Newbie waiting eagerly for his first real flashlight!

Tokimer

Newly Enlightened
Hi all
I've already introduced myself in the New Member Introduction subforum, but wanted to make a separate thread mentioning my new purchases, and also to give a shoutout to md-lightsource.com.
Mark over at md-lightsource.com has given me great service so far, and I hope to be a truly happy flashlight camper when my order arrives (let the customs gods be with me and don't hold my order forever when it arrives in Norway :p)

My order consists of:
Crelant 7G5CS U3
Collimator Head
Xtar WP2s charger
Xtar 18650 (3100mah) x2

I should probably have bought more of the batteries, but my budget is already streched as it is :p I'll have to order some more later on, either from MD or some other cheap webshop, seeing as they cost quite a lot here in Norway.

The only lights I have from before are one Led Lenser T7, and a headlight from DX with aprox the same lumen as the LL.

Last edited:

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:Hope you get your flashlight soon. *chuckles* Be prepared to set aside some money every month into your flashlight funds. You won't be stopping at just one light. :D

Tokimer

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:Hope you get your flashlight soon. *chuckles* Be prepared to set aside some money every month into your flashlight funds. You won't be stopping at just one light. :D

Haha, I've heard about this flashlight bug that can get to you :p I'm a person with a lot of different interests though, so I don't think I will be joining the "worst" of the ones on this forum :D
As for the wait time, it didn't get sent before monday so I haven't waited long yet, it's just that I've heard horror stories of things getting held up at customs for weeks, and I can't have that happen :p

Thanks!
I just figured General was the right place seeing as this wasn't supposed to be a thread about a LED light in particular, but about waiting for my first light AND accessories, and also mentioning the good service I got from MD Lightsource. And then updating when I get the stuff :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Tokimer, and welcome to CPF!
As the nights get longer and longer, it's nice to have a new flashlight heading your way. Congratulations. I'm not sure of your level of experience with lithium-ion technology, but it's worth mentioning that those new 18650 cells pack a lot of power into a small package, and as such, they need special care in handling, charging, and general usage. While "extreme venting events" are rare, I just want to make sure you have the information you need to use them safely.

Here is a great place to start:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

There is also a ton of information over on the "Flashlight Electronics, Batteries Included" section of CPF.

Here are a few tips:
1. Don't drop them (it can damage the fragile internal structure)
2. Don't charge the cells unattended (especially with new cells or a new charger). Check occasionally during charge to make sure they aren't getting hot.
3. Place your charger on a non-combustible surface. I use a 12"x12" piece of concrete. Again, it's pretty rare, but an ounce of prevention...........
4. If you haven't already, invest in an inexpensive DMM (digital multi-meter). They can be had for under $10, and are very useful for checking your cells voltage.
5. If you do damage a cell, or it get's hot, put it outside away from everything, immediately. If there is a question about it's suitability for continued use, err on the side of caution and don't use it.
6. Lithium-ion cells prefer to be topped off rather than run dry. It's ok to top off the cell on the charger after only a little use (no memory).
7. Don't overcharge or overdischarge the cell. Either one will diminish the life of the cell.

It sounds like you got some good cells and good charger, just make sure you keep an eye on things as you're getting used to them. Have fun!

Tokimer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome and the tips about batteries Derek! :)

I'm new to 18650/lithium batteries as in I haven't owned any before. But I know some about the dangers after reading stuff like general warnings, and the two well known threads "TK Monster Explosion", and the guy that ended up getting sick after his flashlight blew up and sprayed his heel with glass "shrapnel" and stuff from the battery.
It's always good to be reminded though, so thanks :)

The batteries I ordered are atleast protected, so that helps some. I also have a multi-meter.

And yeah, I waited for the darker days to come before ordering a good flashlight :D

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I order lots of light. Usually takes exactly 14 days from usa or asia for stuff to hit my mailbox up in the northern part of norway. And usually they slip unnoticed trough the customs :)

Tokimer

Newly Enlightened
Thats good to hear :) But it also depends on what service you use for the shipping I guess.

So far my order hasn't left Houston according to USPS, but it's probably not updated every minute real time either I guess :p

Tokimer

Newly Enlightened
I got my package yesterday! :party:
Can't complain about that delivery time.

Have been playing with it a bit now, and I'm quite impressed about the throw on the Crelant! Even had a neighbour looking over at my balcony where I was shining my new beacon, haha :devil:
I'm not really an outdoors person, but now I'm looking forward to going on a camping trip or something of the like, just so I can use my new "toy" :p Too much light pollution around where I live.

Again, thanks goes out to Mark at md-lightsource.com for the fast delivery and good service!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
:devil:
I'm not really an outdoors person, but now I'm looking forward to going on a camping trip or something of the like, just so I can use my new "toy" :p Too much light pollution around where I live.

Congratulations on your new flashlight. *chuckles* I suppose many of us do get out and take walks in the night after getting new flashlights. Stay safe and enjoy your new purchase.

And do search CPF for the many threads regarding flashlight etiquette. With great throw comes great responsibility. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts