Niteye EYE10 TiC and tritium vials

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
So according to this thread and the below picture, the Niteye EYE10 TiC (titanium and carbon fiber version) has 6 pre-drilled holes for tritium vials in the cooling fins. I have checked mine and they are indeed there. I was wondering if anybody here has done the mod and can confirm what size vials they need. I cannot find any information that says definitively if I should use 1.5mm x 6mm or 2mm x 8mm vials. Also, do I need to use Norland optical adhesive to hold them in place, or is it OK to just leave them in there with no glue?

Also, can you install these vials by just removing the bezel at the front of the light or do they have to be installed from the ring side?

Any help would be appreciated.

HQ7uoeW.jpg

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I gotta say that light with those trits is probably the best looking mass produced light I've seen. That thing just looks sick!

I can't help you with the trit size for that though, perhaps you could also try to email niteye directly?

And most people seem to use norland optical adhesive to hold trits in place.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've only owned earlier versions that required Steve Ku's replacement fin which comes drilled for trits and doesn't require any adhesive to retain the trits.

Norm

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting that. That was actually what I linked to in my first post. I couldn't really figure out what that dude was saying in post 25. I ended up just ordering six 2x8mm ice blue vials from B@rt on cpfmp. Hopefully they fit :duh2:

I guess buying the vials is only half the story. Have you managed to get the flashlight apart enough to be able to install the vials in the holes?

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
I guess buying the vials is only half the story. Have you managed to get the flashlight apart enough to be able to install the vials in the holes?

I have not. It is my understanding that Niteye/Jetbeam is a fan of thread lock, so I imagine I am going to have to submerge the light in some boiling water to break the seal. I also have an XM-L2 U2 1A and an XM-L2 T6 4C mounted on 16mm Noctigon copper MCPCB's on the way from intl-outdoor.com. I am waiting for everything to be in hand before I start breaking apart the light.

jimzilla

Newly Enlightened
I have not. It is my understanding that Niteye/Jetbeam is a fan of thread lock, so I imagine I am going to have to submerge the light in some boiling water to break the seal. I also have an XM-L2 U2 1A and an XM-L2 T6 4C mounted on 16mm Noctigon copper MCPCB's on the way from intl-outdoor.com. I am waiting for everything to be in hand before I start breaking apart the light.

Yes, the EYE10 TIC with trits installed does look awesome. oRAirwolf or other trailblazers please post your experiences with trit vial installation ease and methods as I am certain others are considering this mod. I know I will be ordering if the process is reasonable and results as spectacular as the photo. Thanks in advance!

GoSmitty

Newly Enlightened
So, I am taking the liberty of reviving this thread in hopes that more info has come up about how to do this mod. oRAirwolf has a more recent thread elsewhere that details his experience with this mod, and it looks like a total PITA, however, to be fair, he was also modding the driver. From his experience according to that thread, 2x8's were a bit thick and required boring out the pre-drilled holes with a titanium-coated bit. My EYE10 TiC is on its way from a fellow user over on the MP, and the anticipation is killing me. The previous owner already had Vinh mod the driver to a 4000k XML-2 on copper, so I won't have to mess with that. I'm thinking 1.5x8's in ice blue or alternating yellow/green (Go Ducks!). So, I while away the hours on here, hoping someone else has some experience with this. Who knows, maybe we'll nudge oRAirwolf himself to come back and discuss his experience (if you want the link, you'll have to PM me, I don't think we're supposed to link to outside sites from posts).

Cheers,

~Smitty

Last edited:

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
So, I am taking the liberty of reviving this thread in hopes that more info has come up about how to do this mod. oRAirwolf has a more recent thread elsewhere that details his experience with this mod, and it looks like a total PITA, however, to be fair, he was also modding the driver. From his experience according to that thread, 2x8's were a bit thick and required boring out the pre-drilled holes with a titanium-coated bit. My EYE10 TiC is on its way from a fellow user over on the MP, and the anticipation is killing me. The previous owner already had Vinh mod the driver to a 4000k XML-2 on copper, so I won't have to mess with that. I'm thinking 1.5x8's in ice blue or alternating yellow/green (Go Ducks!). So, I while away the hours on here, hoping someone else has some experience with this. Who knows, maybe we'll nudge oRAirwolf himself to come back and discuss his experience (if you want the link, you'll have to PM me, I don't think we're supposed to link to outside sites from posts).

Cheers,

~Smitty

Yeah, it was a PITA for sure. If I were to do it over, I would probably go with regular green vials, as the ice blue ones are barely visible, even in the dark. I have been super lazy and haven't replaced the driver, even though I got 2 of them from Bill at doingoutdoor. I will probably have another crack at it after I get settled in at my new place. Feel free to ask any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

dweano

Newly Enlightened
Kinda off topic, but where did that pic from? The titanium looks darkened, which I think is sweet. In all other pics I see of that light it is bright silver titanium.

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
Kinda off topic, but where did that pic from? The titanium looks darkened, which I think is sweet. In all other pics I see of that light it is bright silver titanium.

I believe I just found it in a random Google image search. I'm pretty sure it is a very long exposure shot in the dark with a very nice camera.

Triac

Newly Enlightened

Cheers,

~Smitty

I have the same light and just got it back from Vn. Same 4000K XML-2 on copper, slight boost and ice blue trits installed. 2 x 8 are the right size trits. I think the issue is that when they machine that part, the holes are drilled for the trits before the cooling slots are cut. There were just some metal burrs that block the holes. Just a quick in and out with a 2 mm drill bit took care of that. Trits dropped in just fine. I agree with OP that the ice blue trits are not as bright as I expected and not nearly as bright as the photo in the 1st post. In hindsight, I too would probably order the green (brightest). Still, it serves its purpose to be able to find the light in the dark. Very frustrating mod due to all the thread lock used by the factory. Had to boil in a bag 3 times before it came apart. During disassemble, the wires came loose from the board and the led. Since Vinh did your upgrade, it might come apart easier but don't know for sure. Either way, you have to handle it very carefully to be able to drill out holes and insert trits. You may have access to only one or two trit holes at a time depending on wire length inside. Also, the trits only go in to the finned section from the end at the joint with the selector ring. When unscrewing this joint, remember that the wires are twisting as well. Also be careful with tools used to grip when unscrewing as this titanium marks easily! Once I got my trits from bart, I sent my light loosely reassembled to Vn and he upgraded the LED and put it all back together. Am a very happy camper now but :broke:!

Last edited:

dweano

Newly Enlightened
I believe I just found it in a random Google image search. I'm pretty sure it is a very long exposure shot in the dark with a very nice camera.

Makes sense. I wonder how hard it would be to darken the titanium, its gotta be possible. My wedding ring is darkened titanium with carbon fiber!

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
Makes sense. I wonder how hard it would be to darken the titanium, its gotta be possible. My wedding ring is darkened titanium with carbon fiber!

Perhaps a jeweler would know. I imagine you would need some type of titanium nitride coating using a PVD bonding process. Probably more effort than it is worth.