any blind cpfer's ???

hkenawy

Newly Enlightened
well i was watching a tv show with a blind spy which got me thinking, if i ever became blind what would be the point of having flashlights
so i was wondering are there any blind people here on cpf, i know they have braille keyboards out there and screen readers for the blind

this could be interesting :poke:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once went to a school for the blind to ask about sign language classes... your question remids me of this. lol. (BTW, I thought it was a school for the deaf.)

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
I am sure someone, somewhere, is working on "glasses" that has a small camera in them, that will send an electronic signal to the visual cortex, allowing the blind wearer to see.
And I am also sure, someone on CPF will get their hands on a set and modify it with LEDs so the wearer can use them in the dark.
Then someone will come along and add IR vision so the wearer can see in the dark, then they will become all the rage and everyone will want them, then the price will quadruple, and the blind people will not be able to afford them anymore.
Then China will come along and make $10 copies that will short circuit and give everyone electronic lobotomies.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's the tv show?

i love US-series with spy subject. Homeland, The Americans, Burn Notice, Chuck :D, Nikita, ..

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling if there are any blind CPF members they are not reading this post 1st person. I'm not totally blind but I do drive by braille.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yes, we do have legally blind people come here for help.

Not long ago, we had a gentleman with macular degeneration resulting in extreme tunnel vision.
IIRC he had retinitis pigmentosa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinitis_pigmentosa

He asked in the recommend me a light section of the forum to help him select a high intensity narrow beam thrower so that he could find the dock when returning with his boat at night.

Poppy

PS. I found his thread
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-for-a-couple-situations&highlight=pigmentosa

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I was blind for a few months due to an injury...but it was in the mid 1970's....and there were only ican flashlights, no LEDs out yet...so it was about the same thing....

J-B

Newly Enlightened
I believe there are certain kinds of blindness which allow the eyes to let through light but no distinct shapes, which makes this person able to see differences in lightness and darkness.
This could be a reason to use a flashlight.

Empath

Flashaholic
You're considered legally blind if your corrected vision isn't at least 20/200. It's not a matter of whether or not light can be seen.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
My great-aunt had night blindness. She died before advanced LEDs came into wide use, but they would have been a great help to her independence to be able to remove any night present to see.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that I'd be considered legally blind were it not for eyeglasses. I'm certainly glad that I did not live prior to the invention of corrective eyewear, as I'm sure my life would have been, to paraphrase Hobbes, "nasty, brutish, and short."

I laughed when the lady at the DMV asked me if I wanted to take my eye test without my glasses, so I could get the restriction removed from my license. Trust me, lady, you don't want me driving anywhere, much less in northern VA, without corrective eyewear - the results will NOT be good!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I laughed when the lady at the DMV asked me if I wanted to take my eye test without my glasses, so I could get the restriction removed from my license. Trust me, lady, you don't want me driving anywhere, much less in northern VA, without corrective eyewear - the results will NOT be good!
For what it's worth my uncorrected vision is 20/200 or thereabouts and I have no problems cycling without my glasses. I can't read street signs until I'm nearly on top of them but I can easily see things I need to see to ride safely. Driving a car might be another matter. The higher speeds means I need to see things a lot further out in order to avoid hitting them. I don't drive or own a car, so the point is moot.

TRiley

Newly Enlightened
Yes you do have at least one. I am legally blind I have Retinitis Pigmentosa that has left me a visual field of less than 15 degrees (tunnel vision) and absolutely no night vision at all my eyes never adjust to the dark it ls like locking your shelf in a closet with a towel under the door. I use a flashlight more than most just to get through simple daily tasks. Until I found CPF I had no idea what a really good flashlight was or what to look for in a light. I have and HDS 200 rotary on order that should help. If that does not do the trick I will try a Mcgizmo or a mac if I can afford it.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
TRiley - welcome - those sound like good choices! I wish I had one on order too.

There's a lady at my local Chemist shop (Pharmacy) that needs to use optical help to see things. She is quite adept with a little mini telescope kind of thing - a bit like the viewfinder some film Directors used to hang around their necks. But now she uses a device shaped like a smart phone - it magnifies the image of anything it is pointed at and the screen is intensely bright and contrasty. I'd love to know if she needs torches (flashlights) to see too. Maybe I'll ask the next time I'm in there.

TRiley

Newly Enlightened
I have a Aumed magnifier for reading small print it's about the size of a deck of cards that works very well for me. The lack of night vision come for the Retinitis Pigmentosa has to do with the rods and cones in your retina that allow you to see at night. Not all visually impaired people have the night vision problem.