HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys initially think of the IOS 7 experience

Flashaholic*

Default What do you guys initially think of the IOS 7 experience

Boy I'm older and have tired eyes but I think overall I find the IOS 7 display to be much more difficult to read than IOS 6. Poor home screen icon to background contrast unless you pick a just right background. Apps (like camera) with lots of light blue text against a white background. It used to be when I inverted the colors with IOS6, I found the results psychedelic and funky. When inverting with IOS 7, I find the text generally more readable. One good example is imessage where you have thin white text against a blue backdrop (used to be black text). I upgraded the iphone to IOS 7 but going to hold off doing so with the Ipad. Wish there was the ability to customize the font and text color of the various apps, can you do so with Android phones?

Other features are vastly improved, the notification center, multi-tasking for a couple but I'm having a real hard time getting by the display change.
    I live in a van down by the river

Default Re: What do you guys initially think of the IOS 7 experience

I like the easier to access lock screen, safari is going to take some getting used to.

Yeah, I'm not a super huge fan of some of the aesthetics. I also don't like how some of the buttons are separated more than they used to be (keycode unlocking, perhaps some other places as well). It's more annoying to me to have to move my thumb farther than we used to have to do so since the numbers used to be clustered more closely.

I also don't like how if you double press the home button with the phone screen off and no music has been playing for a while then it doesn't bring up the music controls automatically (unless there's an option to enable that and I don't know about it). It's quicker to do that to go back to where you left off in a playlist rather than have to click the button, swipe up, and then hit play in iOS 7.

The animations could also be sped up more in my opinion. Sometimes I want to do something before an animation is completed so that slows me down. Oh, and I could be dreaming, but my battery life seems to be a little worse than before.

I agree that most of the other features are great. Honestly, though, I might switch to Android and get the Nexus 5 when it comes out. I think that Android is now pretty high quality as well, and I'm missing the extra RAM found in some other smartphones (I have an iPhone 4S and I'm tired of Safari pages reloading constantly because they won't stay in memory; at least that's my assumption as to why that happens so often). We'll see though. I've always been an iPhone fan, but things are starting to get a little stale for me.

Quote Originally Posted by geepondy View Post
    Boy I'm older and have tired eyes but I think overall I find the IOS 7 display to be much more difficult to read than IOS 6.
    Settings / General / Accessibility / Bold text on.

Norm

I like it so far. Been an iPhone user since the first one and it's about time we saw a graphical overhaul. The interface is clean and the animations are fun. The new icon styles are outstanding, less visual clutter and easier to identify at a glance.

I have heard that if you are using it on a non-retina device (iPhone 4, iPad 2) the text can be harder to read due to the font change. Looks okay to me on my 4S.

Additionally my battery life seems to have improved, so that's a big win for me.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Original iPad, this iOS 5.1.1 sure seems outdated..

I've been using it since Beta 1, so I'm past the shock of the new interface. I'm liking the 3rd party apps that have redesigned to match - it's forced a few lazy developers to coagulate their feces.

I'm loving that the passcode screen has nice big buttons that take up the whole screen instead of tiny ones that use half.

Control center is excellent, except I wish it had a Personal Hotspot toggle as well.

I'm on a 4S, speed is good, graphics don't seem to cause any lagging. Battery life is within a margin of error of "normal" for me.

Maps are much improved.

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

Well I've had an iPhone since the 3 and I would say that Steve is probably rolling over in his grave with this update.

It's not that I don't like some of the changes. Built in flashlight it pretty neat. Individual app control over hardware buttons and functions are neat too. I like that the folder brings up a new windows - but damn you think they coulda fit more than 9 icons on the screen by shrinking them down a bit - I mean scrolling a folders window is just silly. The camera seems quicker to take a picture which is a plus with children.

What pisses me off - having to slide left to delete an email versus right.
    What makes me happy - the option screen for when you choose what to do with an item (such as Photo) are much more expanded and it looks like you can attach more than one photo to an email.

