Question about power coating bike parts.

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
I was asked to powder coat some bike parts for a guy at work. I know I need to mask off all the threads, but I wasn't sure about the areas that are highlighted in the photo.

bikeParts1_zps9df12cec.jpg

On the handle bar stem, there's an arrow which says "MAX HT" (#1 in the above photo). Should I powder coat everything above that line?

bikeParts2_zps476b06f1.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
Well, I went ahead a did everything except for the threads. Hopefully the tolerances aren't so tight that the coating will interfere.

bikeParts5_zps9c841b19.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great! Sorts looks like a dark anodizing.

I'll admit that I do wonder how well it will wear, though. Especially the stem, where it inserts into the steerer tube. The cranks might also have some issues with rub from the shoes too. Well, essentially the same places the original anodizing suffered a lot of wear, I suppose. All potential finishes will have trouble at these spots.

How is the reassembly going? Any need to ream out any holes to make room for fasteners or for the handlebar?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I doubt that area #1 will provide that much of an issue.

Area # 2 might, these are usually a pretty tight fit. There are _many_ different handlebar OD's so if you have difficulties you might be able to find one that is 0.2mm smaller diameter.

With regards to area # 4, the greatest issue will be using Campagnolo or aluminum chainring bolts. The common steel chainring bolts may have enough clearance. If you take a measurement of the ID there, I'd be happy to take a few measurements from my chainring bolt stash to see if some would be a tighter fit than others.

Edit: I seem to recall those Sugino cranks being heavy. :)
Good job on the parts, they look much improved compared to the originals.

Last edited:

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I shouldn't have procrastinated and posted this thread earlier in the weekend.

How is the reassembly going? Any need to ream out any holes to make room for fasteners or for the handlebar?

I haven't heard anything yet. He was given the parts yesterday and his biggest concern was with the handlebar stem. I told him I'd strip it, media blast it and do it over again if it's a problem.

If you take a measurement of the ID there, I'd be happy to take a few measurements from my chainring bolt stash to see if some would be a tighter fit than others.

Edit: I seem to recall those Sugino cranks being heavy. :)

Thanks for offering. I knew I should have asked for help earlier!

As for the cranks, I'm not sure about the weight. I know he buys a lot of old bikes off craigslist for dirt cheap, fixes them up and resells them. He'll ask me to do it again in the future, I'm sure. At least now I know which parts to mask off. :eek: