FourSevens        
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us What Do You Use Your HeadLamp For?

Default Re: Tell Us What Do You Use Your HeadLamp For?

1. Five years ago, a neighbor gave me a headlamp to help him work on his big rig at night. I'm on my third headlamp, and I still use them for outdoor repairs at night.
    2. Close work at my desk, day or night.
    3. Cleaning lenses.
    4. Walking at night. Some streets in my town are pretty dark. A light helps drivers see me. If I meet a pedestrian, light reflected off the pavement helps us recognize each other. A light helps me evaluate a prowling animal and get a look at an object of interest.
    5. Chasing aggressive dogs. When a pair bothered me on the street, I shined my light in their eyes, turned it off, and ran at them. They panicked because they were now night blind.
    6. Moving about the house at night. It's more convenient than turning lights on and off. The money I've saved by not leaving lights on has probably paid for my headlamp.
    7. Power failures. With a headlamp I can find my way around and pass the time reading or doing puzzles.

camping and trekking with my Eco star headlamp

I just received an Armytek Wizard Pro, and I love it! I have already used it to put air in my tires, but I anticipate using it for many other purposes over time. I'm especially looking forward to using it on night hikes and camping/backpacking trips in general.

On my last backpacking trip we started hiking at 9 pm, and then the rain started coming down pretty hard after 1.5 hours or so. At that time I did not have a headlamp, and we were trying to set up the tent as fast as possible. The headlamp would have been an amazing help in that situation as well as all the others at camp.

I also plan on using it for many different types of work on my cars. I have always used droplights or regular flashlights, and it has been a pain to move them around and/or hold them in my mouth. My dad has another headlamp, but this new one will be a dream to use with its bright even illumination. I think life will be so much easier when using it for that.

Painting sounds like a great application too, as does working on electronics. I'm just surprised I didn't buy one earlier on. I guess sometimes you don't know what you're missing until you get one.

I only have 2 headlamps, a Surefire Minimus Vision and my new Armytek Wizard Pro Wide. I use the Surefire for up close low light things like when I'm doing emitter swaps on other lights, reading etc. I tend to avoid using it on max because it REALLY can eat through the cells. The Wizard is awesome for what it is. as a headlamp I used it the other night when my wife came home saying the car was making metal on metal noises. Dark plus rain and I'm outside pulling the wheels to check.....yep brakes were gone. I also carry the Wizard daily with the pocket clip, it's probably my favorite light because it can be a (comfortable)headlamp and a handheld.

I use my headlight for camping and hunting. It serves very well when carrying a bow or firearm and leaving the other hand free for pushing brush and limbs out of the way. The strong point is when blood trailing a deer and field dressing, when both hands are definitely needed.

I mainly use my headlamps when camping. It's great to have hands free when tossing up a rope for the food bag when backpacking, or walking the dog around the campground. I've gone from a Petzl Zipka to a Tikka XP2 and now have a Myo RXP for the next trip. Back in my early backpacking days, I carried a Petzl Zoom with the 4.5v battery.

1) Work, underground.
    2) Camping, tent and cabin.
    3) Running I use two, one front around my neck and a red one as a tail light when needed.
    4) Around the house.
    5) Emergency's, power outages.
    6) Model building.

Unenlightened

Hi, I'm a fell runner, go out the door most mornings at 6, whilst we have no large creatures here in Wales, it's good fun spotting the reflective eyes of hares, rabbits, badgers and foxes.

Flashaholic*

Close-up tasks, some walks and cycling for me! It's very long time ago I camped but if I do it again at least one headlamp will be with me.

I use mine for daily jogging in through the forest in the evening. After using a HP25 for a while I´m glad having bought a much lighter Petzl that still emits enough light to see the trail.

Unenlightened

Camping, fishing, household tasks

Sent from my SHW-M250K using Tapatalk

running

I do low voltage wiring and audio/video wiring systems...also home automation. Leads me into dark attics and basements and crawl spaces for hours on end.

Reading in bed, fishing, searching and while repairing

Camping and working on my car.

