Questions on Mag Charger bulb

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it safe to run the new style Mag Charger bulb on 3x123s? I have 1 potted in a SL6 reflector and have used it with 6xaa nimh in the 6aa battery holder from Elektrolumens. I'm thinking the holder may have enough resistance to stop the bulb from blowing, but will the 3x123 option work. I don't want to blow the bulb because I can't get em in Singapore.

paulr

Flashaholic
No that's probably asking for a blown bulb. It's really intended to run on 6 volts (5xNicad).

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang.. I would have to use some PWM circuit it seems. 3x123 and a mag charger bulb in a SL6 makes for a very long throwing and bright light.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Nerd,
I can't say it will NOT flash, but I am running 6 volt bulbs in 2D Mags with two 3toDs and 6 alkaline. I have used nimh and alkaline, the alkaline are brighter than the rechargeable. I have used PR13 and 6 volt halogene. One of the PR13s turned black (but didn't flash) with only a few minutes of testing. I understand that the 3toDs resistance varies, so I can't predict how your 3toDs will perform. You might try a different 6 volt bulb to test your 3toDs.