my KL4 got TWAK'ed!

grnamin

Enlightened
my KL4 got TWAK\'ed!

Just got my KL4 back from Don (McGizmo). Don modded it with a Luxeon III TWAK and a BB600. I borrowed my brother's TW4 body for the 1x123 config and compared the beam to an L4. Hoooweee! Here's a poor beamshot pic:
(TWAK'ed TW4 on the left, L4 on the right)
luxeon%20III%20and%205%20watt%20beamshot.jpg

Impressive beam and throw! Thanks very much, Don! A Luxeon III modded KL5 request may very well be on the horizon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: my KL4 got TWAK\'ed!

a McL4-TT ... read Turbo TWAK ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
bernhard

grnamin

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
a McL4-TT ... read Turbo TWAK ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]
Has a sports car ring to it, doesn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

grnamin,

Glad you got it and like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After completely destroying a KL5 in an attempt to get the rear threaded collar off, I am confident in claiming that these guys (KL5's) will not be a target of many mods, if any. If someone doesn't want to take my word for it, cool. Just remember misery loves company. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Modding a KL6 now is like skiing on the bunny slopes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should point out that if the KL4,5 and 6's came from SureFire with Luxeon III's in them, some of us would immediately be putting 5W's in them for the same reason dogs lick their you know whats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I mean no disrespect to SF when I take apart a perfectly good and sound product. If SF provided the KL's in both III and 5W's then I would be stuck putting in RB and Cyan LED's in as mods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow...sounds like you did a great job, Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I wonder what you could do to my SF M6?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lithead

Newly Enlightened

<--- Being a new guy, what are the advantages of a Luxeon III LED?

Looks good, maybe I'll have a L5 or L6 done.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Assuming you are familiar with 1 and 5-watt luxeons, the Luxeon III is basicly a more robust 1-watter. It's rated for more current (700-1000ma instead of the ~350ma of the 1-watter). There are some minor differences in the assembly of the emitter. The 5-watt still puts out more total light, but the Luxeon-III is closing the gap, plus it can generate a tighter, further-throwing beam due to the smaller die size (it won't generate as much sidespill, though).

grnamin

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
After completely destroying a KL5 in an attempt to get the rear threaded collar off, I am confident in claiming that these guys (KL5's) will not be a target of many mods, if any. If someone doesn't want to take my word for it, cool. Just remember misery loves company. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Don, if I can take off the rear threaded collar without damage, would you mod my KL5 sometime? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Looks like the section that holds the LS itself is secured in place with 4 Phillips screws.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Greg,

With the rear collar removed, the rest is relatively easy sailing. I have done my part and *warned* that the collars will not willingly oblige but who am I to stop others when they may succeed where I failed. (in this case, I have strong doubts however)

grnamin

Enlightened

Don, I go by the reverse engineer's credo: If it can be put together, it can be taken apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
grnamin said:
Don, I go by the reverse engineer's credo: If it can be put together, it can be taken apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But can it be reassembled? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Greg,

Some glues and sealants are essentially "one way". When I unscrewed the chuck on my lathe and turned the vise on my work bench (after cooking the head at 175F) I began to realize that the collar was NOT going to come off. Forget about the fact that by this time the HA was chewed off and the collar flattened so that it would never go back on the battery tube. I digress.... Go for it but have another in line for you to buy, if you like the KL5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

grnamin

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
But can it be reassembled? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Tyler, I didn't think that far ahead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Don, another KL5 in line just in case the original is damaged? Excellent idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Richard,

I'll let someone else field your question. I know Chop and CM and others have been doing the KL1 mods. I haven't messed with them.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Richard,

The short answer to your question is yes, but let me qualify that.

The "traditional" way to mod a KL1 is to simply replace the stock emitter and heatsink with a luxeon on a star. You just trim the star until it fits; however, I haven't seen any TWAK stars floating around, only the emitters. If you were to use just the emitter, you would have to do an emitter transplant on the stock heatsink. It's a little more of a PITA, but do able. I've done quite a few this way and it works.

As far as a lux reading goes, that would depend largely on what you used as an optic. I would guess that a Fraen LP would give the highest lux rating, followed by the NX05.

To get an idea of total light output you could just look at lumileds specs. The lux III is supposed to give you around 65 lumens at 700mA and 80 lumens at 1A. Although you could bias the KL1 circuit for either 700mA or 1A, I would stay with 700mA. 1A of current really taxes the circuit and the batts getting you only about an hour of runtime. Running at 700mA will be a cooler way to run and you'll get twice the runtime on 2X123's while only sacrificing about 15 lumens.

I do have to say that I would take lumileds specs with a grain of salt though. I say this because the stock KL4 is rated at around 60 lumens and the lux III is rated at 65 lumens at spec. The KL4 is actually slightly underdriven. When doing the ceiling bounce test, the 5W still puts out more overall light than the modded KL4 with a lux III.

It's a matter of what you want the light to do. If you want throw, go with a Fraen LP optic. If you want a general purpose light, go with the NX05. In any case, the modded KL1 will have more reach than a stock KL4.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chop, just curious...

How hard does one have to overdrive a LuxIII to match the luminous output of a stock KL4. I know at excessive levels, the heat management would be a problem and it would be wiser to stick with the 5-Watt. I just want to guage the progress of these LED's. Since they first came out with the 1-Watt, there engineering of the techonology has advanced very fast. It first started at 13-18 lumens, Lumileds came out with better binning, and now the LIII can reach 60 lumens and a 5W can reach 200+ lumens.

I think it is interesting how the Luxeon I architecture is catching up to the 5W. It's only a matter of time until the LIII or some other similar LED will replace the 5W for its current lumen range, and for the 5W+ to replace some high ouput incandescents or HID applications.

I've been drooling over the mods by McGizmo, Chop, and other modders. Especially with there creations with the KL4 head. The thing that holds me back is the fear of losing the total light ouput of the 5W. It's either a nice spot (LIII), or a bright flood (5W) with this small of a light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

My concern is that for extended use the heat from overdriving will either shorten bright lifespan or require large heatsinks that will require large flashlights. Intermittant use would be another story.

Brightnorm