Niwalker Vostro BK FA-02 - Impressions

Dubois

Enlightened
s876.jpg

9wlz.jpg

There are already two excellent reviews of the new Niwalker lights, by Selfbuilt and UPz , both of which include beamshots and runtimes, so I'll just post here my thoughts and impressions of the MT-G2 version, the Vostro BK FA-02.

I've been a Niwalker fan since buying the NWK550N3 last year, and have been following the development of this light since the spec of the NWK1000 (an earlier, unreleased version), appeared on Niwalker's website late last year. The new MT-G2 emitter, appealed, and I was curious how they would come up with a reflector to cope with it.

vhau.jpg

Niwalker certainly don't rush things to market, and take a lot of care in the development of their lights. I'd like to have seen this light a few months earlier, but I'm happy that they have produced engineering samples for serious reviewers to give their comments. Even more important, of course, is that they listen to those comments, and make improvements where necessary. The magnetic ring, for example, has been made larger and smoother following Selfbuilt's comments.

Still, I was getting very impatient when, after Selfbuilt's review we had to wait for yet another iteration of the light. Well, better to get things right than to release to market just another MT-G2 light with precious little thought.

When the light finally did arrive, my first thoughts were that (a) it was big; (b) the quality of the build, and anodising were excellent as I'd expect with a Niwalker light; and (c) the emitter was huge.

In its NWK1000 guise, Niwalker proposed a carry handle, but I'm glad that idea was dropped. It does fit in the hand surprisingly well, is nicely balanced, and easy to operate with one hand.

Build quality is excellent, with, in my experience, an unusual matt anodised appearance. Apparently it is similar to the anodising on some Armytek lights, but it is certainly different to anything I own. Threads are excellent - square cut, and anodised. No blemishes anywhere on my sample.

6snx.jpg

The battery carrier has changed between the engineering sample Selfbuilt received, and the final shipping version. I've read one post expressing some concern about whether long cells fit. Well, although tight, all my protected cells - Sanyo 2600mAh; NCR18650A 3100mAh, NCR18650B 3400mAh and Keeppower 3100mAh - fit OK

inbf.jpg

zf1u.jpg

I really like the idea of magnetic rings to control output. I have three other lights with this user interface: Sunwayman Mirage, Supbeam K40, and Jetbeam RRT-01. I do have reservations about the infinitely variable control implementation of the RRT-01 and Mirage. The RRT-01 ring is quite loose, and it has already come on accidentally a few times. Whilst a fan of low lows, especially in a light the size of the RRT-01, it takes about 80 degrees of turn to get "usable" light outdoors. The Mirage is better, but the ring is initially quite stiff, but then seems to lose all resistance, and become very loose (and then back to stiff just as suddenly).

The K40 ring, with output set by detents, and a smooth operation worked best for me. Well, that was until the Vostro arrived. Now the K40 feels slightly gritty by comparison. The Niwalker seems really well engineered, easy to operate one handed. It's certainly the best magnetic ring I own.

With the Vostro ring control, the user interface could scarcely be more simple. From Standby (where Selfbuilt measures 520uA standby current draw), turn the ring anticlockwise one notch for Strobe. Turn clockwise through levels 1 - 6 giving output (from UPz's integrating sphere measurements) of 2lm; 21lm; 193lm; 998lm; 1907lm and 2399 lumen.

I guess not everybody will be happy with the placement of the Strobe. The K40 (and Thrunite TN31) put it after high/turbo. Personally, I'm not that keen on that position - I find I accidentally hit strobe too often on my K40, seeking that extra bit of brightness:). So, for me, having the strobe before the start of the sequence is good, as I never see it.

The mode spacing seems good to me. No sub lumen levels? Well, much as I am a firefly fan, if I need firefly on a trip to the bathroom at night, this isn't the light I'll be using:). There is a noticeable jump between the third and forth levels (193 to about 1000 lumens), which I actually find useful. Level 3 (193 lumens) is perfect for dog walking, with the option to have, shall we say, rather more light to investigate strange noises with a single handed turn of the magnetic ring.

There is no step-down from the top level, but instead a very slow decline that I found imperceptible in the hour I left it running. I certainly prefer this approach to a five minute step down which really is noticeable in the lights I use that have it (Zebralight SC600W, Klarus XT11).

I got this light because I wanted a big flooder, so was pretty surprised at the throw Niwalker have managed to provide with their reflector design for the big MT-G2 emitter. Compared to the K40, it's pretty surprising.

The tint of this light appears to be like the tint reported on all MT-G2 production lights - a beautiful neutral.

vvbc.jpg

What's not to like?? Well, it isn't an edc light! The holster isn't to my taste, though I never use a holster on a belt (and this light is far too big to have hanging on my belt) but I do like to use one for protection against knocks in a bag. The holster provided won't give much protection, as it's open at the top. The cloth pouch also provided is a novelty, but won't really protect the lens too much. I'd much prefer a holster with a flap to cover the head.

It doesn't bother me, but some modders may not like the fact that the head of the light is now glued. Selfbuilt reported that he had problems with the head coming off when he tried to unscrew the battery compartment. Niwalker have taken this on board and glued the head to make it easier to get to the battery carrier. One consequence is that it is now not really possible to lockout the light. Parasitic drain was measured by Selfbuilt as 14 months on 2600mAh cells,

It's certainly the best magnetic ring I've played with, and I'd certainly recommend it if you are looking for a well built beast of a MT-G2 light.

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's a nice very thoughtful review!! :huh:

You're too modest calling it "Impressions".

I'd retitle the thread and submit it for the Reviews section.

Thanks for sharing, great job!! :wave:

Last edited:

houser23

Enlightened
Yes very nice review indeed and well written. I look forward to my Vinh modded Niwalker in the coming weeks.:D

Dubois

Enlightened
Thanks. Yes, I saw the Vinh's thread on his customisation - his modded FA-02 will be very interesting indeed.

T0rch

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, thanks. So now that the head is glued on, the one I have definitely is, what type of glue is it and is it permanent?

Dubois

Enlightened
I really don't know what glue is used, and I haven't tried to open mine. Blue loctite seems to be popular, and some modders use a combination of heat and brute force to open glued heads, but I'm happy with the light as it is.

donn_

Flashaholic
Yes very nice review indeed and well written. I look forward to my Vinh modded Niwalker in the coming weeks.:D

Thanks. Yes, I saw the Vinh's thread on his customisation - his modded FA-02 will be very interesting indeed.

I've had my Vinh-modded FA-02 for almost 3 weeks now, and it's quickly become one of my favorite lights. Big, bright, far-reaching and extremely well made. The tint is gorgeous and the UI almost perfect. It's great as it is, and even better with an SR91 diffuser.

T0rch

Newly Enlightened
I've had my Vinh-modded FA-02 for almost 3 weeks now, and it's quickly become one of my favorite lights. Big, bright, far-reaching and extremely well made. The tint is gorgeous and the UI almost perfect. It's great as it is, and even better with an SR91 diffuser.
I've seen posts regarding the SR91 diffuser. Ordered one last night, and a green one for Halloween. :D