Looking for a PLASTIC "single AAA" LED light

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a PLASTIC \"single AAA\" LED light

I would like to find a Plastic AAA "ARC TYPE" of light, that takes a single AAA.

I would also like to be waterproof, and have the LED exposed (not recessed).

Anyone know of anything like this?

I am using a Inova Microlight on my dog's collar, for our nightly walks at night, and would prefer to use an AAA battery over a coincell, but the ARC is too heavy, and would hit her when she is running.

Thanks,

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Looking for a PLASTIC

Maybe you could rig up some kind of mod, where you separate the arc aaa head from the battery with wires. You'd tie the battery to her collar so it's lengthwise with the collar instead of flopping around. Then you'd have the tiny flashlight head with the LED which you could mount or hang some other way. You could un-recess the LED by attacking the surrounding part of the head with a bench grinder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I think the Arc AAA weighs around 21 grams with alkaline battery and the battery by itself weighs around 12 grams, so the flashlight weighs only 9 grams. A plastic version would not likely save very much. You might save a few grams by using a zinc-carbon aaa battery instead of an alkaline. Those won't run the light as long, but they're cheap and they weigh a little less.

If you put a yellow or orange led in your inova, you can run it on one cr2032 coin cell instead of two cr2016's. The 2032 has higher capacity and should run much longer. But that color led may be less visible than a white or blue one.

Another idea is use a photon iii in flashing mode. That should be very visible, and run for quite a long time because the duty cycle is fairly low.

Empath

Flashaholic

There is a single AAA plastic light by BK Precision. I found them at Frys in the test instruments section. It's with the test instruments because it is sold as a combination AC detector and LED flashlight. On one side it has a small red LED that glows if it's within one to fifteen inches of an AC source.

I can't say what the water resistance is, even though I bought one. When I brought it home, my wife saw it, and said it should be wrapped in paper and stuck under the christmas tree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Along with it, I purchased the new LedLenser single AAA LED light.

Edit: Ah, I found some information on the web about it.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened

Even better, you could buy 20 Countycomm lights, and just use the LED in other projects when you're done. Much cheaper than buying an Arc AAA and replacing cells.

Bill.H

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Mark_Larson said:
Even better, you could buy 20 Countycomm lights, and just use the LED in other projects when you're done. Much cheaper than buying an Arc AAA and replacing cells.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm doing exactly that, it works great. When the batteries die you get a nice splitring and a good LED to play with - it's cheaper to replace the light than it is to buy batteries!