Here's my Surefire 6PX mounted on a Mossberg 500

CaliColin

Newly Enlightened
The mount is a $7 generic one from Amazon. Clock is 13" in diameter, about 10 ft away. Should give you an idea of what to expect.

photo1_zps44989638.jpg

photo3_zpsa0d6b35a.jpg

CaliColin

Newly Enlightened
the packaging on my G2X says "not for weapon mounted applications"

As did the packaging on my 6PX. I emailed Surefire about this after I bought it. In short, All we are saying is that it has not been tested and certified for weapon mount.

For that coveted status you must pay more, which I'm sure any LE or military org would be glad to do. And to be fair to the brand, if I'm asked to put my name on a light to be mounted on the end of a soldier's M4 in Afghanistan, I want a few thousand units mounted and fired through a wide variety of rifles, thrown into trucks and off of buildings, dragged through the mud and desert from sub zero to 150 degrees, and generally beaten on in extreme conditions. I would attempt to emulate conditions that a Navy Seal team might encounter, which are quite different from those inside my air conditioned home. I don't live in a mil spec environment and this torch doesn't claim to be capable of performing in one. I have a shooting friend who has sent several thousand rds thru a carbine with a G2X out front, and boy does that thing do a great job of something it hasn't been certified to do. And as for my own personal experience, only 50 rds of bird shot down the pipe at a paper target. Hardly credentials worthy of outfitting a SWAT team. But enough to light up something that goes bump in the night.

As for the $7 mount, not so much. The hex screws are too short to fit around the mag tube so it's mounted to the barrel. Stays secure enough but I wouldn't trust it after 100 rds. I see an Elzetta in my future.

Canada

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I prefer to mount a dedicated weapon light to my guns. I had problems of on/off when shooting non weapon lights. Cyr once and buy a surefire x300ultra that is easily interchangeable.

6apynu2u.jpg
zymape2u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

m4a1usr

Enlightened
If you get a dedicated forend light like the Surfire you will have light during any portion of a firing cycle. With your setup you have to wait during a loading cycle to turn the light on or off. And you can buy the older incandescent verion for pretty cheap and then add a P60 LED from any of the sources out there. The cool thing about the SF forend is they are a straight drop in. They dont need the tapered body like the Malkoff or EDC+ units have. With a momentary switch on you can go from "surprise" to "fade" to black.

CaliColin

Newly Enlightened
If you get a dedicated forend light like the Surfire you will have light during any portion of a firing cycle. With your setup you have to wait during a loading cycle to turn the light on or off. And you can buy the older incandescent verion for pretty cheap and then add a P60 LED from any of the sources out there. The cool thing about the SF forend is they are a straight drop in. They dont need the tapered body like the Malkoff or EDC+ units have. With a momentary switch on you can go from "surprise" to "fade" to black.

This is a good point. And I think you just made me spend some more cash. :scowl:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
This is a good point. And I think you just made me spend some more cash. :scowl:

Yes but you will have better tactical options. But let me suggest another possiblity. Get a cheapie SolarForce or UTG or Similar pressure switch tailcap. There are a couple dozen choices on Fleabay and with some velcro you can put the pressure switch on the forend. Might cost you $9 to $12?

Last edited: