Strobe Light

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF,

In your experiences what light has the most effective strobe light?

I am looking to purchase the TK75, but I was wondering if there is a better light out there that compares (all things considered: price, Lm, run time, strobe).

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Thanks!

hanst

Newly Enlightened
What do you want to do with it? I have both the TK75 and the Klarus XT11 XM-L2. As kj2 mentions the strobe on the XT11 is very useable and initial tests show it to be quite effective at disorienting an opponent. The TK75's strobe mode is accessed via several switch clicks, so not too well adapted to tactical use. However, the TK75 is so strong you might not need a strobe mode :)

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just putting this right here:
20uqzac.jpg

The XT-11 has a better interface, but the TX25C2's strobe I will trip you up if you try and walk towards it. :D

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
What do you want to do with it? I have both the TK75 and the Klarus XT11 XM-L2. As kj2 mentions the strobe on the XT11 is very useable and initial tests show it to be quite effective at disorienting an opponent. The TK75's strobe mode is accessed via several switch clicks, so not too well adapted to tactical use. However, the TK75 is so strong you might not need a strobe mode :)

I will be mostly walking trails/fields, but it is not the friendliest bunch around me so I would like a defensive tool at hand. I was under the impression that the TK75 had an easy access strobe.

Just putting this right here:
20uqzac.jpg

The XT-11 has a better interface, but the TX25C2's strobe I will trip you up if you try and walk towards it. :D

Now the Eagtac are a very big interest for me. I was looking at buying the SX25L3, but it is a looooot of clicks to get where you need to be (as far as tactical/normal). If it had a mode ring it would already be in my pocket!

Thanks for the replies! I hope to get a few other thoughts

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trails and Fields? Get the EagleTac MX25L2 with the SST-90 LED. (Yeah. It's B-R-I-G-H-T 'awful' strobe as well.)

2d2emms.jpg

2vn2atu.jpg

Etsu

Enlightened
I will be mostly walking trails/fields, but it is not the friendliest bunch around me so I would like a defensive tool at hand. I was under the impression that the TK75 had an easy access strobe.

I don't get why anyone would trust anything less than a 4D flashlight for their defense. A strobe is simply going to annoy and anger someone, and get you a harder pounding when they mug you. If your purpose is defense, then bring something that is actually useful in defense. A flashlight ain't going to do it, unless it's to give you the extra half-second to attack with something useful. But unless you're both trained and willing to do that, it's not going to help.

Where I live, any kind of self-defense will get you arrested and charged with more serious crimes than your attacker. (Pepper stray is illegal, as well as guns, knifes, bats, etc.) So it's a lose/lose here, but luckily it's also very safe so there's no need for defense against 2-legged beasts.

If you live somewhere that you need to carry weapons when you go for a walk, move.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
(...in before the lock :D)

An effective strobe is just a tool. If you where dumb enough to get cornered because you haven't ran like Forest Gump then a high lux strobe can be used to conceal whatever it is you are "resorting to" to at least give you an option.

Personally I like to use harsh language. But that's a discussion for another forum. :D

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I don't get why anyone would trust anything less than a 4D flashlight for their defense. A strobe is simply going to annoy and anger someone, and get you a harder pounding when they mug you. If your purpose is defense, then bring something that is actually useful in defense. A flashlight ain't going to do it, unless it's to give you the extra half-second to attack with something useful. But unless you're both trained and willing to do that, it's not going to help.

Where I live, any kind of self-defense will get you arrested and charged with more serious crimes than your attacker. (Pepper stray is illegal, as well as guns, knifes, bats, etc.) So it's a lose/lose here, but luckily it's also very safe so there's no need for defense against 2-legged beasts.

If you live somewhere that you need to carry weapons when you go for a walk, move.

Agreed.

Bronco

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, blerkoid. As has been hinted at, this thread will likely be locked shortly, so let me hit a few of the basic points real quickly.

- Despite the occasional hype generated here and elsewhere which suggests otherwise, a good strong strobe light is marginally effective at temporarily disorienting its target. The period of maximum effect is brief and will diminish quickly thereafter.

