Battery direction, or how to kill a $35 led?

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
I have a Wolfeyes Rattlesnake M90 with the leds in the tailcap, and battery direction is positive to the tail cap. I ordered a led assy (made for the M90) to replace the bulb assy, and when I turned it on, I got a burnt smell.
The new led assy never came on, so I am thinking it got fried. But if I have turned the batteries the other direction, the leds in the tail cap might have fried.
I have a raider version, which uses a compatible tail cap with no leds, so I put it on, and put batteries to the front, the led will give a small flash when I turn it on, but will never light up.
I am now thinking if it fried, it was a no win situation from the start.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly you need to use a regular tailcap on the Rattlesnake M90 when using a LED module with the battery positive towards the head.
Originally you had an incandescent lamp which could take polarity either way, but the LED can't go backwards.
It was a tricky thing to learn years ago.
I have a Wolfeyes Rattlesnake M90 with the leds in the tailcap, and battery direction is positive to the tail cap. I ordered a led assy (made for the M90) to replace the bulb assy, and when I turned it on, I got a burnt smell.
The new led assy never came on, so I am thinking it got fried. But if I have turned the batteries the other direction, the leds in the tail cap might have fried.
I have a raider version, which uses a compatible tail cap with no leds, so I put it on, and put batteries to the front, the led will give a small flash when I turn it on, but will never light up.
I am now thinking if it fried, it was a no win situation from the start.