Prometheus        

Thread: Surefire E2L-AA new vs old?

Default Surefire E2L-AA new vs old?

Hey guys I haven't picked up a new light in awhile and was checking out the new version of the E2L-AA to replace my older (2011) Just wondering if the difference in brightness and runtime are worth the upgrade from those that have had bot?
    Last edited by BIG45-70; 09-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Elzetta M60 | Fenix E01 E05 | Surefire 6P C2 E2E E2L-AA | Malkoff: M61-219 M61HCRI M61 Malkoff 3D Maglite
    Certified Malkoff Junkie....

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Surefire E2L-AA new vs old?

I definitely wouldn't bother upgrading if like the OP I already had an e2l-aa. Even buying one now, I'd consider saving the $50 by going for an old version on closeout. Looking at those charts though, if you're a fan of L91's, you've gotta love that perfectly flat regulation for NINE HOURS on high.

Length
    6.6 inches (168 mm)
    6.8 inches (173 mm)
    Weight (w/ Batteries)
    4.9 ounces (139 grams)
    4.7 ounces (133 grams)
    Bezel Diameter
    1.00 inch (25.4 mm)
    1.125 inches (28.6 mm)

Huh. It lost weight while simultaneously growing bigger both in length & diameter. Negligible difference on all fronts, but just curious. Maybe those weights are reversed, or not using the same batteries.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

i noticed the weight too. the older KX1B style heads are really thick in the middle part that surrounds the LED and electronics. could be the reason for it being heavy than the new, larger heads.

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Huh. It lost weight while simultaneously growing bigger both in length & diameter. Negligible difference on all fronts, but just curious. Maybe those weights are reversed, or not using the same batteries.
    Hmmmm . . . I missed that when compiling that information. I just went back and double-checked and the weights match what is in the 2010-2012 catalogs (for the E2LAA) and currently on SureFire's website (for the E2LAA-A).

According to my handy-dandy scale, the E2LAA-A weighs in right at 4.7 ounces so that number looks right. The E2LAA (w/KX1B head) weighs only 4.4 ounces so its listed weight looks a little suspect! Both lights were weighed with their Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries installed. I revised the table in my E2LAA-A review and added a note to explain the discrepancy.

What head was on the very first E2LAA's? Is it possible the first ones were heavier and they just didn't update the weights? Were the old lithium batteries heavier? I tried it with a KL1 installed and it was even lighter than the KX1B.
    Last edited by 880arm; 09-30-2013 at 03:50 AM.