14mm Copper Stars Available Anywhere?

ExtremeSeries

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am planning on a Maglite 2D mod. So far I have some heatsinks from H22A couple years back. I have been reading on the benefits of copper vs aluminium stars but I cannot find a 14mm copper star. Anyone knows where to get them?

Thanks in advance.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
A 16mm sinkpad or noctigon mcpcb can be filed down easily. I used a noctigon for a mod mag with a H22A heatsink as shown below (click to enlarge).

ExtremeSeries

Newly Enlightened
A 16mm sinkpad or noctigon mcpcb can be filed down easily. I used a noctigon for a mod mag with a H22A heatsink as shown below (click to enlarge).

I wish I could do what you did, but my DIY skills are very poor. I destroyed my first Maglite reflector on my first build and now it is sitting there for years. Would hope to try to do it with a more risk free approach now.

Btw, can I ask if copper MCPCBs are really very beneficial if I am running a single XM-L2 on about 3A?

Thank you.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could do what you did, but my DIY skills are very poor. I destroyed my first Maglite reflector on my first build and now it is sitting there for years. Would hope to try to do it with a more risk free approach now.

Btw, can I ask if copper MCPCBs are really very beneficial if I am running a single XM-L2 on about 3A?

Thank you.

Just buy a file & slowly file the edge till it fits.
Get a multimeter to check for shorting just to be sure.
And buy a few pieces of the copper MCPCB so if u fail the first time, u have spares to try again.

If running at 3A, a regular aluminum MCPCB will do the job but of course a copper one will perform much better..

- JonK

Epsilon

Enlightened
Check out my maglite builds in my signature, those are made with h22a heatsinks or similar. If you use a rebel reflector, the PCB doesn't need to be trimmed down.

ExtremeSeries

Newly Enlightened
Check out my maglite builds in my signature, those are made with h22a heatsinks or similar. If you use a rebel reflector, the PCB doesn't need to be trimmed down.

I have the classic maglite. Any idea where I can get some cheap replacements? Thanks in advance.

Epsilon

Enlightened
I which I knew, lots of people are looking for reflector replacements :). Normal reflectors are no problem, the rebels however are.

ExtremeSeries

Newly Enlightened
I which I knew, lots of people are looking for reflector replacements :). Normal reflectors are no problem, the rebels however are.

Can I assume the only difference rebel reflectors have compared to the classic maglites' is just having a 16mm opening?

Epsilon

Enlightened
Rebel reflectors are parabolic and a lot deeper than standard maglite reflectors (which I think are eliptic for hotwire).

The opening is around 12mm or so, the same as standard maglite reflectors.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
The opening is around 12mm or so, the same as standard maglite reflectors.

The Mag incan reflector has a hole opening of 15.4mm, the LED reflector (Rebel/XP-E models) has a opening of 13.1mm.

The focal point of the LED reflector is lower compared to the incan reflector. This means more than likely a mcpcb doesnt need to be trimmed down to fit through the opening of the reflector. The deeper LED reflector wont work properly (in stock form) with your older H22A heatsinks that are meant for a incan mag reflector. The heatsink LED pedestal on the older H22A heatsinks are not recessed deep enough into the body tube.

ExtremeSeries

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for all your replies! I have two more beginner questions but I am not sure if I should post within this thread.

1. Will cheap glass lens at DX/KD be any better (as in allowing more light to pass through) than a new (unscratched) stock lens?

2. Has anyone's Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive turned yellowish/brownish? Mine did and I am not sure if it is still usable. If I need to get another set, is the Fujik glue at DX comparable in terms of performance?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for all your replies! I have two more beginner questions but I am not sure if I should post within this thread.

1. Will cheap glass lens at DX/KD be any better (as in allowing more light to pass through) than a new (unscratched) stock lens?

2. Has anyone's Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive turned yellowish/brownish? Mine did and I am not sure if it is still usable. If I need to get another set, is the Fujik glue at DX comparable in terms of performance?

1) There will be a difference, but not too much that you can see a difference. Unless you use a light meter yo take measurements.

2) Mine hasn't turned yet, so I'm not too sure. But DX or FastTech Fujik glue works well (at least for me)... And its cheap too. Haha.

- JonK

Epsilon

Enlightened
The Mag incan reflector has a hole opening of 15.4mm, the LED reflector (Rebel/XP-E models) has a opening of 13.1mm.

The focal point of the LED reflector is lower compared to the incan reflector. This means more than likely a mcpcb doesnt need to be trimmed down to fit through the opening of the reflector. The deeper LED reflector wont work properly (in stock form) with your older H22A heatsinks that are meant for a incan mag reflector. The heatsink LED pedestal on the older H22A heatsinks are not recessed deep enough into the body tube.
This guy is correct, the older heatsinks do not work with the rebel reflector unless you modify it (like I did). It has to be recessed deeper in the maglite (that why I removed the rim all together).
Forgot about that one :).

And thanks for the exact measurements of the reflector openings.