SF pocket clip removal question

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading that someone wanted to remove their clip on their TW4 since it wasn't being used,seeing their logic I tried using a shoestring and it was easy.LOL and as Paul Harvey used to say and now for the rest of the story. I found a small plastic tee with 2 convex bumps on the long portion of the tee.I suspect it might be some sort of bushing for the clip but I haven't figured out how to fit it in the slot with the clip. Any suggestions? or did I find an unrelated part?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I yanked a clip off from one of my SF lights and there was a small plastic tab. I assume it is there to act as a wedge to hold the clip tightly in place when the head is removed.

I ended up reinstalling my clip because the light just didn't look quite right without it, so hang on to that tab just in case you decide to reverse the procedure.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
I found the clip on my SF L4 to be very hard to remove. The shoestring method wouldn't work. I solved the problem by clamping the clip in a table vise and tapping gently with a rubber mallet on the flashlight body.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no problem removing the clip but after reinstalling the o-ring and reinstalling the bezel I saw the o-ring get squeezed in to the slot where the clip was and realized I needed to reinstall the clip. That is where the plastic tee comes in I havent figured out how to reinstall the two items together in the slot.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
To be honest I don't remember exactly, but with my very limited mechanical inclination I did get it back together. If I could do it, I'm sure you can ... there are a pretty limited number of combinations. Just try em out till you find the one that fits. You will need to [lightly] tap it against something to force the wedge and clip back into place.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thank you all I have it back together correctly. I really was not sure the plastic tab was for the Surefire but it looked like it might be.Using the doubled shoestring to remove the clip worked great but it launched the tab so fast I didnt even see it come out.I just found it on the floor and thereby this post Thanks all

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tab goes in with the 'T' facing up towards the bezel. I took mine off my E1e, and found it on the floor also. Slipped a card in the clip to avoid scratching, then rested the clip on side of a hard surface (workbench), then gently used my hand to tap the light downwards. I like mine without the clip, and I also found that I can leave the plastic 'T' piece in there without it dropping off, when the bezel is screwed down. Just have to be careful when changing batts tho'.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
smokinbasser,

As you rightly summised the plastic T piece is there to ensure that the 'O' ring is not compressed by the bezel into the clip recess. If it is 'squeezed' into this recess without the 'T' piece or indeed the clip being present there is a very real likelyhood of the water resistence being compromised.

Doug

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am leaving the clip in place for a while.I am moving in a couple of weeks and have an idea for some OD green nylon keystock to fit the notch where the clip sits that will prevent the o-ring problem. I will have enough to make a bunch if it works out.