi nicknohair,

Welcome back and glad to see you

I just put together a small light (4") with triple xp-g2's and a solid inch of copper in the head (3 ounces worth, nearly doubling the weight of the light to 6 1/2 oz). The weight feels superb in the hand, front heavy to be certain, but it makes me very aware of what a solid copper Zeus or SS version would feel like. There is something reassuring about the solid bar stock feel of a heavy light in hand, and when it performs, well then it's just Sweet!

At the moment my little beastie is running in direct drive at some 1800 lumens, will be toning that down for longevity and heat control to probably 1300 lumens.

Really looking forward to seeing the Zeus and it's refined bossy character.

Edit: forgot to mention...I have a McClicky in this one as well as several others I've modded and find that the momentary half-press is extremely sensitive. It takes very little pressure or forward movement to activate the light. I am actually thinking about taking one apart to see if this sensitivity can be addressed. To easy to inadvertently engage the mega-blaster. Makes me somewhat afraid to drop this one in a pocket, as it's 7A+ start-up is quite intense. Thought it should be known to be careful with these, taking the bezel off or making relatively simple adjustments can fin the touch sensitive switch engaging the light in your eyes. Ask me how I know....
    Dale,

You are a total and utter animal!
    My favorite kind
    That is a lot of power in one package you've got there.

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

-Alex
    LOL

@DBCstm, would a hard press switch boot help? I've also loosened the switch, sometimes when it's tightened more they tend to require less pressure to activate.
    ?? me thinking.....

Quote Originally Posted by th8tredude View Post
    Hey DBCstm, I've gotten them at Oveready.
    Th8tredude
    Thanks th8tredude

Thanks th8tredude, Oveready had a medium press for $2, with a $4 shipping so I got 3 of them. Those copper Cryos bezels were very hard to turn away from! Does anyone know if one of those will fit onto a Solarforce L2P light? (As if I really need to know...)
    Ahh, ok, now I remember seeing those before.

The bezel threads and solar force host threads should be the same. The only possible issue may be it seating all the way down. Glad you found some boots, hopefully that will help. Guy, hope you're safe and far away from the typhoon. Be sure and have a light in case you loss power.
    Thanks KDM,
    Safe and sound.
    Was windy as hell last night so I had to skip my post office ritual but enough batteries here to last hmmm..... 10 years, give or take some extravagant bursts on high mode.

I didn't even know that was out there! Hang on Guy, hope all is well! (Praying for a continued weakening)
    Actually me neither...
    I rarely have time for the news.

About the sensitive McClicky...
    Well, don't think that's gonna be a problem in Zeus as we have a separate torque control and the defacto Zeus button boot is metal.
    The button is protected by the outer tail edge so of course tail standing is precise and I actually had the height adjusted to the millimetre to ensure it wasn't so far below the edge that it could not be operated with thick firefighting gloves (Alex..).

I've gone through multiple button prototypes to ensure it is just they way it should be with a new final candidate not too far away, just waiting to verify the McClicky's. Zeus is as much about UI as anything else I've done but I'm most excited about sharing the cool stuff I haven't shared yet. I just want to verify it all works as it should, first hand before doing so but not too far from final verification and when you hear your next sonic boom, know it may just be the result of a guy/gal in the town next you seeing a Zeus for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by NowIC View Post
    Ha! I have no doubt about Dale's veracity, but that's still funny
    Hi NowIC
    Yes, totally agree

Tgwnn

Flashaholic

Hey Guy,
    The more you say, the more I want!
    Th8tredude

I can't wait for the specs and the "sharing the cool stuff".
    All very exciting.

edit:

I meant to add that I would really like to see the option of a low-ride clip on a flashlight this size. I'm not sure if you have designed one in, but it's a feature I value in pocket-sized rather than keychain sized light.

I particularly like the robust screw-in type like the Sunwayman V10R Ti

Just a thought.

Edit:
    Sorry, I see you do mention a robust clip with two screws on the original posting. Oops
    Last edited by nicknohair; 10-17-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    "We're all born bald, baby." Telly Savalas
    "Who loves ya, Baby?" Kojak 1973
    "Greeks don't threaten. They utter prophecies." Kojak 1973

Flashaholic

Default MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

Hey Guy,
    Given that the switch boot is metal, I certainly hope a "UTT", or "Ultimate Trit Tailswitch" with a tritium Z will be available soon after release...
    Th8tredude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Hey Guy,
    Given that the switch boot is metal, I certainly hope a "UTT", or "Ultimate Trit Tailswitch" with a tritium Z will be available soon after release...
    Th8tredude
    Nice idea Mr Dude - an deep etched Z on the metal switch boot ready for trits. Those who don't want to see the Z or install trits can put a clickie rubber cap on.

