HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fenix PD35 ,850 Lm,powerful,compact 18650 flashlight-REVIEW

Unenlightened

Default Re: Fenix PD35 ,850 Lm,powerful,compact 18650 flashlight-REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLion View Post
    Thank you!
    Congratulations for the light.
    I use protected Keeppower batteries and Nitecore I4 charger. I am pleased with them.
    Fenix has now a new 3400mAh battery and very interesting smart charger.They are also a good choice.
    The light came with an Egtac 3400mAh battery and Lanbo charger. I'm pretty sure I don't trust either one. I'll be looking into your recommendations. Thank c

I also need a heavier duty belt case as I am a Police Officer and I plan on carrying this light at work. The one that comes with won't fit on my belt.

Fenixtactical has a leather holster for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Djs105 View Post
    The light came with an Egtac 3400mAh battery and Lanbo charger. I'm pretty sure I don't trust either one. I'll be looking into your recommendations. Thank c

I also need a heavier duty belt case as I am a Police Officer and I plan on carrying this light at work. The one that comes with won't fit on my belt.
    I don't have Eagletac batteries(I think this is the battery you have-green and white color),but as far as I know they are one of the best batteries,well made protection circuit and original Panasonic cell inside. You can use it without a doubt.
    About the charger,I don't know it. I am pleased with the Nitecore I4 charger that I use.Not the best build quality,but charging quite well and fully stops when the batteries are charged.
    You can see more recommendations in the "Flashlight electronics" part of the forum.

Flashaholic

Last Saturday found me in a locally owned outdoors store. They had a stack of PD35's on the counter sale-priced at $70. Recalling your excellent review, I grabbed one - and a Fenix 18650 (I got an I2 charger and a pair of 18650's with my M22 in the late summer. My M22 and older M21 worked nicely off of the 18650's, so I was recently sold on them.). The PD35 is a new favorite here - a handy size and super easy to use, too. Thanks for the excellent review. I don't know what this world is coming to... I am a dyed in the wool Surefire & CR123 lover... and now I am bragging on my Fenix and Olight lights - and Li-ion rechargeables. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Nice review !

Great review and oustanding photos/videos. Thanks for putting in all of that work/time.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

Quote Originally Posted by Stainz View Post
    Last Saturday found me in a locally owned outdoors store. They had a stack of PD35's on the counter sale-priced at $70. Recalling your excellent review, I grabbed one - and a Fenix 18650 (I got an I2 charger and a pair of 18650's with my M22 in the late summer. My M22 and older M21 worked nicely off of the 18650's, so I was recently sold on them.). The PD35 is a new favorite here - a handy size and super easy to use, too. Thanks for the excellent review. I don't know what this world is coming to... I am a dyed in the wool Surefire & CR123 lover... and now I am bragging on my Fenix and Olight lights - and Li-ion rechargeables. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!
    Congratulations on the new light. PD35 is really good combination of compact size,high brightness and battery type/capacity.
    Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
    Nice review !
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by HIDblue View Post
    Great review and oustanding photos/videos. Thanks for putting in all of that work/time.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by FlashLion; 12-06-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Unenlightened

Outstanding review. I have been searching all over the internet for a review of this light and this is by far the most thorough I have been able to find.

Thank you for the great review! I'm sure Surefire is a great brand and may have once been the best lights around but now they are just overpriced compared to other manufactures that have more advanced features/outputsbut. I can't afford to spend all that $$$ on something I can get for a much better price, Fenix is way more reliable than people once thought, I'm very happy with my PD35, flimsy holster but it rides perfect in my carpenter jeans utility pocket. By the way, FenixTactical has leather holsters for this particular model but can not believe their prices.. $50.00 BUCKS!!...who in their right mind is willing to spend all that $$$ on a flashlight holster?....and once shipping is included price comes up to almost $60.00...RIDICULOUS!
    "Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdog View Post
    Outstanding review. I have been searching all over the internet for a review of this light and this is by far the most thorough I have been able to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAMPARITA View Post
    Thank you for the great review! I'm sure Surefire is a great brand and may have once been the best lights around but now they are just overpriced compared to other manufactures that have more advanced features/outputsbut. I can't afford to spend all that $$$ on something I can get for a much better price, Fenix is way more reliable than people once thought, I'm very happy with my PD35, flimsy holster but it rides perfect in my carpenter jeans utility pocket. By the way, FenixTactical has leather holsters for this particular model but can not believe their prices.. $50.00 BUCKS!!...who in their right mind is willing to spend all that $$$ on a flashlight holster?....and once shipping is included price comes up to almost $60.00...RIDICULOUS!
    Thank you. I am glad my review is helpful for you.

