Which light to get for girlfriend?

Hutch

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend has hinted a few times that she'd like an edc flashlight for Christmas, so I've been trying to figure out which one to get her. I suggested a PT Attitude, which is my edc light, but she said that was a little bigger than what she really wanted (it fits in my pocket, so I'm not sure why it won't fit in her purse, but that's another story.) My next idea was to drop the Attitude's led assembly into a PT Blast, but I've read here that doesn't work too well. I then thought about a UK 2AAA eled, but I figure if I'm going to go for a single led, I'd be better off getting an ARC AA or AAA.

Anyone have any advise? I'd like to stay with LEDs and away from 123s.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Chris!

I suggest you visit the Arc Forum to see whether you can get hold of the red anodised ArcAAA they were doing a while back. Put a Purple Traser Glowring on it and she'll be impressed I'm sure.

Al

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Go to your local Home Depot and get a Purple AA MiniMaglight and put a Newbeam or one of the pills in it. Girls like the colored ones...my daughter look one look at my purple AA MiniMag and I haven't seen it since! Inretech used to have a nice selection of colored MiniMags to house their converters in. Might need to ask them.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
If she's looking for small, give her a Dorcy AAA on Xmas and drop an LS-based surprise in her purse sometime later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd have to agree with the suggestion of the Dorcy AAA for the non-flashaholic (just gave one to my brother). But don't tell her where you got it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife likes the PAL light. It's small and the "always on" mode makes it easy to find in her purse or next to her bed at night.

I also gave one to my Mom last year for Christmas and she likes the strobe mode for emergencies.

Another option would be a TW4 and/or E1e/KL1 combo depending on your finances /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nexro

Enlightened
LED and does not use a CR123 - I can only think of an Arc AAA Premium /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Perhaps you can consider an Arc LSH-P with the TSP 2AA pack too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DBrier

Enlightened
The only flashlight I have ever bought that my wife likes is the PAL light.
She has 3 C Mag in her car and I keep offering to get her something better and she always refuses. She doesn't even like the ARC AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote is for the Arc AAA. Else a Sonic would be good too cos its easier to twist on/off. I like the Glowring idea as well, thanks Al!

Dmax

Newly Enlightened
My wife said: "Where is mine?" when I showed her my new ARC AAA LE. I add to the ARC AAA vote. If she says: "It is not as bright as the lights you have", you can always get her something else and keep the ARC for yourself. I have 4 ARC AAAs in different "strategic" location around the house.

The ARC AAA CPF has a very pretty red color. I plan to get for one for my wife. ARC has a Holiday special you can check out on the ARC forum.

Bill.H

Enlightened
Hmmmm sounds to me like she was hinting at an Arc LS...

You were the one that said no 123s, not her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LED and smaller than an Attitude, no 123 cells? Sticking with "standard" batteries:

Arc AAA or AA (you can't go wrong with the AAA!!!)
CMG Ultra or Sonic
Inova X-1
Streamlight Key-Mate (but it uses button cells)

If an Attitude is too big, then all the minimag options might be too big as well - otherwise the Newbeam is great.

paulr

Flashaholic
My mom asked for a flashlight and I got her an Arc LS. She didn't like it because the Kroll switch was too hard to press. I got her a PT Blast instead and she loves it. It's what I recommend, even though it's not LED. The main alternative is an Arc AAA, if she wants a keychain light. My mom needed something brighter.

NickA

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Dmax said:
My wife said: "Where is mine?" when I showed her my new ARC AAA LE.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife also expressed interest in an Arc AAA premium for her keychain after seeing mine, highly recommended.

Nick

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
I recommend an Inova X1 or X5.
Failing that, a CNC-123 should do the trick - small, shiny, and very bright.

Face it - your gift will be evaluated on three criteria:
1. How pretty is it?
2a. Is it worthy of carrying (on its own merit)
2b. Does it fit in my favorite purse(s)?
3. Does it match my shoes?

IMHO, anything too "technical" or "tactical" or plain manly-looking is not going to appeal too much to her. My girlfriend likes my red Dorcy more than photos of Arc AAAs and Surefires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm not that crazy about the CMG Sonic. The Arc AAA is much better designed. If you can get a black one, I find those more attractive. The CPF red ones look good too. The natural HA probably appeals mainly to the flashaholic crowd.

Inova X1 is a nice looking light but the beam is too narrow. X5 has a nice wide beam but the light is too wide.

UKE 2aaa penlight occurs to me. I have a few of those and they're nice. Don't feel constrained to get an LED light. The penlight probably fits in the purse more easily than anything else its size.

Or, if a 1-LED light is enough, consider a coin cell light, maybe one of the new Arcs in wood finish.

Why not show her some of your lights and find out what she wants in terms of brightness, size, etc.?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know I was rummaging through a box of lights tonight and found my PT Attitude. You mentioned something about taking the module out, I presume to put it into a two AAA light. But you know it is very small and nice just as it is. For a woman that has small hands it's a very nice size. Three leds more light, reconsider it.

EDIT: Oops I re-read your first post where she thinks it's a little big, that's too bad. But I would go with both the ARC-AAA and an Attitude, she might like one for the keychain and one for the purse since they both run of AAA's. Or maybe she could put the Attitude in the glove box?

The other thing is have you considered getting her an ARC-AAA in turquoise color? Alot of women love that color beam.

GregR

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree that the Attitude is on the big side. I heard nice things here about the Rage (same size as Attitude) but when I went to buy one, I felt it was too big, so I bought the 2-cell Blast instead and love it. You can't really run the Attitude module in the Blast (not enough voltage), but I've heard of people modding the Blast to take the Opalec Newbeam. Now that combination might make a nice gift, if its uniqueness is appreciated.