I meant to add that I would really like to see the option of a low-ride clip on a flashlight this size. I'm not sure if you have designed one in, but it's a feature I value in pocket-sized rather than keychain sized light.
    Hey Guy,
    Th8tredude
    Nice idea Mr Dude - an deep etched Z on the metal switch boot ready for trits. Those who don't want to see the Z or install trits can put a clickie rubber cap on.
    Thanks nicknohair, th8tredude,

I'm quite sure I have you guys taken care of

Below: Sample clip attached to Zeus

I'm working on an original clip design that will be thicker/wider but this photo should give you an idea of attachment.

Below: Zeus button cap

These are proto's of course but I've spent a great deal of time exploring multiple button boot designs.
    I think its safe to say you can expect all that you hope for, and then some!

Right now its somewhat of a race to see how much I'll be able to complete for the first edition release in terms of the options and as to when I set the final release deadline but I'm working my behind off, and pushing myself harder than ever before, to create what I believe will be the most complete and possibly even mind blowing MBI product to date.

Tgwnn

Flashaholic

Hey Guy,
    Please, feel free to blow my mind! I'm really hoping this will be ready to be my Christmas present to my self! So looking forward to this!
    Th8tredude

"I'm quite sure I have you guys taken care of..."

Certainly sounds like it. Excellent.

Please, feel free to blow my mind!
    +1

I can skip trits in the tailcap because of the trits in the body at the tail. Looks great!

Wow! 3 steps ahead on 7 different paths. You're magical.

Hey Guy, I'm in for one in Titanium. Factory trits would be so cool, and the possibilities with that Z design tail are interesting to say the least.... might need to get 2 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by voltman View Post
    Hey Guy, I'm in for one in Titanium. Factory trits would be so cool, and the possibilities with that Z design tail are interesting to say the least.... might need to get 2 or 3
    As far as I know Ti is going to happen as soon as this bb passes the beta state

sent from Zombie Land

Flashaholic

Yeah, things may have changed, but Guy had said the first run was going to be 12 Al and 12 SS. But, that was before he was entertaining the crowd funding route, so who knows! With that, he started talking about adding Ti, Cu, and brass on an accelerated timetable. I'm in for SS AND Ti, whenever they come!
    Th8tredude

There was some discussion about nickel silver possibilities too.

Yes. I would prefer ti but stainless will do for now!

Has anyone ever done a custom light from Copper and Carbon fibre composite? Cu for where optimal heat transfer/cooling is required and Carbon fibre for the remaining structural body. Well, thinking out aloud, what about best materials for each subsystem. As noted, but say Ti or Al for the switch assembly. Maybe am getting into Frankenstein territory here but I've always liked gear that has optimised design where applied materials are best possible for specified function. Bonding and fastening of the differing materials would be an interesting design exercise. Aside from that, Titanium is my usual go to.

Flashaholic

DEF in for a ti with factory trits in the base and boot, also thinking i need two any way then i can hook them up to headlamp when out on night search.. or even for night patrols and mounting one on the side of the security dog with his body camera.....As Guy knows I am a follower from across the pond and up for all things that light the night then I am in but I need focus, zoom and a well lit path

this guy just gets better and better with each design :P

Flashaholic

I was just thinkin... my long winter nights on patrol keeping my hands warm with zippo handwarmers may be a thing of the past if guy can sort me out with 2 x zeus ultra ti lights with handwarmer option then my blue numb fingers should be a thing of the past

Flashaholic

This is looking great! I still like Al in black with some green trits.

JJohn, don't you think the trit's look best set against the HA black? That's really a nice combination in this light! With trits, black aluminum, without trits, hmmmmm, copper, Ti, then SS. I'm really kind of liking Cu for this one, solid, super heat sinked, and gorgeous.

