Sodial light on Amazon

nolaradio

Newly Enlightened
You may be right about the placement of this post in the forum. I might have jumped too quick to post, mods can relocate it if they see fit.

I appreciate your comments about the newbies buying up a tn of cheap gear when all that money could have been spent on one piece of quality gear. I've learned that lesson on knives.

I'm not looking for just another light to throw in the junk drawer to just forget about. I actually bought my first real flashlight this past month. A Streamlight Strion rechargeable. The geniuses at my local big box sporting goods store had it priced wrong. Ended up with two for less than the price of one. In the past I haven't spent more than $30 on an incandescent MagLite. The stuff they've come out with in the LED realm in the last few years is amazing.

Anyway, back to the original topic... I guess I was just curious as to why this light is so popular with the Amazon buyers. Looks like mostly good reviews too. Maybe the reviews are slanted since it's so cheap. I suppose. I've been reading some more on these lights and they seem to be great...if you're looking for a disposable light. But if I wanted something like that, I could just grab one off the counter at the local gas station next time I fill up. I think they are actually cheaper than Amazon's price.
Thanks for the comments!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you've got a good bead on things.

I think those type of lights get so many good reviews because folks are amazed that they can get a super bright light for $4, and if that's all you want, super bright, then that's ok. It's only when you get a bit more involved that you realize how valuable a light with 3 or 4 light levels can be (I use the low and moonlight modes all the time), or how nice it would be if it would last longer than a year, or how much more useful the beam would be for outdoors if the tint was a bit warmer, etc.

If you're looking for a nice AA pocket light, check out the Zebralight SC52. Yes, it's quite a bit more expensive, but it is state of the art in current flashlight technology and comes with either a slightly cool tint (SC52) or a slightly warm tint (SC52w). The Zebralight UI (user interface) offers 3 main levels of output (H-M-L), and each of those can be configured to several different levels , letting you customize the output. My favorite feature is the electronic side switch.

In any case, the UI is a very personal thing, like the placement of the switch, and each person likes it a different way, so keep reading and I'm sure you'll find a great light to fit your needs. Of course the Streamlight Strion is a light with a great reputation on CPF, and it sounds like you scored on that one. Happy trails.

Imon

Enlightened
Hey nolaradio,

You'll find more information in this thread.

It's a generic sort of light that falls under a lot of different names but they are all more or less the same. Not a bad light at the price point and I can see why they are so popular with the general public. I even have one myself.

nolaradio

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to both of you for the links. I'm going to try to check them both out today while at work.

Since joining here, I've found myself wanting more lights. Which is weird since I don't find myself looking for a light all that often. Seems as though I'm inside my brightly lit house more than outside in the dark. :)

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!!! Get your wallet ready, it's bound to get thinner as you read posts in this forum :D as for your inquiry, if the light you're referring to is less than $5, then by all means, go for it. But while you're her let me summarize what factors you should consider in choosing your next light. These factors can be arranged to your preference depending on which you consider more important:

1. Build quality - often what most of us here look for.
2. Battery types

A) 18650 - my favorite since it strikes a good balance between power and runtime
B) 16340/RCR123 - my favorite for edc (everyday carry)
C) 14500 - 3.7v version of AA cells.
There are many other types of batteries out there but I find these to be readily available in my area, hence these are what I stick with and buy flashlights which use these cells.

3. UI - several types. There are even programmable ui's. A good example of a programmable ui is that of the Armytek Predator.
4. Controls - often linked with the ui. There are two-button lights, side switches, magnetic rings, rear clickies, etc.
5. Power - defined by lumen output and candela.
6. Beam pattern - flood or throw. Former is more useful in my opinion. Can be used for almost and job. The latter is used for more for searching or when you need to see something very far.
7. Tint - warm/cool. Former renders colors better than the latter. Cool tints tend to be brighter, though.
8. Size - for edc or for the bag? Like I said above, my preferred edc light is a Nitecore SRT 3 Defender which uses one CR123/RCR123/AA/14500.
9. Other features - some lights have battery indicators, displays and even secondary led's such as the Nitecore SRT series.

This list is in no way complete but I hope it helps you out in your purchasing decisions.

Cheers!

Sukram

Newly Enlightened
I have some of flashlights. My favourite one is Armytek Predator because of its UI. It's a good example, you are right. Most of all I like variety of modes :)