Flashaholic*

Thank you for the excellent, informative review. I continue to be amazed at the absolute professional quality reviews being posted here.

I have had some familiarity with the Fenix brand for years, but now that my personal focus is changing from high priced lights to mid-priced, top quality lights, it is a brand I intend to try personally at some point in time. This light appears to be a very good choice.

My only criticism is that I would prefer to see strobe mode instantly available. I would need to do some experimentation with people who know more about strobe techniques than me to learn whether having it come on one second later is even useful, but having it come on immediately is unquestionably better.

Thumbs up Re: Fenix PD35 ,850 Lm,powerful,compact 18650 flashlight-REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Thank you for the excellent, informative review. I continue to be amazed at the absolute professional quality reviews being posted here.

I have had some familiarity with the Fenix brand for years, but now that my personal focus is changing from high priced lights to mid-priced, top quality lights, it is a brand I intend to try personally at some point in time. This light appears to be a very good choice.

My only criticism is that I would prefer to see strobe mode instantly available. I would need to do some experimentation with people who know more about strobe techniques than me to learn whether having it come on one second later is even useful, but having it come on immediately is unquestionably better.
    Thank you for your comment!
    PD35 is not from the Fenix tactical series which is TK. It is good to have a Strobe mode,but here it is not for rapid response.
    My personal opinion is- if you need to use strobe for defense you will need it instantly and mostly momentary.No time to wait a second or two.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My only criticism is that I would prefer to see strobe mode instantly available.
    I agree 100%. If you're in a situation where you're going to need it, every second is critical. There's simply not enough time to engage it.

Great review. I bought this after reading the review and have loved it. I also found out that my old Surefire filters work great on it. It now is my primary carry light for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Obone View Post
    Great review. I bought this after reading the review and have loved it. I also found out that my old Surefire filters work great on it. It now is my primary carry light for hunting.
    Thank you! Glad my review is helpful.
    It's great to have some filters for the favorite light.

Thanks for the review, FlashLion.

Can anyone tell if Nitecore 25.4mm filters (i.e. http://nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=45) will fit PD35?

Why not use the original ones from Fenix designed for the PD35?They can be pre-ordered now and expected around 12-20-13
    "Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

Quote Originally Posted by awes View Post
    Thanks for the review, FlashLion.

Can anyone tell if Nitecore 25.4mm filters (i.e. http://nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=45) will fit PD35?
    Yes, they fit. I got them too.

Hi: Excellent review,seriously. I would like to address the feature that drops the brightness down to 450L. Resetting a light while cycling in traffic at 30 mph does not work for me.

You stated:
    "....As a high performance light,the PD35 accumulates significant heat while at Turbo output.To protect the light and battery,PD35 drops down into the High brightness level after running at Turbo output for about 5 minutes.There is another step down to Mid brightness level after about 30 minutes working on High mode. These steps down are time controlled,so If you want again the higher mode you just have to reset the light(If the flashlight is to hot,reset is not recommend and can cause damage to the flashlight)."

My needs are for cycling. My commute is 1 hour long, I want 1 hour of turbo high run-time. Since I cycle at night during cold periods my lights tend to be cold(very cold). Overheating is never an issue as they are 'forced air cooled" so to speak. So will this light still drop to 450L in 5 minutes? Then drop again to medium after 30 mins? Is this time driven or temperature driven??? I already have a 450 lumen (or better) bike lights. I want a brighter light so this Fenix is appealing, small, self contained, waterproof and really bright. Fenix quality is far superior to most other brands.

Thanks again for your review. I did read most replies including Yeti(cyclist). Hopefully he will chime in as well.

Regards, Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
    Hi: Excellent review,seriously. I would like to address the feature that drops the brightness down to 450L. Resetting a light while cycling in traffic at 30 mph does not work for me.

You stated:
    "....As a high performance light,the PD35 accumulates significant heat while at Turbo output.To protect the light and battery,PD35 drops down into the High brightness level after running at Turbo output for about 5 minutes.There is another step down to Mid brightness level after about 30 minutes working on High mode. These steps down are time controlled,so If you want again the higher mode you just have to reset the light(If the flashlight is to hot,reset is not recommend and can cause damage to the flashlight)."

My needs are for cycling. My commute is 1 hour long, I want 1 hour of turbo high run-time. Since I cycle at night during cold periods my lights tend to be cold(very cold). Overheating is never an issue as they are 'forced air cooled" so to speak. So will this light still drop to 450L in 5 minutes? Then drop again to medium after 30 mins? Is this time driven or temperature driven??? I already have a 450 lumen (or better) bike lights. I want a brighter light so this Fenix is appealing, small, self contained, waterproof and really bright. Fenix quality is far superior to most other brands.