Mostly hunting, deer and waterfowl as well as car maintenance.

Unenlightened

Popcorn Re: Tell Us What Do You Use Your HeadLamp For?

we used it for fishing and camping

I use mine mostly for hunting hogs. Even when I am not, I like knowing that I have it available if there is a power blackout.

Lately... Snow blowing.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

I use it for all the obvious reasons; hunting, fishing camping, and misc. outside work at night.
    Good Luck, Fat Boy

I'm a diesel mechanic, use it all the time working on stuff.

Camping, Hunting and checking out the things on the property that go bump in the night and freak out my animals.

My Petzl Zoom (old style with the big blocky 4.5v) I use when I go hunting as it lets me see everything when I'm dragging decoys and all my other junk out into the swamp or in the canoe. I swapped the bulb for an LED that I found on the 'bay that came from England. It is much nicer than the old bulb.

I still need to find a replacement for my old 2xAA petzl, The old rubber cover for the battery box lost most of it's elasticity and won't hold the cells in place anymore. As a head lamp it still more than meets my needs for camping and also when I'm actually in my blind as I have the read lens for it. Just need to figure out a cover replacement.

Otherwise I have a couple cheapy Coleman single cell triple LED headlamps that I can tuck in a pocket that work well and also fit the kids heads.

E

Flashaholic

Non-work things (although I'm a small animal vet, and do use a surgical headlamp ) for my Nitecore HC50: camping, working in yard or on boat when it's dark, under the house, reading in bed, walking around the house in the dark without waking spouse/children. Love that lamp!

Flashaholic*

I used my first Petzl Zoom headlamp when I did quite a bit of camping / portaging. Now I have several headlamps and use them for, in no particular order: setting up at trailhead for night mountain-biking, camping (still), soldering battery packs, installing computer parts, car maintenance, looking for things in the hall closet and other household duties and there's a headlamp + spares that I will be putting in my Emergency / BOB kit. I used to have one on my helmet for night-time bike rides but found that dedicated bike lights worked better.
    Looking for: jhanko 'biohazard' V10R Ti clip, Luce de Notte (SS / Ti), SF Z2 (body, complete light, bored, unbored). Pls PM me with an offer.

The wife just used my headlamp to paint her fingernails.

I haven't been using my headlamp quite as often lately, so that makes me realize that I haven't done very many outdoor chores in the last few weeks. My wife just told me that the washer fluid is low in the car though, so I am looking forward to replacing it after dark (on purpose) tomorrow with my headlamp.

I also have another light in the mail which should arrive tomorrow, so I will likely be having a very fun night in general!

Honestly, I just keep mine in my BOB for emergencies. Though no doubt my Princeton-Tec EOS model could easily get the job done on a daily basis. To prevent leaks, I loaded it up with lithiums.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I use mine for crawling under stages while pulling cables and working in the back of equipment racks at work and one always comes camping with me. I use Black Diamond Icons (the old model) when weight isn't an issue and a Petzl Zipka plus 2 when it is.

i'm jealous of the people using theirs for outdoor activities.

mostly indoor for hands free stuff. my recent uses.
    • cooking. as a supplement lighting when preparing food. i just like to have even lighting when cooking. i totally forget it's weird because when i have guests over, the girls giggle. SG5 in neutral. neutral is a must for food.
    • misc. in front of tv. i'm not much of a tv person but i do like to watch certain shows. but i always feel like i have to fiddle with something so i'm usually sewing, replacing guitar strings, relubing flashlights, etc.
    • in hotel. when traveling, i'm always up before my wife so i use it while packing up before checkout. HL10 is small and light. great travel size.

for the future.
    • urban exploration. i would like to do more exploration. my own building or random abandoned ones.
    • night hiking. i miss it a lot and would purposely look for trails when i travel.

i find living in a big city these last few years changed my light use. a headlamp is pretty much worthless outdoors.

Basically any task where I need my hands free and where I may need additional light up close where there's already ambient light just not enough of it or in the right spot.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast