Little help for an UV spotlight

Tachikoma

Enlightened
I own an old Power on Borad 35w HID (pretty much everyone should know the model in this forum),
I'm wondering if I can swap the front glass with a Wood one to obtain a 365nm emitting beast...
Do you know if the bulb in that particular model emits in the UVA region or is it filtered?
Most importantly, where can I buy a wood glass in Italy (or online that ships to Italy)?
Thanks.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as far as a Woods glass filter supplier in Italy, I have no idea, sorry. I got my filter used from a defunct magnaflux lamp that I bought on Ebay and parted it out, wasn't overwhelmingly expensive, $30 usd I think.... The lens is curved but not magnifying, its also the smooth lens, there is a "fractionated" lens as well, it has ribs running thru it, you don't want that one.
I'd say the lens is about ¼" thick, about 6" dia, (fits inside the maxabeam head perfectly, slightly larger then the Stanly lighthead), its very robust and does a very clean beam. I've hit targets with it at well over 200'. So far I haven't had any thermal issues and believe me when I say it gets hot!
As far as removing the UV retardant glass from the actual bulb.... I don't recommend this unless you are aware of all dangers, including bulb explosion, UV exposure and property/equipment damage..... That being said, I used a common copper pipe cutter.... Placing it carefully on the tube and slowly breaking the tube from the ends first. (wear gloves, eye and face protection) be careful not to break the return wire....this can't be simply soldered back together.

Tachikoma

Enlightened
Sounds difficult and dangerous :( What if I leave it on, will I get less UV or none at all?
Also, do you think it would be easier for me to mod my Maglite 6D into a Roar of Pelican and get
a much smaller (and cheaper) Rosco UV filter? Does the incandescent emit much less UV than the HID?

Last edited:

tomcat017

Enlightened
Sounds difficult and dangerous :( What if I leave it on, will I get less UV or none at all?
Also, do you think it would be easier for me to mod my Maglite 6D into a Roar of Pelican and get
a much smaller (and cheaper) Rosco UV filter? Does the incandescent emit much less UV than the HID?

The incandescent will emit much less UV that the HID, especially an HID with the bulb envelope removed. Also, the incandescent will generate much more heat. I believe a user here on CPF killed a UV filter that he fit into a Mag85.

Tachikoma

Enlightened
The incandescent will emit much less UV that the HID, especially an HID with the bulb envelope removed. Also, the incandescent will generate much more heat. I believe a user here on CPF killed a UV filter that he fit into a Mag85.

Ah yes, the cracked glass for overtightening, gotta be careful about that too if I do it...

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's about a 25% increase in output in the uvc range and a much higher uva & uvb output. You must Havre some kind of filter to block the harmful UV, the Woods glass will do this.
An incan bulb will produce about ¼ the UV of an equal wattage hid, but gets much hotter and its far less efficient.
Finding Woods glass to fit your needs will not be cheap unless you salvage it from something. There are some very large blacklight bulbs available, using a 400w MH lamp with a Woods glass envelope. They can be found in disco supply sites.
Otherwise, like I suggested before, look for a magnaflux™ lens. You can probably contact the company and find a replacement lens.