Xtar TZ20 XP-G2 R5 Pioneer Review (XP-G2 R5,430 Lm 18650/2xCR123A)

viperxp

Enlightened
This is a review of new tactical flashlight from Xtar, company well known for chargers and batteries. The full name of the flashlight is TZ20 G2 R5 Pioneer. There is a reason for such a long name - the model is not completely new , but an improved model equipped with a modern XP-G2 LED. Die surface of the XP-G2 is much smaller then the more popular XM-L/XM-L2 , this allowing an easier focus for the flashlight with smaller reflector. When compared with an older TZ20 model the XP-G2 has less lumens, but throws further.

iu2N5OKwUtlhl.png

Technical Specs

ibzqP4SysJtRdP.png

ANSILighting Mode
TurboHighMidLowStrobe
Luminance430Lm220Lm30Lm5Lm430Lm
Runtime (3100mAh)3h5h25h90hnone
Beam Throw250m(On Land)
Max Intensity15650cd
Impact Resistant1.5m
WaterproofIPX8
LEDCREE XP-G2 R5 LED
MaterialAluminum alloy,
Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
Working Voltage2.75-8.4V
Battery2*CR123A or 1*18650/18700 lithium battery
SwitchTactical tailcap switch
SizeØ34.5mm(head dia)*Ø25.4mm(body dia)
*Ø25.4 (tail dia)*142.0mm(length)
Net Weight122.0g (Excluded battery)
Package Contents•Flashlight•Lanyard•O-ring•Manual•Warranty card
Optional Accessories□Battery □Charger
□Remote pressure switch II □Tactical mount

Box,included extras

ibsql2t7KHajIp.png
ib0s8f58AvACnt.png

I received the flashlight in a box , which resembles boxes of electric drills. Such box allows comfortable storage of the flashlight and bundled accessories when the flashlight is not in use. Also it is very impressive as a gift. Notice that the box includes a sticker that allows to check whether the product is genuine.

Bundled accessories, details

ibfuCJt4pHnX44.png
iAc5wZn96oqrX.png
iA5RVleNTsuyQ.png
ikg6RoJ5q0GjU.png
iVlWYzbnnkiuy.png
iESQZrw9aZaRq.png

Before this flashlight package I though that I know the meaning of the word DELUXE , and it explained well the packages of the Olight flashlights. Well, the package of Xtar is very extended, and includes everything the user will need, for a start for sure. The package includes MP1S battery charger, 3100 mAh protected battery, the flashlight, lanyard, extra switch cover and switch mechanism. Also included the user manual for the flashlight and the charger and a warranty coupon. The box misses USB adapter, which was missing in my package.

Pioneer

iy8ry89kVftDh.png
iGlYYMUUHoYHr.png
ibhdzp3lzmXsK9.png
iutbxMImJzmei.png
icjUVsQI83Ha9.png
ikgZfCPh2ggNQ.png
iLkn5hmbwQZXX.png
ib16nekdvxrjHg.png
iburLBbIcIyMAh.png

The built quality of the flashlight is high. The finish is somewhat more glossy then Olight or Nitecore models that I used.
There are some interesting details different to other flashlights in this model.
The tactical ring can be removed, and when removed also the clip can be removed. The clip looks exactly like the clip on Olight models.

1. It lacks a steel bezel. Usually tactical models equipped with one
2. It tail-stands. This is a good thing, but usually "tactical" models have protruding button that does not allow tail stand.
3. Both threads are square cut, but not anodized
4. The flashlight has 4 modes + strobe. It always starts on high and cycles through modes with strobe in the main sequence. I think it would be better if the strobe would be hidden by double or triple click.

Compared with Olight M20 and Olight M22

iFZObtZyShjtj.png
ibdm0PvKN8kilg.png

i0n9ltzHNFqK5.png
iY3apdojE6CY0.png
i5lCaGruxp3gj.png

The flashlight is a little bit shorter then the Olight models. The head diameter is more similar to the Olight M20 model , but light output is not :) . You can clearly see that the XP-G2 is much smaller then the XM-L2 (and that my cat likes flashlights as well).

Beamshots

the xtar is always left , then M22 and M20

i8vCYr83OSk1a.png

Xtar and M22

ib2cJc1rk8Ejat.png

Xtar and M20

i8vCYr83OSk1a.png

The Xtar has much tighter hotspot. It is very bright and has sharp edges. Judged by eye, it's 430 lumens look much closer to M22's 950 lumens then to 550 lumens of the M20.
The tint is very nice, very neutral with no hints of green/blue.I have never seen such nice tint of any XM-L2 flashlight.

Some numbers (lux from a meter using fasttechs luxmeter)

Flashlight/ModeLowMidHighMax (Turbo)
Olight M20SX-L2160 (10 lm)2000 (110 lm)8600 (550 lm)
Olight M22 Warrior430 (20 lm)7500 (250 lm)19500 (950 lm)
Xtar TZ20 G2 R5144 (5 lm)850 (30 lm)7800 (220 lm)15800 (430 lm)

Well, it IS very focused beam. When I went outside and checked throw, the Xtar outthrows the M20 but it is very difficult to judge which one throws farther, the M22 or the Xtar. I would say the M22, the numbers don't lie.

Noise/PWM

The flashlight is completely silent on all modes.I measured PWM of frequency ~ 15.3 kHz on all modes except max. I don't think a mortal human can see such frequency.

Summary

the good

• a very nice tint,a very strong beam
  • many modes for diffirent situations
  • a nice set of bundled extras
  • tailstands

the bad

• 5 modes that are in line, have to go through all to get to strobe, strobe in main sequence
  • no stainless steel bezel
  • PWM

Conclusion

If you need a flashlight that is good "out of the box", bundled with accessories the flashlight might be the flashlight for you. The flashlight performs extremely well, competing with flashlight with much larger head diameter.
If an instant access to strobe is a must for you, or you can't stand a word PWM , in any frequency maybe you better look for other flashlight, Olight models for an instance.

Questions? Requests? I will be happy to assist.

TZ20 was provided by Xtar for this review

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
You're fairly new here, so welcome!:)

Compliments on your review, I enjoyed reading it:D

If you don't mind, may I ask what where are you from?

Cheers;)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I couldn't read ansi stats on included picture. Could then be typed in to make readable?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2