Question about the Surefire A2

tenregular11

Newly Enlightened
What would a NIB A2 be worth today and would the flat bodied cost more or less than the round?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Price Check for a Surefire A2

What would a NIB A2 be worth today and would the flat bodied cost more or less than the round?

If condition is mint, there are several factors which may generally increase collectible value of an A2 ... including the 4-flats tube, and BK anodizing. Some may prefer the (very early) flat bezel, also.

The "market value" fluctuates, and discussion of this is discouraged here, but a search of CPFMP will easily show you what these have sold for (and when) - ;)

scout24

Flashaholic

Thank you, archimedes, for pointing out the value of the search function... :thumbsup:

tenregular11

Newly Enlightened

Are you referring to the non-crenulated bezel?

He most certainly is. It's flat when it's standing on the bezel. Those look really funny to me, like the end of a telescope or something. :crackup:But they're nice, very unique and old school.

The reason I was asking about the value of the A2 is because I asked a seller what body type it is, and he said, "Round, thus the price." So I figured there must be a significant price difference between the two body types. But from my research there really isn't, more of a preference thing.

carrot

Flashaholic

There's something interesting to note with the A2. I forget the exact specifics but the older 4-sided flat body A2 had slightly different regulation settings than the newer 3-sided round body A2, resulting in the 3-sided squeezing a little more juice out of the batteries before dropping out of regulation. The older A2 was programmed to drop out sooner so that there was plenty of runtime left in the LEDs but in practice most people change the batteries out around the same time that the incan refuses to come on.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks carrot - great to know !

I wonder if anyone has done a (comparison) runtime test ... ?

EDIT - a quick search does not show that one has been posted yet :)

Last edited: