KL3 with AA

akula88

Enlightened
I have been lurking here for the past two week, and had been amazed by the amount of info I've learned.

I have a 6P and G6. I'm planning to run AA NiMH rechargeable. Is it possible to use A19 extender together with a KL3 and use 2 AA batteries. I've measured 3x123 vs 2xAA and 2xAA is shorter by 2.5mm, but can be remedied by using a filler. Is the KL3 capable of running under 2.4-3.0 volts? I know KL1 does.

Curious mind looking for info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Johnny.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL3 is buck only, which means it will only work properly when the input voltage is greater than the emitter's Vf (forward voltage required to drive it at spec). On 2xAA, the KL3 will be in direct drive, and it's pretty dim. With alkalines, this light is still somewhat usable, though not anything amazing, but on NiMH, it would probably be so dim as to be near useless.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I use 3 A19 battery extensions on a 9P for a four AA battery flashlight. Use the KL3 with four AA NiMH batteries all the time. Two AA's doesn't cut it though, with the KL3. Two AA's won't hurt it, but is very dim.
oldgrandpajack

akula88

Enlightened
So how is it different with its cousin KL1 for the E-Series? Is KL1 good enough at 1x123?

How about the TW4? Is it an unmodified KL4 on an E1 body using 1x123? So could you run the KL4 with 2xAAs?

Thanks Again.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
akula88 said:
So how is it different with its cousin KL1 for the E-Series? Is KL1 good enough at 1x123?

How about the TW4? Is it an unmodified KL4 on an E1 body using 1x123? So could you run the KL4 with 2xAAs?

Thanks Again.

[/ QUOTE ]

The KL1 has a buck and boost regulator. It works with from 1-3 123A batteries. It also works with 2 AA alkalines, lithiums, NiMH and NiCd batteries.

The KL4 bezel on one 123A battery (TW4) is direct drive. I just tried to run the KL4 on 2 AA NiMH batteries and it didn't work. I have run the KL4 on 3 AA NiMH batteries.
oldgrandpajack

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was playing with the E1e + KL4 outfit recently and find that it is pretty bright. Thing is I can't confirm if the L4 with it's 2 batteries would be brighter than the E1e + KL4's single battery or would it be similar in output? I don't have 2 L4s to do the test.

Andy Ho