New Nitecore 40mm Crenelated Bezel (SRT7, EA4, etc.)

y260

Enlightened
So I'm browsing the Nitecore site when I find this:

a53j.png

First of all, wow. That's an aggressive strike bezel. I mean I've seen some larger custom bezels but for a mainstream manufacturer, that's big. Secondly, I am pumped that this actually exists! I've wanted to make the SRT7 crenelated and with this it is apparently possible. I have no idea how to put this on and I'm guessing the beam profile goes out the window, but damn. Just look at that thing.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that too. A little too extreme crenellations for me. It could be used as an ice cream scooper adding another dimension of usefulness to the SRT 7.
The factory bezel is easy to remove. Just push the bezel into your palm and twist. There is no glue securing the bezel. It is a threaded fit, not a press fit.
4e4eqeza.jpg

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam profile will take a hit, looks like it will no longer fit in holster with that, and looks more geared to mall ninjas than to actual function. I really like the military grey color, and that massive bezel ruins the look for me. I'll pass. I prefer a more subdued look in general, though - to each his own.

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
Very like the Solarforce bezels that I've got, I'm not sure if they still sell them, I bought two and put them on the A001 heads which have also disappeared from the Solarforce website but there are some left at various dealers.

product_377_zps1a8732e9.jpg
bezel001_zps37131d17.jpg

You get a triangular beam shape but it's not too bad, if you want the aggressive look you just put up with it and use a polished reflector instead of orange peel.:D

y260

Enlightened
I saw that too. A little too extreme crenellations for me. It could be used as an ice cream scooper adding another dimension of usefulness to the SRT 7.
The factory bezel is easy to remove. Just push the bezel into your palm and twist. There is no glue securing the bezel. It is a threaded fit, not a press fit.

I've had an SRT7 all this time and didn't know the bezel unscrews. I assumed the bezel was just stamped on.

radioactive_man

Enlightened
Isn't the purpose of a strike bezel to take an item that isn't considered a weapon in any jurisdiction (that I know of) and give it a little extra "bite" in a self defense situation without crossing the line into weapon territory? This klingon war bezel seems to take the flashlight over the line and make it an purpose-built impact weapon. If I walked around with this in my hand in the US, I'd expect to be arrested for brandishing a weapon at least if I did so in NYC or some other place, where everything seems to be forbidden. I like being able to carry a flashlight in my hand when I go for a walk but I don't like war bezels in particular and stainless steel bezels in general because I feel they draw attention (I try to avoid carrying pointy and shiny things around openly since people may get the wrong idea).

Also I live in a country where carrying something (anything) for the purpose of self-defense gets you in trouble with the law so if I had a Nitecore light, this skull cracker wouldn't be attached to it.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's no dumber an idea than those urban culture style hub cap spikes that stick out 6"+ for no good reason.

Don't hate.

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened
I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I wanted to say thanks to Lou for posting the "how to" on getting the factory bezel off. I was twisting and twisting, but the "smash into palm" worked great.

I agree, the bezel is a little over the top, but we don't always make decisions based on practicality.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Love my SRT7!

Todd

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,noob here and bumping this because I am having difficulty getting the bezel out of my brand new SRT7.(Literally arrived yesterday).Bought a crenelated bezel for it and want to fit,but the standard one will NOT come out.Any ideas? I don't want to damage it.

d88

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,noob here and bumping this because I am having difficulty getting the bezel out of my brand new SRT7.(Literally arrived yesterday).Bought a crenelated bezel for it and want to fit,but the standard one will NOT come out.Any ideas? I don't want to damage it.

I've fitted the crenelated bezel for my SRT7. The method I used to get the smooth bezel off was too firmly place the SRT7 bezel in to the palm of my hand (effectively forming a seal), then apply a large amount of force and then twist. It took a few efforts but It did finally came loose. (as described in the first post)

The one thing I would say is that it does affect the beam pattern when fitted, especially with the colour leds.

I keep mine in my car, so if I get stopped by the police and they find it, my excuse is that I'll use it to break the car window if I needed to get out in an accident. I haven't a clue though if it's effective for that ( be interesting to find out though) or indeed legal where I live, so I guess it's down to interpretation and how zealous the LEO are.

Last edited:

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.I tried the palm method and it didn't work,even used a bit of fine sandpaper in my hand to increase the grip.I managed to get it off this morning.I got a very small flat screwdriver,put the light on the floor,my foot on the light,and then placed the driver on the bezel and lightly tapped with a small hammer.It actually took quite a bit of effort to remove,and can say that there was no way I was going to get it out otherwise.

It does change the beam pattern but I don't mind.I am using this as a general purpose light around the house,my seven and eight year old girls love it,(pretty colours),and I can see what is in the front paddock reasonably well enough out to about 150 metres,which is handy to spot for wild dogs.I have a M2X UT Javelot with an extension tube coming next week that will be the main torch for spotting a little further away.(Read the comprehensive review on that here and decided to get it.)

d88

Newly Enlightened
At least you have it off now, I can remember it wasn't an easy job to do at the time however you shouldn't now have any issues changing it from smooth to crenelated bezel if the need arises.

My own personal view on this light is that it's still pretty good. Good lumens, decent enough range for a light this size and of course the rotary ring selector is a useful feature. I do find the colour leds a little bit of a gimmick though, not enough power/range and it's beam pattern is awful, with or without the crenelated bezel. That's one of the reasons it's in my car. If I breakdown/ I can either use the colour leds as a warning indicator to other motorists or use the main white to illuminate a wheel well/engine bay etc.

The one accessory you might find useful is the white diffuser cone, it's cheap and it will give you the ability to light up a room in case of power outs etc (and the kids will love it !)

Latest posts