Thanks again for your review. I did read most replies including Yeti(cyclist). Hopefully he will chime in as well.

Regards, Charlie
    Hello Charlie.
    PD35 steps down controlled by timer,so it will decrease the brightness always after 5 and 30 minutes or if the voltage is not enough for the required mode.You will have to restart it every 5 minutes,which is unacceptable for cycling in my opinion.Simple AMC7135 based driver might be better for bicycle flashlight.
    Thanks

Flashaholic*

You stated:

Regards, Charlie
    hi cyclist here. you need something bigger - so dosnt need to step down, or something temp controlled so it adjusts itself. look at the zebralight SC600 L2, small bright and temp control with full regulation :-). the 35's not for you !

Thanks flashlion and zs&tas. saved me from a big mistake. I'll look into the zebralight. Thanks again, Charlie

Look at eagletac. They step down very little. That's why I bought the g25c2 1180 lumens....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGribbin View Post
    Look at eagletac. They step down very little. That's why I bought the g25c2 1180 lumens....
    The G25C2 is actually 980 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryp View Post
    The G25C2 is actually 980 lumens.
    And it is thrower compared to PD35. Not so good for cycling.
    Thanks flashlion and zs&tas. saved me from a big mistake. I'll look into the zebralight. Thanks again, Charlie
    Glad to help. If you will use it only on your bike better look around for any bike light from the good brands.They offer some really good,powerful bike lights with good beam for cycling.

I just thought of something. If the burst mode does 2.88 Amp drain, how come it is rated on a 2600 mAh battery for 1.25 hours? By my math it would last 54 mins unless I am just completely missing something (I'm not an electronics expert). Can someone explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by techwg View Post
    I just thought of something. If the burst mode does 2.88 Amp drain, how come it is rated on a 2600 mAh battery for 1.25 hours? By my math it would last 54 mins unless I am just completely missing something (I'm not an electronics expert). Can someone explain this?
    This is the initial/maximal possible current draw.It will be at that value as long as the battery can hold it.A single battery can't hold it for long,so the current will decrease after some time.
    I write the initial value just to give you an idea for the maximal possible current draw/brightness allowed by the driver. Since it will change its value,it is impossible to calculate runtime by just one measuring.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Thanks
    Last edited by FlashLion; 12-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks for the review. It took me WAY too long to figure out that this flashlight is the one I wanted.

I donno if there is a sale forum page, but the official Fenix-Store dot com has a good deal on their flashlights with the APP10 10% discount. I not only got the Fenix PD35 but their new 18650B 3400mAH (EDIT noname made in China) protected rechargeable batteries. With the discount, the batteries come out about the same price as the Orbtronics and no sales tax and free shipping. Plus their charger PLUS their over the top HP30 Headlamp. I just couldn't help myself! Imagine hitting a trail with 1700+ lumens. Deer will be blinded, birds will start chirping for the dawn, forest fires will be reported...

EDIT 2013-01-28 I returned the Fenix batteries and charger. the Fenix batteries are made by Shenzhen FTDBattery Industrial Company in China. No specs are available on the $20 each 18650 battery either in the package or on the Fenix website, a glaring omission for such an expensive battery. One of the batteries would not charge with the charger so I returned the batteries and the charger after talking to Fenix and running through some troubleshooting (battery never got above 3.623 volts and eventually would not have the lights come on when in the charger). I bought a set of Orbtronic 18650B Pany celled and protected batteries that DID include the specs for the battery AND were cheaper than the Fenix batteries, heh. They are charging now in a Nitecore 2nd gen charger.

EDIT 2014-04-07 Cannot say enough good things about both the PD-35 and the Obtronics 18650 rechargeable batteries. I bought another PD-35 as I liked the first one so much. The Orbtronics have been tested and charged and I highly recommend.
    Last edited by John Pombrio; 04-07-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Review of batteries

Excellent review and beautiful pictures! I found my way here because I love Fenix products and I'm looking for something a little more powerful than my LD20, and I think this may be the one. My birthday is around the corner and I'm probably going to ask for this (or the Nitecore P12).

Enlightened

I bought one recently and am really impressed by the built and the brightness. Haven't really have a chance to try it outdoor but from my limited time playing with it indoor, it is darn good. I initially wanted the Nitecore P12 but the regular store that I got my flashlights from doesn't carry the Nitecore products. So, I went for the PD35 without any regrets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast