dead 123 as spacer?

grnamin

Enlightened
Will a dead 123 battery work as a spacer for a 1x123 modded Luxeon III-equipped light? If not, any suggestions as to what to use as a spacer? I have a Luxeon III-modded KL4 coming from Don, but I may not have an E1e body to try it out with, only an L4 body. Thanks in advance.

jtice

Flashaholic
I wouldnt suggest using a dead batt.
The voltage difference will cause problems.
Such as the dead cell causing another cell to discharge into it.

For quit test purposes, a bolt with electrical tape wrapped around the sides to isolate it from the body works good.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I have made spacers out of wooden dowels (get one the right diameter, carve a small groove down on side and put a screw on each end with a wire in between). These are cheap and easy to make.

For something with a little more heft, use aluminum or copper dowels. Get one a little smaller in diameter, and apply several layers of heat shrink to bring it up to the right size (and to insulate it from the sides). These are more expensive to make, but are practically indestructable, and won't change the weight or balance of the light as much (like if you don't want to affect the boyancy of a modded dive light).

Aloha, iG