Tiny extra o-ring from my HDS clicky?

creyc

Enlightened
I know a picture would have been great, but I forgot to take one so I'll do my best to describe.

I received an HDS Clicky high-CRI just a few days ago and noticed an extra o-ring sitting around the outside of the narrowest portion of the battery tube. The o-ring is very tiny, and looks like something from the lens or bezel. I unscrewed front bezel (by hand pretty easily) and it appears to have o-rings in place, although I can't tell if it may be missing one without knowing the correct assembly.

There is a small o-ring in front of the lens, of similar size to the "extra" ring I found. Then the lens sitting in its rubber gasket. Behind the lens is another tiny o-ring, sitting in the lip on the reflector. At the base of the reflector threads is another, larger o-ring. On the back of the reflector is another large o-ring of the same size, then comes the main flashlight body. A total of 4 o-rings in the head (2 small, 2 big) plus a rubber gasket around the lens.

Next is the main battery compartment, another large o-ring at the base of the threads here.

Finally the tailcap, and I did have to disassemble this to install the pocketclip, so I wonder if this is the source of the extra o-ring. The order here is flashlight body, then pocketclip, then another large o-ring seated at the base of the threads, followed by the tailcap. There doesn't appear to be any o-rings inside the tailcap.

Does this all sound correct or am I missing an o-ring someplace? I'm afraid the water resistance of the light could be compromised if this o-ring should be someplace, but I suppose it could just as easily be an extra packaging goof?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
*edit: sorry, misread. As far as I can see, none are missing. It sounds like you got an extra one...

It could also be there for cosmetic purpose, to fill the gap between the tailcap and the body if you don't use the clip.

Last edited:

creyc

Enlightened
I suppose that's possible, it's about the same thickness as the pocketclip material anyway.

I did find this interesting post by PAS1 in the HDS Systems thread: Post #592

Yes it is, thanks. I already contacted HDS and they're sending me another O-ring. Oddly enough I recall disassembling/reassembling the bezel once and having an extra O-ring. At the time I couldn't figure out where it came from. Now I know.

There's also this photo, which matches what I see on mine, too.

twisty.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
If it is very thin and you found it "outside" of the light, it is most likely the one that is used to fill the gap between the tailcap and the battery tube. It just rests in that skinny slot. Henry puts it in there to make it look nice. It is to be removed if you add a pocket clip in that space.

creyc

Enlightened
If it is very thin and you found it "outside" of the light, it is most likely the one that is used to fill the gap between the tailcap and the battery tube. It just rests in that skinny slot. Henry puts it in there to make it look nice. It is to be removed if you add a pocket clip in that space.

Thanks nbp and derfyled, that sounds like exactly what it is, a cosmetic gap filler.