My overall impression is that it somehow just isn't as pulled together as Steve's iOS was. Steve kept everything under control and kept it simple. Many complained that you couldn't tweak your phone enough - but he kept it simple for the laymen (ie: my 72 year old mom bought one and she figured it all out in no time - granted she is probably a bit better than most 70+ people on the computer, but I also gave my Dad an iPad mini for his 80th birthday and he's doing okay with it, and he just about knows where the power button is on the computer :P).

My biggest concern is with the direction Apple is heading. I this they are going to try and make every customer happy and you see it already. There are more hardware versions available across the line than ever. The scope creep in hardware and software will make it harder to decide on what to do - and that will turn away the people that came to Apple in the first place for it's simplicity.

Now, on the flip side, I manage our Exchange and mobile messaging environment where I work so I get to trial many devices and lots of enterprise apps. I have to say that I've been working with the Samsung devices lately and the S4 is a damn impressive phone. I've been running an iPhone 4S (been saving my upgrade for the 5S for half a year), but when I go to the AT&T store if I am not blown away with improvements in the iPhone 5S I will very likely jump ship and switch to a Samsung S4 or S4 mini.

just updated mt 4s today. was a bit surprised by the new colour scheme at first but its starting to grow on me. am just wondering if it will be harder to read in bright sunlight(my eyes are getting old!).

ShineOn:

The uncontrollable spread of hardware options is what nearly killed Apple in the 90's. They're hopefully smart enough to learn from that lesson. Jobs was able to come back from banishment to save them that time - from the dead is a whole lot less likely.

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    ShineOn:

The uncontrollable spread of hardware options is what nearly killed Apple in the 90's. They're hopefully smart enough to learn from that lesson. Jobs was able to come back from banishment to save them that time - from the dead is a whole lot less likely.
    My point exactly. I don't want to go too off-topic here - but I've fully converted to OSx and iOS in my personal life and feel that it is a much better experience than Windows for a home environment. I'd hate to see history repeat itself.

I updated my iphone and ipad at the same time which I kind of regret. I like the new features like the flashlight and quick access to bluetooth and wifi. But that's about it.

The whole UI looks like it came from a kid's drawing board. It looks really cartoonish to me. The iphone is my work phone and just use it for calling/texting and nothing more. Thank god my personal phone is android. I wish I could revert my ipad to ios 6 though... The ui looks really weird on it.

Flashaholic*

Agreed, ios has been going to hell since ios 4. Symbols are getting spindly and illogical, unnecessary animations eating up valuable resources, every function seems to be slower, graphics look like something I made with MS paint as a toddler. The new safari is even more inconvenient than the last one, fortunately opera have released a new browser called coast which is a lot like the old style safari (ie; user friendly, fast, elegant, has thumbnails instead of these ridiculous tabs).

Now don't get me wrong, I like apple and their products (some of them anyway), but these latest blunders are catastrophic.
    I just don't understand why they've thrown away the perfection that was ios 3.

Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by HaileStorm View Post
    The whole UI looks like it came from a kid's drawing board. It looks really cartoonish to me.
    I looked at some screenshots of the 7 interface and I agree 100%. I would expect this if the phone was made by Fisher-Price but for a business phone it seems to lack dignity. I'm hoping they'll come out with an update that will allow you to set it back to the older interface.

Are things significantly different on an iPhone 5 or 5s with the new iOS than on my old iPhone 4 or something? I see all these complaints about the graphics and stuff and I honestly can't understand what you guys are complaining about. It's not that wildly different.

Flashaholic

Half the stuff doesn't apply to the I phone 4, pretty much as expected.

I wish they had an option for better themes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I looked at some screenshots of the 7 interface and I agree 100%. I would expect this if the phone was made by Fisher-Price but for a business phone it seems to lack dignity. I'm hoping they'll come out with an update that will allow you to set it back to the older interface.
    Not a chance. Not Apples way of doing things at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Are things significantly different on an iPhone 5 or 5s with the new iOS than on my old iPhone 4 or something? I see all these complaints about the graphics and stuff and I honestly can't understand what you guys are complaining about. It's not that wildly different.
    The GPU on the 4 isn't up to the job of most of the funky newness. My 4S has all the graphical stuff, but no Airdrop (BT chipset too old). 5 and 5s have the whole feature set.