Add green trits to that, who knew Zeus was a green eyed Red Head? lol

Flashaholic

also thinking of how good tis would be with coloured filtered add on lenses

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Floyd View Post
    Has anyone ever done a custom light from Copper and Carbon fibre composite? Cu for where optimal heat transfer/cooling is required and Carbon fibre for the remaining structural body. Well, thinking out aloud, what about best materials for each subsystem. As noted, but say Ti or Al for the switch assembly. Maybe am getting into Frankenstein territory here but I've always liked gear that has optimised design where applied materials are best possible for specified function. Bonding and fastening of the differing materials would be an interesting design exercise. Aside from that, Titanium is my usual go to.
    Hey Heywood Floyd,
    The only two lights I have found with Carbon Fiber are the Niteye Eye10TiC, which is Ti with a Carbon Fiber tube bonded over the battery tube, and this light:
    http://store.orbita.com/ProductDetai...uctCode=cpw001
    I've never seen the orbita in person, but I EDC the Niteye with an IMR18350. It puts out nearly 600 lumens using that. It will run on a Primary, but only good for 200.
    I would certainly love it if Guy would consider using Carbon Fiber in something. I love me some Carbon/Ti stuff!
    Th8tredude

Cryos made a copper and carbon fibre 6P body:

They also made an aluminium/carbon fibre version of the same.

However it's not really what your asking about as the carbon fibre tube is just a sleeve around a perfectly strong metal body and doesn't add anything structural. I'm sure that's the same with the Niteye.
    Lumencraft started making their Gatlights with carbon fibre battery tubes. The batteries used to be fully exposed so they chose carbon fibre because it is strong, light, looks nice and wasn't part of the electrical circuit.
    Usually in a flashlight design the benefits of using carbon fibre structurally would be offset by the need to have a separate electrical bypass around it (carbon fibre can conduct electricity but only a bit) and the need to glue it into place wherever it's used would be a structural weak point.
    Last edited by Tofty; 10-24-2013 at 03:02 AM.
    Pictures of most of my work can be found on my facebook page: www.facebook.com/pages/Tofty/418361674867785

Quote Originally Posted by Tofty View Post

However it's not really what your asking about as the carbon fibre tube is just a sleeve around a perfectly strong metal body and doesn't add anything structural. I'm sure that's the same with the Niteye.
    Lumencraft started making their Gatlights with carbon fibre battery tubes. The batteries used to be fully exposed so they chose carbon fibre because it is strong, light, looks nice and wasn't part of the electrical circuit.
    Usually in a flashlight design the benefits of using carbon fibre structurally would be offset by the need to have a separate electrical bypass around it (carbon fibre can conduct electricity but only a bit) and the need to glue it into place wherever it's used would be a structural weak point.
    Thanks very much Tofty. Very interesting words and pic. In regards to the tube conducting, there is a similar issue with composite aircraft skins and lightening strikes. In such cases they embed Cu or other suitably good conductor filaments in the fabric weave. It would be an elegant solution to have such a light, strong and tough battery fuselage made of C fibre composite able to conduct via embedded Cu strands.
    Last edited by Heywood Floyd; 10-24-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Hey Guy,
    Please, feel free to blow my mind! I'm really hoping this will be ready to be my Christmas present to my self! So looking forward to this!
    Th8tredude
    Hi Th8tredude,

On the mind part...bring a helmet to the unveiling

On the Xmas part, I'm driving the schedule as hard as I possibly can.
    We're pretty close on the circuit now, just need to finalize the output on high mode with the 1.5V chemistries.
    Currently testing how far we can ramp up the power and still keep it efficient.
    Personally, I'm itching to know we can beat the ZL 280lumens mostly for the sake of it but I don't think its the most practical in a two mode, so might hold that back till version 2 though it can't hurt to see.

We've nailed the output on high mode to my spec for V1 so not too far away from the first batch of test pcb's.

"I'm quite sure I have you guys taken care of..."

Certainly sounds like it. Excellent.
    Thanks nicknohair

+1

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I can skip trits in the tailcap because of the trits in the body at the tail. Looks great!
    Thanks gunga,

The option will be there for those that want it, but agree with you on the body trits

Wow! 3 steps ahead on 7 different paths. You're magical.
    Thanks Dale,
    I only counted 4 steps but if you calculate the possible configs and options, it might be 37

Quote Originally Posted by voltman View Post
    Thanks voltman,

I know my Ti supplier will love us all when the time comes as there a serious chunk of metal being used for Zeus.

Quote Originally Posted by cactux View Post
    As far as I know Ti is going to happen as soon as this bb passes the beta state
    sent from Zombie Land
    Hi cactux,
    I'm still considering the timing but Ti will definitely happen.
    As the8tredude mentions below, if I can make the crowdfunding thing happen, Ti will happen faster.
    Making the crowdfunding happen is mostly just a geo-logistics issue (needing to have a bank account in the right country, etc, etc) but I'm currently in the process of getting things set up for that and with a little luck I could kick it off next month.