- Trained law enforcement personnel use strobe lights not to subdue or incapacitate individuals, but rather to enhance their safety in the brief few seconds it takes for them to identify the armed threats from the unarmed or innocent bystanders and then to either overwhelm or engage those threats will actual weapons.

- Discussions on the topic of self defense make the management at CPF extremely uncomfortable. They strive to maintain a family friendly atmosphere on this board. Effectively defending yourself or your family from those who are determined to do you harm demands a willingness to engage in activities which ought not be discussed in front of young children. Therefor, I would recommend that you find yourself a dedicated self defense forum that welcomes mature subject matter, of which there are many, and allow them to disabuse you of the notion that a strobe light alone is an effective self defense tool.

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened
I wonder why so many lights include a strobe mode. I can understand why a "tactical" light would have one, but they seem to serve no practical purpose on lights meant for general purpose consumer use. I'd rather they scrap them, and give me one or two less modes to cycle through. I guess it's just for marketing purposes, and because everyone else is doing it.

Bronco

Enlightened
I wonder why so many lights include a strobe mode. I can understand why a "tactical" light would have one, but they seem to serve no practical purpose on lights meant for general purpose consumer use. I'd rather they scrap them, and give me one or two less modes to cycle through. I guess it's just for marketing purposes, and because everyone else is doing it.
Despite what you might infer from my previous post, I love the strobe modes on certain of my lights. I just reserve their use for what I find to be more appropriate situations. Like when I take the kids trick-or-treating on Halloween, for instance. Not all the neighborhoods in my area have sidewalks and it's nice to have the extra visibility that a strobe provides over a constant light source. Same thing applies at any major sporting or concert venue where you're trying to navigate your way on foot through massive, poorly lit, parking lots filled with motorists all rushing to get to the exit. We've also discussed how effective a strobe can be at alerting other motorists to your presence if your own vehicle happens to be disabled on the side of the road. There's no shortage of uses for a strobe, you just have to be able to identify the right ones.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I will do my best to stay within what is accepted on this forum in terms of discussing defensive use of a light . . .

The 4D cell light mentioned above is great if your circumstances make it appropriate. I used to keep one in my car. It did me little good when I left the car. My Surefire E2DL carries quite comfortably and discreetly in a pocket or Kydex belt pouch. As a martial artist with several years experience, I question the training/experience of anyone who questions the effectiveness of a smaller light.

As mentioned above, a light, strobe or not, can be effective at providing about a 1/2 second advantage. That may seem small, but to anyone who understands defense, a 1/2 second advantage is a golden opportunity.

There are some very experienced current and former law enforcement officers in the defensive training industry who have found that strobe is very effective at disguising movement, which itself can be invaluable.

I am very happy to live somewhere that I don't necessarily need a weapon on a daily basis, but where I do have that option. When I go places where I do not have that option, flashlights factor prominently in my preparation for some very good reasons.

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, thanks for the informative replies and the forward replies as well :)

When I go for walks I always have other tools that can be utilized and I have police training under my belt as well. I am more afraid of bears than I am the individuals. I would much rather not have to engage them, though. That is why a strobe could prove useful if I needed that second or two to get a headstart. I do not need a 4D cell to club someone with lol. I just want a small defensive tool.

I hope this does not get locked, because I am only looking for a good strobe light. Let's pretend it is for the next party :)

Thanks again!

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Regarding bears, making noise while you hike is a good way to let them know you are coming. They will in many cases move away from you when they hear the noise. Also, while this is getting off the topic of flashlights, if pepper spray is legal where you will be hiking, it can be obtained in a format that is designed specifically for bears. Sabre brand spray is particularly high quality.

Etsu

Enlightened
Yes, definitely carry bear spray if you're hiking in areas where bears are known to be around. It's even legal where I live... sort of... kind of. Well, I carry it anyway. I'd rather be charged by a cop than charged by a bear.

I have no idea if a strobe will do anything against bears. I wouldn't bet on it.

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the replies! The bear spray is coming before this weekend, so I am going to be more prepared on that front.

I think we may have got side tracked, though. Any good flashlights with a great strobe that you guys use?

Thanks!