Help me! Mag with 3 watt luxeon and lithium batts

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I have a mag with an Everled in it, and I'm quite happy with the light output/battery life. I'm thinking that if I went with a full mod on this light with a 3 watt luxeon and lithium ion batteries I would be even happier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I haven't been following the flashlight technology lately, I'm hoping you guys can help me make the best light that I can.

1. What is the cheapest driver for the 3 watt that will like either 3.6v or 7.2v from a lithium pack I am going to make?

2. What's the best way for me to mount this 3 watt in the Mag? I would like to keep the original reflector and focusing ability.

Thanks for the help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a 2D mag, two 18500 cells will fit easily in there with a sleeve and a small extender. I got two 18650's into a 2D but the spring compresses real tight. Two Li-Ion's will work nicely with a Downboy (700mA or so). As far as mounting the LED/converter, Elektrolumens used to sell heatsinks but you can probably Rube Goldberg one up or beg on B/S/T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . Mr Bulk has done a lot of Mag mods and he's the guy you want to ask on mounting and heatsinking the LED to the Mag. Let us know how your mod goes since I plan on doing one for a friend who does not want to part with his M@g 2D.

CM

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be doing this to a 3D light. Is there a relatively easy way for me to put protection circuitry on the 18500's? I want this to be completely idiot proof, so no worry of leaving it on too long or something. I was thinking of using some modified cell phone batteries.

Anyway...I'm going to make a post in the battery section specifically about the battery part.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I could help answer questions if it's about a mod using primary (disposable) batteries, but I'm afraid I'm way out in the deep woods when it comes to rechargeables...

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
I could help answer questions if it's about a mod using primary (disposable) batteries, but I'm afraid I'm way out in the deep woods when it comes to rechargeables...

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the part of mounting the Luxeon in the mag? I really don't have the slightest idea how I am going to do that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
You definately want a HotLips heatsink for your LuxIII. It makes the Mag mods super simple and makes a fantastic light. Look up "Hotbeam" on this forum and you'll find the Hotlips. If you have a 3C or 3D Mag, you can direct-drive the LuxIII at about 4.5V with C or D cells, and it makes a great, bright light.

I did this one recently and am extremely happy with the Hotlips, and the resulting light.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
... I got two 18650's into a 2D but the spring compresses real tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

CM, you can just reverse the spring and everything will work flawlessly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh yea, i thought DB can take V as high as 4 123 (12V), so using 3 18650 would not be much of a problem. Use DB1000 mA for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif