Surefire Lawman Commander Water Resistance Question OWNERS PLEASE HELP!

vkimo

Newly Enlightened
Hello All. Finally decided to sign up at CPF after many lonely, cold lurking sessions..I am but a key-chain incandescent in the world of illumination and need your help!

I'm thinking of getting either a Surefire Lawman or UNR Commander. Both are rechargeable and have exposed charging ports. I'm worried if used in wet conditions they might short circuit. I emailed Surefire 2 days ago with no response...great lights/mediocre customer service. I called today and the person didn't sound to sure and gave a vague answer. Anyone own these lights and have firsthand experience? Thanks in advance.

carrot

Flashaholic
I can't remember where I read this but I am pretty sure that the exposed charging port is no problem on the rechargeable Surefires. It is supposed to be internally sealed.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problems with my R1 Lawman when used under rain. The only concern I have is mud and grit getting lodged in there. Kind of dumb for Surefire not to have thought about that.

vkimo

Newly Enlightened
I guess it's safe to assume then that the Lawman/Commader fall under the same water resistant standard as the other Surefire lights? Seems like SF has a tendency to downplay their lights resiliency to water. They're almost one piece of metal with o rings.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire's official response is that the lights are weatherproof but not submersible.

I've washed my R1 multiple times (with soap and water), and besides some undefined behavior due to conductance that required resetting the light with the tail switch, there were no problems.