New 2900 lumens Fenix TK75, and other questions

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi,

1 Is there a difference between the old 2600 Fenix TK75, with 92000 candela, and the new 2900 lumen TK75, with almost over 120000 candela?

I have my old TK75 with 2600 lumen, but wil buy the new one with 2900 lumens.

Is here who has the new TK75? And is there a difference in throw and output in really?

2 Why is it, that some flashlights, who have the same throw, for example my fenix TK75 with 600 meters plus throw, and my LiteXpress Handheld spotlight LXSP 102 who also have a tested throw of 600 meters plus distance, will have different intensity of the beam when shine on my hands, the TK75 is much more intense, than my spotlight, when shined on my hands at half a meter distance.

The same with my Fenix TK60, who has a throw of 55000 candela, VS my TK75 who has 92000 candela, but the TK60 55000 candela, does have almost the same intensity in the hotspot when shined against a wall, as the TK75 92000 intensity, but when i shine at threes at 200 meters distance, then the TK75 is the winner. Why is this? I not understand it.

But when shine them both at a wall, at 4 meters distance, then the spotlight has a more intense hotspot.

Why is it, that 2 exactly intense lights, look different in brightness at 50 centimeters from my hand?

3 Am i the only one who has an irregular ugly formed hotspot, from my newly received Fenix RC40?

The hotspot looks full flower artrifacts, uneven shape, while the Fenix TK75 have a perfect round even hotspot.

And yes, all the 4 leds are perfectly centered. And its crazy bright, and it outthrows my TK75 by a lot, 700 meter reach easily.

But why is it, that the Fenix RC40 has an uneven beam? Is that normal, or not?

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Please help me with my questions,

Sorry for saying, but otherwise the thread is sinkin away out of sight.

Thank you.

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
I have the new TK75, so can't really help with the question. But from what I have read, if you have the old one, it's not worth buying the new one for the difference in light output, but if you don't have one, then buy the new one.
Can't help with the RC40. Maybe someone will be along shortly.

wjv

Enlightened
11% more lumens will be barely noticeable.

Chasing lumens to get a couple percent more output is a fools errand.

As for why different lights provide different results; There is more to illumination than lumens. . .

There are so many factors that affect the perceived brightness.
- tint
- beam shape
- Reflector shape
- Smooth vs orange peel vs partial orange peel reflectors
- size of hot spot
- amount of spill
- quality of the beam
- lumens

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to what wjv already covered, the human eye is NOT a good lux meter. As something gets really bright, your vision "steps down", your pupils contract, you squint, etc. Makes even substantial differences almost impossible to see, even if everything else is equal. Differences in the beam MIGHT be easier to see if you switch to low mode - your eyes won't be totally overwhelmed, and the difference in focus (candela) might be clearer. But indoor and white wall testing will always be very limited - if you want to actually compare the REAL performance of lights, you have to go outside. And if you want to compare throwers, you need to do it at long range. This is, after all, what they are designed to do. They aren't designed to make a hotspot on your hand look bright, they are designed to light up stuff that is far away.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
In addition to the excellent points above...I'll add that the beams coming out of throwers do not fully form until quite a distance from the lens....sometimes 5-20 meters away.

That can mean for example that if I took a 1 m lux reading and a 20 m lux reading, and then calculated the cd...I would TYPICALLY get a higher cd (more accurate in this case as well) at the 20 m distance than at the 1 m distance.

This is especially true for multi-emitter set-ups, as the beams are a confluence of each LEDs contribution and final collimation.

If you look at a beam on a wall a few feet away....you will see what it looks like before its done forming. The beams that need the most range to form, will look as though they have artifacts when observed short of that range.

Throwers are not meant to be pretty on walls at close range, they are meant to light up distant targets. By the time the beam is reaching targets at a reasonable distance for that light...it will typically not have artifacts, albeit some may have evidence of the compromises made to achieve the combination of flood/throw/spill, or in the case of HID for example, the shadow of the wire, etc, may be visible even 100s of meters away....if there's enough contrast.

As for 2,600 L vs 2,900 L....that's pretty damn close....I would not personally do an OEM version upgrade at that difference.

I might send it to Vinh and get MORE of a difference....but that's just me.

For perspective, if you are looking at the cd, the increase from 92,000 to 120,000 cd does SOUND like a huge jump...and, its not bad, but, here's how your targets would 'see it".

Lets say you were shinging both of these lights on something 200 meters away...

The 92k cd TK75 will put 2.3 lux on that target.

The 120k cd TK75 will put 3.0 lux on that target.

3.0 Lux IS better than 2.3 Lux, but, only by a little bit.

IE: If I were SHOPPING, and could get one or the other, sure, I'd get the 120k version for a little more, no problem...but if I had to pay DOUBLE to get the 2,900 L one, to get a 2900 L one....I'd get the 2,600 L one (Which you did, so far).

:D

Plan C is, if you NEED more throw, is to get another thrower to supplement your flooder, instead of essentially having two of the same light....and that way, you could just get MORE throw for your money than a newer TK75 would get you.

For example, one of Vinh's K40vn or TN31vn or Vostro VN versions, etc...will give you closer to 400-500k cd than the 120k cd of the new TK75....while still giving a respectable lumen output.

(That gets you closer to 12-13 lux instead of 2-3 lux with the TK75's on that 200 meter target)

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Its fantastic, to have the smallest Fenix, and the largest most powerfull now.

The Fenix EO1, and the Big Badass Fenix RC40!

The fenix EO1 with its 16 lumens, and only 20 meter throw, ha ha!, and the Fantastic Fenix RC40, with its monsterthrow of far over 700 meters (yes, its really fantastic, and unbelieveable) It makes car high beams to shame! Its impossible to use it ,almost, in the area of my house, because you easily disturb all other people, with especielly high and turbo. It lit up my surroundings ,street, up like daylight. Fantastic.

And yes, it outthrows my Fenix TK75 easily! Its much brighter. Its a monsterthrower!

Are here others, who are the lucky ones to have the fantastic Fenix RC40?

I think it outthrow the olight SR91, and the Thrunite TN31.

Last edited:

vkimo

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick question on my end, this does not come with batteries? So I'd probably need to drop another 60 to power it?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its fantastic, to have the smallest Fenix, and the largest most powerfull now.

The Fenix EO1, and the Big Badass Fenix RC40!

Well, technically, the E05 is smaller even though it has a higher lumen output than the E01.

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick question on my end, this does not come with batteries? So I'd probably need to drop another 60 to power it?

It does not come with batteries. This light might be a good candidate for Redilast's new protected NCR18650PD cells.