INOVA X1 DOA

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I picked up an INOVA X1 on a whim (just added it to an order) and it just came in today. I pulled it from the packaging to find that it was DOA. Pulled the batt out, figuring it was dead, but got nothing from a new batt either. I'm thinking that it can't be that complicated, can it? Am I doing something wrong here or did I just get a dud? Funny thing is if I put the batt in and twist the cap down for constant on, the whole flashlight starts to heat up pretty good so I'm thinking that there's definitely something wrong with it (gets hotter way faster than my L4). So, any suggestions? I've already emailed the dealer to see my options. I'm guessing that either he or INOVA will send me a new one--just not looking forward to having to stand in line at the post office to send the dead one back so I thought I'd ask to see if there's anything else I can try. Thanks.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Figured it was something like that. As an aside, I bought a white one, but the lens is a dark blue--is that right? Package says "Spotlight White" but I didn't expect the blue lens.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the blue might be the anti-reflective coating.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was DOA too. I took off the head and touched it to the battery and used a piece of tin foil from the battery negative terminal to the head and it lit up therefore telling me the problem was in the switch. I poked and prodded the switch area seeing if it would disassemble easily or perhaps they put a piece of temporary plastic in to prevent the battery from activating during shipment. I didn't really do much but then when I re-assembled, it started to work and has been fine since although I have little practical use for the light.

jtice

Flashaholic
The lens has a coating on it,, cant remember the name. AR ?
It is normal to be blue.
Also, the battery doesnt go in backwards like the x5t.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
The lens has a coating on it,, cant remember the name. AR ?
It is normal to be blue.
Also, the battery doesnt go in backwards like the x5t.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I double-checked the direction of the battery before I posted.

Thanks, guys, I figured it was a coating, but with it being DOA, I wanted to make sure.

geepondy--don't feel like removing the head. At least not until I get a response from the dealer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just took a look at the lens of mine, and it has that blue appearance to it as well.
This is the AR (antireflective) coating, and does not in any way indicate a problem with the flashlight.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right, that is not what I did. I had forgotten exactly but now have just re-examined the situation. I simply removed the tail cap and shorted a piece of metal from the negative end of the battery to the flashlight casing to complete the circuit. Aluminum foil was handy but I just tried again and pushing it against an aluminum can does the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
ZENGHOST said:

geepondy--don't feel like removing the head. At least not until I get a response from the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Well, I tried the foil thing and it's a no go. Still waiting on the dealer to respond to my email. Wondering if I should just go ahead and contact Inova.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
i emailed them since my x1 stopped working altogether. no reply in 3 days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm...that does not bode well for me, then. The dealer advised me to deal with Inova. I fired off an email yesterday, we'll see if I get a reply this week.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Zen,

So you bought from a dealer and the light arrived DOA and yet they told you to deal directly with INOVA???

If you care not to post it here, please e-mail and tell me who that dealer is...?

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Hey Zen,

So you bought from a dealer and the light arrived DOA and yet they told you to deal directly with INOVA???

If you care not to post it here, please e-mail and tell me who that dealer is...?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, that's what I was advised to do--send it back to the manufacturer. Sent you an email.

Marcio

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gifThe people from INOVA are very strange. I have sent them a e-mail asking about INOVA X1 details and data sheet and nobody gave me any kind of answer... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif