MagLite's Current Warranty Policy!

Lenp

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm new to the forum but I have been a Warranty Service Center for Maglite for several years, so here is some information just to clear up the new MagLite policy changes

In March of this year (2013) some new policy changes affected both the customer and the warranty service centers.
The 'Lifetime Warranty' that covered just about everything on your flashlight has changed. In the past, battery corrosion damage was covered if the batteries were from one of the big three, Duracell, Eveready or Rayovac. Actually, they did not offer the coverage; it was a courtesy extension of the battery manufacturer's warranty for the MagLite customer.

Under the present policy, this battery damage coverage is limited to Rayovac batteries, if the battery can be determined to be still within it's expiration date. In effect, that is still not much coverage since getting the batteries out unscathed so the date can be determined is usually impossible. Along with this change was the deletion of the glass lens and reflector from warranty coverage for the rechargeable units.

Next, according to this new policy, if a corrosion damaged unit was to be repaired, the cost of repair parts was borne by the owner.
Unfortunately, coupled with all this was a drastic parts price increase for repair parts, not only at the retail level, but also at the Service Center level. So much in fact that a barrel and tail cap now costs a Service Center as much as a replacement flashlight at Wal-mart, but the retail pricing went up just a moderate amount!
Why and what was the logic behind all this? Only Mag Industries knows....

So, if you send a leaker in for repairs, it will not be repaired free. Their web site mentions that but we still get rotted units in for service every day. Our non-Mag approved personal policy is if it can be repaired with minimal effort and made serviceable we do it, but if metal parts are required the customer must pay, and they usually decline due to cost.

The good side is that under current policies, every unit that is received gets a switch change, working or not. If the service center does not change the switch, we don't get paid (little that it is!).
The old mechanical recharger switches are now obsolete and not in production, but they are being upgraded with a replacement electronic switch and tail cap spring. This new switch offers several programmable modes like, flash, dim, SOS, momentary. The switches in the other product line are unchanged.

About the Warranty Service Center...
We operate under MagLite guidelines for the most part. Most service centers have other business interests since you cannot live on MagLite repair money. If you go to the MagLite web site there is a WSC finder that will locate the nearest service centers to you. We are located on the East Coast and currently have the MD, PA, DE, DC, VA, and parts of surrounding areas, but, we will service units shipped in from anyplace. We carry extensive parts for the Mini's, incandescent and LED C/D's and the 6 volt recharger.

In accordance with the Maglite Warranty Service Center policies, no service center only stocks parts for the incandescent mini Mags, the incandescent C & D in all cell counts, the D 2 and 3 cell LED and the 6 volt recharger and it's accessories. Only black exterior parts are stocked. Anything else gets shipped to the service center at the factory in CA.

If you send a unit to any service center please include your return address and contact info INSIDE the package. We must ship all but the Mini-Mags back via UPS, and they will not deliver to a P.O. box, so give a physical address. You would be surprised how many units we get that the only customer information is that it was shipped from Staples, Office depot or a shipping store. Guess they live there!

MagLite still pays the return shipping and all parts, with the exceptions noted, are free. We must turn in a part to receive credit or else we are charged for it. We cannot ship free parts, like the factory might, but we can sell most parts. With the new policies, there will likely be no flashlight replacements as in the past.

If there are any future changes in the MagLite warranty policy. I'll make an effort to post them as well.

Thanks,

Any questions, comments...Fire them off!

Last edited:

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
Hi Lenp...welcome to CPF. Thanks for all that current info. All my Mags are up and working well...maybe not the solitaire,but that's OK. In todays day and age...everything does change...thanks again.

Sgt Lumpy

Newly Enlightened
A replacement new Mag, any size, costs less than the price of shipping, waiting, buying new parts. I've always looked at the Mag guarantee as simply a statement of their build quality. They don't break, I've certainly tried. My 30 year old Mags are still working like they did when they were hanging off my Sam Brown. I had no idea they had "Warranty Service Centers". I can't imagine there being enough repairs or service needed to support such a network.

Sgt Lumpy

Lenp

Newly Enlightened
I can't imagine there being enough repairs or service needed to support such a network.

Yes, there is a world wide network of Warranty Service Stations. In the three years we have been a WSC we have serviced over 1,000 units. Many are from police and security organizations that still rely on the rechargers. It is a dependable unit, and has a charger cradle that can be vehicle or line powered.
Well, maybe it's not such a bright, or modern light, but, in a skirmish, it hits well:sssh:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A replacement new Mag, any size, costs less than the price of shipping, waiting, buying new parts. I've always looked at the Mag guarantee as simply a statement of their build quality. They don't break, I've certainly tried. My 30 year old Mags are still working like they did when they were hanging off my Sam Brown. I had no idea they had "Warranty Service Centers". I can't imagine there being enough repairs or service needed to support such a network.

