• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired unnerv's FatMag 5W auction

unnerv

Enlightened
unnerv\'s FatMag 5W auction

Up on the CPF Auction block, the FatMag 5W. What is the FatMag you ask? It is what happens when I find a 3/4 inch thick boring bar in my dad's shop and get a hair brained idea that I can fit 3 123's in a 2D Mag ala 3 to D converter. The light is a 2D pewter mag, that has been chopped short, rethreaded, and bored out to fit 3 123 cells side by side in a handmade battery holder. The heatsink is my own design also, ensuring plenty of thermal path away from the "Charlie Mode" UX0T luxeon. Really white, with just a hint of blue around the edges. It has been finished off with a UCL from flashlightlens.com. All in all about 12 hours of labor, and now I would like to pass on this one of a kind so I can fund new projects. 10% of the final auction will go back to CPF. I'll pay for the shipping in the US. I would prefer not to have to send international, but if you really want it we can work something out. The auction will close on 12/9/03 (my birthday) at 9pm CPF time. Paypal from bank account prefered, I can't take CC's on my account. Can also do US Postal Money Orders. The full amount for the ending auction bid will be paid to me, and I'll send 10% to Sasha when it's done.

And now for the pictures:

fatmag05.jpg

Pelican M6 and the FatMag for size comparison

fatmag01.jpg

Parts shot

fatmag02.jpg

3 123 to FatMag D adapter.

fatmag04.jpg

Solid heatsink to keep the Charlie Mode going.

fatmag03.jpg

Top shot of the heatsink

3xfml4.jpg

Beamshot of Tristar 3x3, FatMag, and L4

fmbeam.jpg

Beamshot of the FatMag's beam pattern and hotspot

oopsflash.jpg

This beamshot, I forgot to turn the flash off, and the hotspot is still quite visable.

Happy bidding

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: unnerv\'s FatMag 5W auction

I'll start it off with an extremely modest $12.93 in honor of unnerv's birthday. Get it? (12-09-03) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This is a terrific mod, unnerv. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: unnerv\'s FatMag 5W auction $51

Make that 51.00 see if you can top that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened

The three questions I always ask:

1) What's the continuous run time?
2) Any lux readings at 1 meter?
3) Can I use rechargeable 123s?

Thanks!

unnerv

Enlightened

S4, I have not yet run down a set of batteries in it. I have used it on and off for about 30 minutes over the last month with no noticeable dimming yet. I would guess that it would be very similar in performance to a Space Needle.

As far as lux readings, I don't have a meter, but it is brighter than anything else I have except my SNII from MR Bulk. They are very close, but my light was made with a UX0T and my SNII is a V2T. I need to get my SNII back from a friend, but I'll try to post a comparison shot between the two.

I have not tried rechargeable 123s but would not recommend it since, most rechargables are slightly bigger and there is no room for the cell to get any bigger, and also since it is direct drive, most recharables have a lower internal resistance and might burn out the light.

Let me know if you have any other questions

snuffy

Enlightened
Re: unnerv\'s FatMag 5W auction $140

Way to go Kevin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
That bid sure took the wind out of my sails. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

unnerv

Enlightened

Here an outdoor beam shot of my Fatmag vs the SNII I have. If iirc the SNII was around 6800lux from Mr. Bulk. The Fatmag is not quite as bright but is definately way whiter. Probably a little more resistance because of the battery holder and the difference between a U and V bin. It is hard to beat Mr Bulk, I am just glad, I'm not blown out of the water like the SN2 does to so many other lights.

fmvsn2.jpg

Fatmag on the left, SNII on the right.

thanks all for bidding.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Actually it looks like yours is way brighter...?