This can't be good in the long term, right?

fliplock

Newly Enlightened
Got my Preon (P1 Ti) today, and since the clicky tailcap is supposed to show up tomorrow, I thought I'd play around with the twisty UI as I've never owned one before.

I discovered that rather than twisting the head back and forth between tight and loose to cycle through the modes, I could loosen the head just enough to torn the light off, then cycle through the modes by compressing the head into the body until the light came on, then letting off and repeating until I got to where I wanted to be, then locked the mode in by tightening the head.

The compressive force is about the same as pushing a thumbtack into a cork board, and I probably didn't turn the head more than 10 or 15 degrees in either direction.

I know that's not how the UI was designed to be operated, but would this method stress threads and seals on the long run enough to wreck the light? In any event, my clicky comes tomorrow, but inquiring minds want to know.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Normal, don't worry about it you have to have the threads in just the right place to make this happen, I have lots of lights with twist to change mode heads that will do just what you describe. There has to be some play in the threads to keep them from binding up, that is until its screwed down tight.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1...

I actually consider it a "feature".... like if you want to get to a buried disco mode quickly. On my regular Quarks, I often use an underhand grip with my thumb on the head and just apply a bit of sideways pressure as a "momentary" max switch.

wjv

Enlightened
I can do that with every one of my twisties.

Sunwayman, Fenix, ITP, L3 Illumination, Foursevens. . . Can do that with all of these.

As reppans mentioned, it's a way to get a momentary function out of a twisty. Don't know if there are any long term bad effects from doing this.

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
+1...

I actually consider it a "feature".... like if you want to get to a buried disco mode quickly. On my regular Quarks, I often use an underhand grip with my thumb on the head and just apply a bit of sideways pressure as a "momentary" max switch.

/\ this!