Nitecore EC1 with red indicator becon saves itself

IdRatherBeFishing

Newly Enlightened
I lost my EC1 last week in a (harvested) corn field. Once I knew I lost it I paced the part of the field I was in a couple of times with no luck. So my last resort was to hit the field at night and hope I could spot the indicator light. After a half an hour retracing my steps where I was outside of the machines I was about to call of the search when I looked down and there it was - flashing at my feet. I covered about 3-4 acres of ground on foot by this point.

The light landed sideways so the indicator was pointing off to the side, and it was halfway pointed down. From the back of it you would never see it. From the front, which is where I happened to be positioned, it wasn't very "bright" against the other lights in the area (plus road traffic), but it caught my attention.

Now... when I get my replacement PD35 I'll put the EC1 on the shelf. That light is too small, too light, and the clip is too weak for EDC. That is what I like so much about the PD35 = it is a robust EDC light that is still small enough to easily carry. Perfect combo in my opinion. Any CR123A/RCR123/16340 size light, or smaller, I'd say is going to be in the same category for me. I never noticed the EC1 fell off my pocket until several hours later.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
nice save.......
I like those lights(I had the EA1 which is about the same size)
but it was hard to hold and I didn't like the clip design, but it is bright.

IdRatherBeFishing

Newly Enlightened
Light capacity-wise, the EC1 is more than capable for my lighting situations. I have used it in a tail-stand mode, clipped to things, etc. to get a better flood affect for the area I am working in. However, I have to run it on high for what I am doing = eats up the battery quicker. From what I have heard they are also known more for being decent "throwers" vs. "flood".

If I was to do it over again I'd go with the EC2 = same performance (a bit wider range of lumens) in a bigger package. Though, it looks like the clip is the same.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The locator beacon on the EC1 is certainly useful for such a small light. Glad you were reunited with your EC1, IdRatherBeFishing.

I've found the constant-on option for the red LED very useful in dark environments when your eyes have light acclimatized.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you found it I really like lights that have a indicator especially the ones that double has a low voltage warning. I would like to see a series of lights made with the indicator light always on when the light is turned off and always blink when the battery is at around 25% capacity. I know it would drain the battery a little more but the indicator light could even be half as bright as the red blinking Nitecore Explorer's and be plenty bright.