The general UI isn't changed more than 10%. Everything is where it was, and does what it always did. They've just changed the look and feel - for better or for worse, depending on your opinion. (Personally I don't see the "Fisher-Price" resemblance - I have a 4 and 2yo, so I know their products well!)
    Last edited by mvyrmnd; 09-22-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I disagree. The screenshots look a little strange when you view them on a computer screen but when you view them on the vibrant retina display the overall aesthetic fits very well. As with everything else, "you'll get used to it" certainly applies here.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Default What do you guys initially think of the IOS 7 experience

Ill probably be using my old 4 for another couple months. Is it slow on the 4? I'm not super keen on the look but will probably get used to it. I'm hoping to get a 5s so won't have much choice!

I installed it on the family iPad 2. The battery life drain was instantly noticeable. Thanks for the link Photon Wrangler. That fix seems to have helped. I was hoping to be able to add folders to the e mail..... No such luck. It's also slower loading pages.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

It's not significantly slower on the iPhone 4 I don't think. It hasn't affected my general use much.

Until now, the lowest volume setting (just above mute) was still too loud for certain times. Now the lowest setting seems very quiet. Does anyone else have that same experience?

I'm still waiting for the version with DTT...

I was looking forward to the redesigned interface but, so far, I have been a little disappointed overall.

Aesthetically I believe it is an improvement, more obviously on my iPad than my iPhone 5, but I'm still adjusting to some of the differences. These are minor differences but I have to think a little bit about what I'm doing when I want to open the spotlight search feature or kill an app that is running. However, these things will work out in time.

Unlike with past updates I had to spend some time "fixing" some things or putting them back the way they were before. In particular, I didn't care for how it defaulted to showing only the "short names" for e-mail senders.

On the plus side, this was the first iOS update that didn't cause an interruption in my work e-mail. I don't understand the particulars, but with past updates I would have to call the IT department and have them "OK" my device again. This time I was sending and receiving immediately after performing the updates.

One thing that's stopping me from pushing the upgrade button is the fact that I wont be able to downgrade. I've read that IOS7 runs sluggish on a 4S, and i think I'll be better off with my current IOS5. Played with my friend's IOS7 and I love the new control center.

Quote Originally Posted by cruk View Post
    I've read that IOS7 runs sluggish on a 4S.
    No problem with IOS7 on my wife's 4S.

Norm

One thing that's stopping me from pushing the upgrade button is the fact that I wont be able to downgrade. I've read that IOS7 runs sluggish on a 4S, and i think I'll be better off with my current IOS5. Played with my friend's IOS7 and I love the new control center.
    I also havent noticed any difference in performance on the 4S works just fine

It's running brilliantly on my 4S

Flashaholic

I've been running IOS7 on a iPhone5 for a couple of days now and it runs well. A few + and -.

+ The new UI looks good to me.
    + Size of the icons (on samsung s4 they are too small for my taste)
    + Notification center.
    + Slide to unlock can be done from anywhere on the screen
    + Block call in the phone app.
    + Photo arrangement by date
    - Animation is too slow. It partly ruins the 'smooth operating' experience
    - Full date shown in the agenda, like wednesday 25 September 2013, which is redundant as the info is also there above. It takes away space from the daily calendar.
    - When zooming in text in the mail app, it does not do a word wrap within the text window. I think my android from a few years back did that and it would be great if apple also implemented that
    Last edited by e1sbaer; 09-26-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    L10 + L10c nichia 3mode : Jetbeam rrt-01 : 2x ZLh501w : IncenDio-v3 : Jet-III-M-ww : Parasitic drain ones: HDS high cri : Nitecore D10 nichia ramping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast