Tain Picolo problem

j2t

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up a Tain Picolo. Sweet light.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of leaving it where little eyes & hands found it. Best as I can tell,
it was screwed in ALL the way, so now, the only way to turn it off is to practically remove the twist cap
completely....anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix it?

thanks!

Jared

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if your LED driver module was screwed in too far up into the head? Try a pair of sharp tweezers insert it into the two notches (the ones literally at 12'oclock and 6'oclock) and unscrew it slightly. Keep going until it works again, but not so far that the cap won't screw down completely. It's just a guess. Screwing down all the way shouldn't be a problem. I do it to mine all the time.

I will note the twisty/spring setup is a little flickery during mode changes. I assume the spring will groove the radial contacts slightly making contact less than perfect. The miniscule head wobble inherit with the thread spacing will also add to the finicky nature of the mode changes when twisting.

j2t

Newly Enlightened
Thanks man. I'll give that a try tonight when I get home.

J

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. :thumbsup: BTW you'll need sharp tweezers similar to these

28wjp7n.jpg

The notches are thin.

Tain

Enlightened
Just picked up a Tain Picolo. Sweet light.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of leaving it where little eyes & hands found it. Best as I can tell,
it was screwed in ALL the way, so now, the only way to turn it off is to practically remove the twist cap
completely....anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix it?

thanks!

Jared

Can you confirm if it is a V1 or V2 Piccolo?

V1 - High -> Low

V2 - Low -> High

V1 will not turn off when battery voltage is below 0.9V. It's a protection for Nimh cells.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious, why would a light that won't turn off when low voltage protect NIMHs?