Yeah, things may have changed, but Guy had said the first run was going to be 12 Al and 12 SS. But, that was before he was entertaining the crowd funding route, so who knows! With that, he started talking about adding Ti, Cu, and brass on an accelerated timetable. I'm in for SS AND Ti, whenever they come!
    Th8tredude
    If I go the CF route (CrowdFunding), then I'll definitely make a small batch first to verify everything is as it should be in advance.
    If I don't go the CF route, I'll most likely increase the size of the first batch of Al/SS and then follow it with a Ti, Cu and possibly other metals too.

There was some discussion about nickel silver possibilities too.
    Oh yes, that one too

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Yes. I would prefer ti but stainless will do for now!
    There's plenty of lego-ing with Zeus so its going to be easy to build on whatever you start with.

Hi HF,

That CF/Cu composite sounds pretty awesome!
    No sure how much Cu we need in there to ensure a smooth transfer of electricity but it sure would look very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRogersUK View Post
    DEF in for a ti with factory trits in the base and boot, also thinking i need two any way then i can hook them up to headlamp when out on night search.. or even for night patrols and mounting one on the side of the security dog with his body camera.....As Guy knows I am a follower from across the pond and up for all things that light the night then I am in but I need focus, zoom and a well lit path

this guy just gets better and better with each design :P

I was just thinkin... my long winter nights on patrol keeping my hands warm with zippo handwarmers may be a thing of the past if guy can sort me out with 2 x zeus ultra ti lights with handwarmer option then my blue numb fingers should be a thing of the past
    Thanks Captain,
    You should be able to warm your hands rather quickly on high mode. Maybe even cook something if you remove the bezel
    If you mount one on your dog, that is one photo you have to share with us and I hope his name is Zeus

Quote Originally Posted by JJohn View Post
    This is looking great! I still like Al in black with some green trits.
    Thanks JJohn

JJohn, don't you think the trit's look best set against the HA black? That's really a nice combination in this light! With trits, black aluminum, without trits, hmmmmm, copper, Ti, then SS. I'm really kind of liking Cu for this one, solid, super heat sinked, and gorgeous.

Add green trits to that, who knew Zeus was a green eyed Red Head? lol
    Thanks Dale,

Actually I have some storyboards made up for a few videos...
    Now if only I could borrow a submarine, a hollywood set and some Blackhawk helicopters for the extraction scene...
    everything else is all set!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRogersUK View Post
    also thinking of how good tis would be with coloured filtered add on lenses
    Color...

Hey Heywood Floyd,
    The only two lights I have found with Carbon Fiber are the Niteye Eye10TiC, which is Ti with a Carbon Fiber tube bonded over the battery tube, and this light:
    http://store.orbita.com/ProductDetai...uctCode=cpw001
    I've never seen the orbita in person, but I EDC the Niteye with an IMR18350. It puts out nearly 600 lumens using that. It will run on a Primary, but only good for 200.
    I would certainly love it if Guy would consider using Carbon Fiber in something. I love me some Carbon/Ti stuff!
    Th8tredude
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Tofty View Post

Thanks Tofty.
    I was actually wondering about the electrical path.

Thanks very much Tofty. Very interesting words and pic. In regards to the tube conducting, there is a similar issue with composite aircraft skins and lightening strikes. In such cases they embed Cu or other suitably good conductor filaments in the fabric weave. It would be an elegant solution to have such a light, strong and tough battery fuselage made of C fibre composite able to conduct via embedded Copper strands.
    So many ideas with all the sharing that goes on here, that I forget the ideas I had just a minute ago...

Thanks so much everyone.

I submitted my custom Zeus clip design (in Titanium).
    Technically it shouldn't be a problem but I may have to offer it as an add-on option depending on the final cost.

I'm so very thrilled that most of you like what you've seen so far....
    I am totally itching to share the things I've no yet revealed but I have to sit on them just a tiny bit longer,
    ensure they are ready to roll and then folks, be sure to fasten your seatbelts.

Tgwnn

Flashaholic

colour / color option for filter would be red, or blue..... red uis the preferred one we use when on static location on duty as we cna have it on and see out of the vehicle without any reflection through the glass and makes it easier for us to do night duty, where as white light we get loads f reflection off the base statio glass or vehocle windscreen

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast