Flashlights with two LEDs using individual reflectors. Annoying?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I've noticed some people will mod their lights to have two LEDs right next to each other behind separate reflectors. Does that get annoying in real world usage?

I'm assuming the beam is much more of a flat line (generally speaking) than having, say, 3 LEDs equidistant from each other (in a triangle style setup).

I've seen the "2 LED" mods on some of those LEDzeppelin works, some MilkySpit stuff, ElektroLumens, etc. I will say I've also seen some lights (modded Surefire M6s most of all) with two small LEDs behind individual reflectors next to each other on one half of the head, while having a much bigger LED below those two installed in the head on the other side of the head.

I'm thinking that'd be a nuisance because if you rotate the light in your hand (clockwise or counterclockwise) the beam is going to be completely different because it'll change the location of the LEDs and where the beams are being projected.

Am I correct? I'm not knocking the idea- I actually think it's pretty fascinating, but I'm just curious if it causes more annoyance than it's worth for the extra output.

Thanks!