Looking to start building/modding

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF!

I am rather new here, but I am interested in learning more about modding/building as a hobby.

The type of light that I would like to build/mod is a high lumen flood light. There are a lot of different areas for modders, so I thought this would be a good place to start. Not looking for someone to hold my hand, though I wouldn't complain about it lol. Just a gentle push in the right direction would be awesome!

Thank you!
(if I missed any essential information just let me know)

-Branden

Tiresius

Enlightened
If you're looking to build from scratch, a lathe and milling machine will suffice.

If you're looking to mod, you'll need quite a few things...soldering iron (station if possible), lead-free solder, soldering flux, solder paste, teflon wires, snap ring removal tool or very fine pliers to remove pills, thermal epoxy, micrometer, and an organized case or shelf where you won't lose things :D

That's just about all I can think of.

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking to build from scratch, a lathe and milling machine will suffice.

If you're looking to mod, you'll need quite a few things...soldering iron (station if possible), lead-free solder, soldering flux, solder paste, teflon wires, snap ring removal tool or very fine pliers to remove pills, thermal epoxy, micrometer, and an organized case or shelf where you won't lose things :D

That's just about all I can think of.

Thank you Tiresius! That is very helpful.

I will probably look to start a bit more basic than that. Maybe start with some simple drop ins? I have read a few of the tutorials on here, but I can't seem to find a real 'beginners guide'.

Thanks again

Tiresius

Enlightened
drop-ins are not mods...they're just aftermarket replacements unless you're going to assemble one from an empty module. When you're looking at it that way, you'll still need a solder gun, solder, teflon wires and thermal epoxy.

I personally build my own drop-in modules from solid aluminum and then piece all the parts together. That way, I have complete control over its quality and how well it'll fit into the host's gut.

IF you're going to just buy a pre-assembled drop-in, drop by nailbender, vinhnguyen for affordable but quality drop-ins. Then there are guys who makes solid slugs to fit specifically for each host that'll cost $60 and up, depending on the setup