Sgt Lumpy

I've had plenty break, but, I can be hard on stuff...and they certainly broke less than the cheap plastic alternatives, etc. I think they are well made, and, as mentioned, the majority of the damge being repaired is because they use Alka-leaks....and as everyone should know by now, Alka-Leaks wreck flashlights when the electrolyte leaks out and corrodes stuff.

I have some mags in my rotation, modded, and use Nimhs in them instead to avoid the corrosion issues.

Lenp - Thanks so much for the info!

I hear Mag is upgrading the entire line up soon, any news on the progress?

T45

Enlightened
I have 6 maglites, a collection of 2,3, and 4 D cells, and one C cell. They have always worked and whenever I had a battery leak I sent it back to get repaired/replaced for free. On one memorable occasion I found a mini mag AA in the trash with a stuck and corroded battery in it and got it repaired. Gave it to a co-worker who likes Mini Mags. There are people who complain about maglites, but those things LAST.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2D that just stopped working, not a battery leaker issue.

Where do I send it to? Is there a center close to me on the east coast, in Maryland or VA?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where do I send it to? Is there a center close to me on the east coast, in Maryland or VA?
Clean your switch. A quick search engine will turn up some tutorial videos. Grease it with nyogel, no-ox-id, or something like that before re-assembly.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd walk into any big box store where where your model is still on the shelf, Target, walmart, Home Depot, lowes , sears etc. & they will replace it even without a receipt. Of course it probably has to still be a currently manufactured model for that to work, or at least sold there recently.

apart from that tactic, I treat maglites as disposables. Not a slight either, as they make edc's unmatched by any manufacturer for my purposes/preferences. I just mean disposable for the price & what they are, level of quality, I don't think I'd ever bother with a maglite warranty or spend the time and money mailing one off somewhere especially.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two forms saved as PDF for warranty returns but I can't seem to get them to post here. PM me if you want them via email. This is the address on the forms and where I've previously sent some lights for repairs.

Mag Instrument Inc,
Attn: Warranty Department
2001 S. Hellman Avenue
Ontario, CA 91761

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM sent.

I also have another Mag that has the dreaded battery leaker issues, would Maglite warrant something like that?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd walk into any big box store where where your model is still on the shelf, Target, walmart, Home Depot, lowes , sears etc. & they will replace it even without a receipt. Of course it probably has to still be a currently manufactured model for that to work, or at least sold there recently.

apart from that tactic, I treat maglites as disposables. Not a slight either, as they make edc's unmatched by any manufacturer for my purposes/preferences. I just mean disposable for the price & what they are, level of quality, I don't think I'd ever bother with a maglite warranty or spend the time and money mailing one off somewhere especially.

^^ I'm with this!
But I can see where it's not in some folks budget to just go out and plunk down $35 for a new 2D.

Actually I've yet to have a mag fail other than when trying to do something it wasn't meant for like spike it on my driveway when mad about something else...or breaking a switch in a mini mag trying to install a drop in wrong.

Far as I know they go to California for repairs.

Hey PAS1, have you tried sanding all contact points?
Could be the switch failed on ya. Rare, but it does happen.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Why Maglite would warranty damage from any battery is beyond me anyway. There are so many crappy leaky alkalines out there, that's just asking for trouble. Really, all they can expect to warranty is what they manufacture themselves. Maybe they should put a disclaimer on the package and say that they recommend lithium batteries, otherwise you need to keep an eye on the alkalines. :xyxgun:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why Maglite would warranty damage from any battery is beyond me anyway. There are so many crappy leaky alkalines out there, that's just asking for trouble. Really, all they can expect to warranty is what they manufacture themselves. Maybe they should put a disclaimer on the package and say that they recommend lithium batteries, otherwise you need to keep an eye on the alkalines. :xyxgun:
They can't do that when some of their lights fry on NiMH. NiMH and Lithium primary handle amp draw far better than alkalines, that's the problem and they don't design to account for it in a lot of their models.

Mag took the halfway step of saying "okay, we only endorse Rayovac" or whatever. The full step would be Maglite brand alkalines (if that's what they insist on using.) Me? I'd just design the things to take NiMH and be done with it.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They can't do that when some of their lights fry on NiMH. NiMH and Lithium primary handle amp draw far better than alkalines, that's the problem and they don't design to account for it in a lot of their models.

Which ones fry with NiMHs?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which ones fry with NiMHs?
Don't have a list, but have seen several writeups saying "no nimh." Mind boggling.

AFAIK, the only Maglites officially supporting NiMH are the Magchargers (and they want you to buy the Maglite pack so they made it a funky size.)

I don't understand this move. I really don't.

Here's an example of Mag not really supporting nimh. The light didn't fry in this case:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?362655-Weird-problem-with-Maglite-XL50

IIRC, Mag says not to use NiMH OR lithium primaries.

Last edited: