help choosing what type of battery for my fenix ld22?

jimmer2109

Newly Enlightened
As you probably know I am a noob at this site and with flashlights in general. From the research ive done on these forums I found that there are so many different voltage and battery types. I purchased the fenix LD22 and it runs on AA's. My question is should i buy just generic AA's, or a certain brand, or certain voltage? Is there actually a noticeable difference on this flashlight using different batteries? any info will be helpful.

erknjerk

Newly Enlightened
I run Eneloops and I've not noticed anything different with other batteries.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I run either Sanyo Eneloops or Duracell rechargeables in all my AA and AAA lights. When I'm travelling, I sometimes take Energizer lithiums, because they're lightweight and I can toss them afterwards. Although alkalines are cheaper, they tend to leak so I don't like using them in my good lights. Also, lithiums will work in your LD 22 with the exception of low mode.:welcome:

phosphor

Enlightened
I run either Sanyo Eneloops or Duracell rechargeables in all my AA and AAA lights. When I'm travelling, I sometimes take Energizer lithiums, because they're lightweight and I can toss them afterwards. Although alkalines are cheaper, they tend to leak so I don't like using them in my good lights. Also, lithiums will work in your LD 22 with the exception of low mode.:welcome:
....you also sacrifice run-time as well with primary lithiums. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will begin another, but I think it would be helpful to have a running list of 2xAA lights that DON'T lose low using primary lithiums.

jimmer2109

Newly Enlightened
So I guess the jury is back and eneloops are the way to go haha. I can find a 4pk with a charger for relatively cheap. I definitely don't want them leaking especially if it may sit in my glove box for some time. It's sorta funny that I have never even heard of eneloops and seems a lot of people use them on this site haha. Learn something new everyday haha

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
go with the eneloops and pick up a pack of Energizer L91 "Ultimate Lithium" cells for backup and emergencies, they have an advertised 15 year shelf life.

weez82

Enlightened
go with the eneloops and pick up a pack of Energizer L91 "Ultimate Lithium" cells for backup and emergencies, they have an advertised 15 year shelf life.

The LD22 will lose low/med mode with lithium primaries (Energizer L91). Just stick to the eneloops and all will be good :)

wjv

Enlightened
Try Eneloops or Eneloops , or maybe some Eneloops. . .

I got a nice package deal from Costco that has something like 8 AAs, 4 AAAs and a charger for under $30. .

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2 cents Jimmer...

If you are willing to spend another 40-50 dollars you should get a La Crosse BC-700 charger (just look it up on Amazon) and at least 4 or more eneloops (if you get 8 you can rotate charging 2 sets in the 4 slot charger). I have two BC-700 chargers now. I started with one and now have two right next to each other. For AA rechargeables it is one of the best and individually regulates each battery charge and displays information for it.

That charger has dropped DRASTICALLY in price over the last few years, but that is great because it is a fantastic charger. It may seem like a lot to plop down (if you are used to crappy alkalines) but it is VERY worth it if you are going to use a "good" quality light like a Fenix. I had an LD20 q5 forever so I know you'll love the newer LD22. The other good thing about having rechargeables in your light is you can run it constantly on high and not worry much about cost or battery voltage going down.

edit: oh btw, if you get that charger, you have to press the "current" button right away after you put a battery or batteries in to change the charging current to a higher current level (i.e. 200mA, 500mA, or 700mA). It does run hotter though if you charge it at faster charging powers--- especially at 700mA

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll agree with Martinaee - a good charger will make your Eneloops last longer and recharge completely full. Search the forums for 'battery charger', there are a lot of good threads on the various chargers and their strengths and weaknesses. As for myself, if it is a light I use a lot so I am constantly changing batteries, its Low Self Discharge (LSD) rechargeables. If I don't use it a lot and/or it may stay out in the cold during winter I will use primary lithiums. There are some good threads on those too. But most of all, sit back and enjoy your lights! [And start planning for your next purchase. After all, you are a flashaholic, right?]

jimmer2109

Newly Enlightened
thanks martinaee and timothybil for your input. As a new flashlight enthusiast I would rather not plop down another 50 bucks for the charger (considering I just paid $50 for my fenix ld 22 haha). I do feel more comfortable paying the 20ish or whatever on 4 eneloops and charger. Probably one day in the near future I will buy the La Crosse. It seems like an awesome charger.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks martinaee and timothybil for your input. As a new flashlight enthusiast I would rather not plop down another 50 bucks for the charger (considering I just paid $50 for my fenix ld 22 haha). I do feel more comfortable paying the 20ish or whatever on 4 eneloops and charger. Probably one day in the near future I will buy the La Crosse. It seems like an awesome charger.

If you had told me a few years ago I would be willing to spend easily 70-80 dollars on a flashlight and have many of them I'd think you were crazy. Now I have a lot of lights and eventually want to get something in the 4 18650 category which can cost some serious unbaked-bread depending on what you get.

Yeah, you definitely don't HAVE to get a nice charger to start off with, but if you get more into lights it's good to have nice chargers as they perform and charge more accurately, allow you to actually see info on the batteries, and keep the batteries in better shape.

-----------

I tried out an ld22 briefly at BrightGuy and was expecting somewhat of a warmer and better beam than what I saw so I didn't get one, but that's just coming from me now knowing what I'm looking for and want. I kind of wish Fenix would go back to partial orange peel reflectors in some of their lights like they had in the original LD20. Either that or definitely start using the "lossless" op reflector style they have in the TK22 more. The fenix LD*20* "line" of flashlights has been the gold standard for me though since that original light came out. I'll probably have to get one again when the next emitter update to it comes out. I kind of miss having the single button soft tap switch though but that's probably just nostalgia. Having momentary is awesome.

jimmer2109

Newly Enlightened
Haha well I'm still a beginner and probably will be in your shoes in the near future. And since this is me beginning, I really do not know what I am looking for yet haha. But from what I've heard its a well made light that will be effective in my needs. Hopefully soon I'll understand more about lights and know what im looking for to better use my money :p. But thanks for the advice, anything info I get now is all helpful

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
+1 on the eneloops and a smart charger. You could also go with some 'white top' duraloops which would be equally good, whichever you can find for cheaper!

FWIW- I have a Technoline BL-700 (clone of the La Crosse BC-700 IIRC). At the time I bought it, I'd only just started my light obsession, and 'only' had an Olight i3, a Fenix TK20 and a LD20. I spent a few months partially regretting talking myself into buying it as I hardly got any use out of it.

Now I've got a dog I walk at night, and occasionally work night shifts, I'm glad I spent the money when I did and it's actually saved me spending £££ on batteries and from having to buy a 'nice' charger down the line. I've realised it's also not all about torches/flashlights- I bought a 4*AA digital radio recently which gets about 8-10hrs on each charge so I'm using the charger for that and for the eneloops in the TV remotes. I've not seen any inexpensive alternatives that have the -dV termination and refresh cycle capibility, that's not to say they don't exist though!