2xAA lights, primary lithium batteries, and low modes

phosphor

Enlightened
I have a small collection of 2xAA lights....and each one will lose their low/moonlight modes on fresh lithium primary batteries. Having done a bit of research here on the forums, I have come across more than a few posts by folks who discover this fact, only after they have purchased a new 2xAA light. I know the simple solution is to "fuel" these lights with eneloop, however for a 2xAA that, for instance, just sits in a car's glovebox for emergency situations, and doesn't get used very often, lithium primaries are the way to go. I think it might be useful, at least for me, perhaps others, to have a list of 2xAA lights that preserve low while using primary lithiums.

I can confirm that each of the following 2xAA lights DO NOT work on their respective low modes using fresh primary lithium batteries......Olight T25, Fenix L2D/LD20/LD22, and the Klarus ST20.

smw1138

Newly Enlightened
My quark pro 2AA moonlight work works fine on Energizer lithium. Long runtimes too, according to the specs and Mr Selfbuilt.

weez82

Enlightened
Yep, Fenix 2xaa lights lose low modes with Lithium primaries. One of the reasons why I stopped recommending Fenix's 2xaa lights. They refuse to update the driver so it can handle Lithium primaries.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, Quarks have very good current regulation (with both buck and boost drivers, which is quite rare) - uses any cell(s) between 0.9-4.2v (low voltage head). All lower modes are retained at spec, and only Max bumps ups with higher voltage cell(s).

Etsu

Enlightened
Yup, Quarks have very good current regulation (with both buck and boost drivers, which is quite rare) - uses any cell(s) between 0.9-4.2v (low voltage head). All lower modes are retained at spec, and only Max bumps ups with higher voltage cell(s).

You sure about that? 4sevens website says that the QPL and QP2A both have the same max output, despite different voltages.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Does anyone know how the EagleTac D25A2 Clicky reacts to 2xL91? I'm trying to decide between an EagleTac D25A2 clicky and a Foursevens Quark Pro QP2A and this could make that decision easier as I would not want to loose moonlight modes.

weez82

Enlightened
Does anyone know how the EagleTac D25A2 Clicky reacts to 2xL91? I'm trying to decide between an EagleTac D25A2 clicky and a Foursevens Quark Pro QP2A and this could make that decision easier as I would not want to loose moonlight modes.

Specs on the EagleTac read a volt range of 1.8-3. 2x L91 = 3.4v. selfbuilt did a review on it you should look it up and read through it :)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the Thrunite Nuetron would lose low mode, I don't own the 2aa but I have used a lithium rechargeable fresh 4.2 volts and my Nuetron 1am still had a moonlight mode.

phosphor

Enlightened
I don't think the Thrunite Nuetron would lose low mode, I don't own the 2aa but I have used a lithium rechargeable fresh 4.2 volts and my Nuetron 1am still had a moonlight mode.
...I'm not certain of the Nuetron, but the Thrunite Archer 2xAA moonlight and low mode work on lithium primaries. I owned one briefly, but sold it because I was not fond of the UI. While it has memory, if you want to move from a higher mode back to a lower one, you have to cycle through stobe each time. That's not something I liked. In the Archer's defense however, I will say it was well-built and nicely finished.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small collection of 2xAA lights....and each one will lose their low/moonlight modes on fresh lithium primary batteries. Having done a bit of research here on the forums, I have come across more than a few posts by folks who discover this fact, only after they have purchased a new 2xAA light. I know the simple solution is to "fuel" these lights with eneloop, however for a 2xAA that, for instance, just sits in a car's glovebox for emergency situations, and doesn't get used very often, lithium primaries are the way to go. I think it might be useful, at least for me, perhaps others, to have a list of 2xAA lights that preserve low while using primary lithiums.

I can confirm that each of the following 2xAA lights DO NOT work on their respective low modes using fresh primary lithium batteries......Olight T25, Fenix L2D/LD20/LD22, and the Klarus ST20.

Post #5.......iTP SA2..........this is the one that I keep with Energizer lithiums in it. I'm not sure this light is made anymore.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ness-options&p=4067249&highlight=#post4067249

I know that 2xAA lights have been real popular in the past because of the mini mag, but with regulated circuits and all that LED's require, I've narrowed down my stock of lights to those that are single cell........AAA, AA, or 18650 with one 4xAA light in my collection.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are more affordable Nimh batteries, you could use energizer Nimh batteries in your drawer lights ;)

+1 on the Sunwayman v20a, harder to find now but a great light

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You sure about that? 4sevens website says that the QPL and QP2A both have the same max output, despite different voltages.

You lost me....the "L" (a 3v CR123) IS the same voltage as the "2A" - they should have the same Max output. It should be noted, though, that with the buck driver, the Quarks do not go direct drive on Li-ions (3.7-4.2v) and output will be same as 3V batts.