TK 70 battery mods

walterr839

Enlightened
Has anyone on the adapted lion batteries to this light?
what is the acceptable voltage ? Will it die with two cells?

i am curious and figure someone on this list has the knowledge

thanks

walter

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There was great excitement when it looked like the TK75 release would mean the release of a Li-ion pack for the TK70...but nothing ever came of it.

I hope someone does it though, the TK70 is a sweet light.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
2 x 32900 "F" LiFePo4 cells are probably the ideal battery for the TK70.

They make up the same length as 3 x D cells, and the voltage is ideal.
I'm still using the 2 32900's I bought in my TK70.

Tracking them down is the tricky part.

That's good info, Except that I don't WANT the same length as 3 D cells, I'd rather have the length of one 18650.

:D

Hmmm, I think its too fat to do 32900s with parallel cell position with series wiring and still be a manageable handle diameter...?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good info, Except that I don't WANT the same length as 3 D cells, I'd rather have the length of one 18650.

Hmmm, I think its too fat to do 32900s with parallel cell position with series wiring and still be a manageable handle diameter...?

If that's what you're after, it seems the best option would be to sell the TK70 and get a TK75...

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the information .
Where did you buy your batteries :D ?

I got my ones from a CPF user, he had 2 only, I can't remember exactly which user; I think he was based in HK.
But I did an internet search just now and found a seller on ali express who is selling the same type of 32900 cells.
I think the ones I got from the CPF user were used, and therefore weren't a well balanced pair. They work great, but I'd have preferred them to've been new, and well balanced. But buying a new pair like these on ali express would be better.
I don't think I'm allowed to post the link to this ali express page, but if you google: [h=1]free shipping LiFePO4 battery 32900 3.2v 5Ah[/h]You should find them...

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
I had a TK70 up until about a week ago. It was an amazing light, but with 8000mAh Tenergy Centura LSD D cells, I realized it had less watt-hours of energy on hand than a TK75 and if you put a battery extension to make it the same length as a TK70, the TK75 has almost 3 times the amount of watt-hours available. I can sacrifice 10kcd of throw for the much smaller footprint. That and the fact that I have a BTU Shocker, which has a copy of the TK70 head, but uses 3 lithium ion batteries. Tom E modified mine to XM-L2 U2 1C LED's on direct thermal Sinkpads and swapped in a direct drive IOS driver, among other upgrades. Using 3 Samsung INR18650-20R batteries, it was tested at 4760 lumens and 223kcd. It pooped all over my TK70.

TK75 - 48.96 watt hours w/ 4x Panasonic NCR18650B's
TK70 - 38.4 watt hours w/ 4x 8000mAh Tenergy Centura LSD D cells

Last edited:

Dark Slayer

Newly Enlightened
After having and using almost nightly (I have been using a different one each night) a TK70, TK75, RC40
and TM15 and after doing comparisons after first getting them overall I like the beam of the TK70 the
best.

I wish Fenix made these legoable. I would put the TK70 head on the RC40 body and be a happy camper.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I had a TK70 up until about a week ago. It was an amazing light, but with 8000mAh Tenergy Centura LSD D cells, I realized it had less watt-hours of energy on hand than a TK75 and if you put a battery extension to make it the same length as a TK70, the TK75 has almost 3 times the amount of watt-hours available. I can sacrifice 10kcd of throw for the much smaller footprint. That and the fact that I have a BTU Shocker, which has a copy of the TK70 head, but uses 3 lithium ion batteries. Tom E modified mine to XM-L2 U2 1C LED's on direct thermal Sinkpads and swapped in a direct drive IOS driver, among other upgrades. Using 3 Samsung INR18650-20R batteries, it was tested at 4760 lumens and 223kcd. It pooped all over my TK70.

TK75 - 48.96 watt hours w/ 4x Panasonic NCR18650B's
TK70 - 38.4 watt hours w/ 4x 8000mAh Tenergy Centura LSD D cells

Exactly - the Li-ions have a MUCH better energy density.

THAT's why I'd rather use them.

Rexlion

Enlightened
LOL

Sort of....the TK70 throws more, etc.
Quite true! I was being tongue in cheek, of course. And I still am, when I say that obviously Fenix had to sacrifice a little throw when going with those inferior 18650s rather than good ol' D cells. :devil:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Quite true! I was being tongue in cheek, of course. And I still am, when I say that obviously Fenix had to sacrifice a little throw when going with those inferior 18650s rather than good ol' D cells. :devil:

LOL

Man, that tongue is WEDGED in there.