Fenix LD12 G2 dissapointment/confusion

sackless

Newly Enlightened
So I've finally splashed out on a new light - a Fenix LD12 G2. After a long time using my E05 or my dads old L1T (with a horrible green tint!) I thought it was time for an upgrade to a more modern light.

I spent hours here on CPF looking for the right light for me then finally settled on an LD12. I decided to get the G2 version because, well, I'm a bit of a sucker for new stuff.

So long story short my LD12 arrived today. I fired her/him/it(?) up and did the obligatory 'shine it in yer eyes' test (ouch). After doing this I shone it at a wall only to find (cue dramatic music) that the beam is littered with rings.

I don't have a camera to hand so I can't take a beamshot right now but I can kind of describe it from hotspot to spill:
  • The hotspot is a nice pure white colour - maybe a bit on the blue side but nothing to complain about
  • Just outside of the hotspot is a slight, dark ring (where the hotspot meets the spill). It's pretty faint though so I guess I could live with it
  • A bit further out though the beam becomes quite 'ringy' - a majour nuisance
  • The beam then smooths out for a little bit
  • Towards the edge of the spill there is another dark ring, followed by a wide, blue band

Are there any LD12/G2 LED owners here that could give me a bit of advice? All the LD12 beamshots I've seen (old XP-G model) are clean and even. Perhaps it's the new G2 LED, maybe it's just my light.

Either way it's ridiculous that a almost 50 pound light can be this shoddy. When I buy a Fenix light I expect quality, hence why I've stuck with them all these years. My L1T is donkeys years old and still outperforms the LD12 beamshot wise - have Fenix just given up?

Sackless.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Where did you purchase it from? If I were you, I'd just send it back. For a premium light like the LD12, I wouldn't expect to see any nuisance rings.

sackless

Newly Enlightened
Where did you purchase it from? If I were you, I'd just send it back. For a premium light like the LD12, I wouldn't expect to see any nuisance rings.

I got it from Heinnie Haynes here in the UK. They're usually great with returns etc. so that's not what worries me - the cost of postage does though!

I've also just noticed that my LD12 goes into PWM mode when I switch brightness modes (see this thread). It also flickers slightly (PWM) when I tun it on in low mode (3 lumen).

Why oh why have Fenix done this. They used to be so good...

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate peripheral rings too. You could return it for an exchange but the whole batch is probably like that. Good luck and hope you manage to get one with a clean beam.

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I've heard Heinnie Haynes is good with the customer service side of things, I wonder if you could ask them to test the replacement before they send it out? I suppose it would be pretty subjective though...

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my LD12 and it is one light I would replace right away if anything happens to it.

Try another one I think you got a Lemon?

Ed

gsr

Enlightened
I saw this thread, and it prompted me to pull out my LD12, and refresh my memory as to its beam pattern. I picked up mine back in March, so I expect that it might be the G2 variant, like the OP's. It doesn't have a flawless beam, either. Maybe we both got substandard examples, or maybe that is just the way they all are.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G leds and smooth reflectors often result in a less than perfect beam. It is the fact that Fenix persists with smooth reflectors that has stopped me from purchasing their newer models. I own an LD12 which is a great little light, but it's beam could be better with a little bit of orange peel stuffed in there behind the lens.

All my Fenix lights with smooth reflectors have less than perfect beams, but outdoors it's not so noticable. Still, they could be better. Everything else about Fenix lights is just about spot on. Except for the rediculous mode spacing in the PD32. What's that about?

sackless

Newly Enlightened
XP-G leds and smooth reflectors often result in a less than perfect beam.
Seems a bit 'one step forwards, two steps back'.

All my Fenix lights with smooth reflectors have less than perfect beams, but outdoors it's not so noticable.
That's odd; my dad's HP10 (old line of headtorches) is almost flawless as is my L1T. Your right about it being not very noticeable outdoors (apart from the blue ring) but it's still not right.

I've heard Heinnie Haynes is good with the customer service side of things, I wonder if you could ask them to test the replacement before they send it out? I suppose it would be pretty subjective though...
IDK, I don't want to risk getting another lemon. Call me a cheapskate but when I pay almost 50 quid for a flashlight I want high quality.

Sorry about that. I was in a hurry to post and I though the LED flashlights sub forum was just for LED talk - not specific lights :eek:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's odd; my dad's HP10 (old line of headtorches) is almost flawless as is my L1T. Your right about it being not very noticeable outdoors (apart from the blue ring) but it's still not right.

When I mean less than perfect, most people wouldn't notice of care. However I'm very particular about the qualities of a beam profile before declaring it proper. I think the E50 has the closest beam to prefect for me, only a slight dull spot in the centre of the hotspot, but almost entirely unnoticable outdoors. The LD20 is pretty good too, but I'm sure with a suitable o/p reflector they'd be perfect.

resistor

Newly Enlightened
Same experience with sackless on my ld12 g2. I,ll post some quick pics later. Newbie here on torches. I have a solar force l2, xenoled v8, & daxshine c108 xm-l t6.

sent from my note 2 phablet

rockhopper

Newly Enlightened
Sad to hear the let down.
Well you're clearly not happy with the light you ended up with. So there's only 3 viable options.
Option 1: Contact their (your retailer) custom support and see if you can work something out, with the mentioned risk that the whole batch is bananas. If they really care you could do a cross-check on serial numbers on the next one they send.
Option 2: just ask for a refund try your luck with either another light or at another store.
Option 3: Take your losses and keep the light. You can always give it as a gift to someone with less high standards. Also you could always try and modify it, but to be honest it's not the option I'd go for myself with that kind of money.
Unless a special gift occassion was coming up, I'd just contact my retailer. I assume you didn't import it for less money so you could get customer service, I would make use of that and I would bring up the concern about shipment cost as well.

sackless

Newly Enlightened
Same experience with sackless on my ld12 g2. I,ll post some quick pics later. Newbie here on torches. I have a solar force l2, xenoled v8, & daxshine c108 xm-l t6.

sent from my note 2 phablet

Turns out I don't have a camera good enough (that isn't broken) to take clear beamshots. If you could give me your serial number that would be great though - then I'll know if it's a faulty batch or not.

Mine's: F4ZZN#02928

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something like this
13797385754341_zps58ac9397.jpg

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4

sackless

Newly Enlightened
My LD10 has no rings. . Smooth beam.

I thought the LD10 had an OP reflector though.

Anyway, the LD12's on it's way back to HH - FREEPOST of course! :D
They say the'll replace it if there's a better one there, or refund me if there's not; I can't lose.

AIRASSAULT18B

Newly Enlightened
My LD10 has no rings. . Smooth beam.
I have two LD10 100lm models just like wjv. I also have a LD12-S2 & LD12-G2. The LD10 beats them both hands down in beam quality & brightness. The only thing I like better about the LD12 is the side switch.

resistor

Newly Enlightened
Mine's S/n: F4V0300448

u7yjy9a8.jpg

Black spot is not visible in the image taken. Sorry, just using fonecam.