HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This fire just cost Tesla $2.5 billion

Default This fire just cost Tesla $2.5 billion

This fire just cost Tesla $2.5 billion

A FIRE that destroyed a Tesla electric car near Seattle which began in the vehicle's battery pack has wiped $US2.5 billion off the company's value.

Norm

Default Re: This fire just cost Tesla $2.5 billion

I question how much metal debris he hit but I guess something sharp could have come up into the battery pack. No impact shield?

Oddly I just saw my first Model S in the wild yesterday and another (the same one?) driving around this morning.

I watched the story on a Seattle "news" station last night. The talking-head regurgitated Tesla's press release,,,,,,,,but added nothing.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Call me paranoid, but when I saw the car sitting at an intersection and burning, my first thought was that maybe the car didn't hit debris, but may have impacted another car. In that case, though, I would think that Tesla has already performed the standard crash tests and addressed any potential fires that could result from crush damage to the battery.

I have heard some media outlets comment on how this follows Mr Musk offering to help Boeing design proper lithium battery packs that were properly tested and proven safe. Was Elon just tempting fate??

Changing focus a bit... I was a little surprised that the fire fighters were using water on burning metals. I thought there was a proper type D chemical extinguisher that was the correct stuff to use. Or maybe they used up all they had and had to revert to water?

The video and pictures from the link show the fire in the front of the car. The battery is much further back.
    The story indicates the firefighters punched a hole in the battery pack and doused it with water. Was the battery on fire or the firefighters simply flooding the battery as a precaution? Firefighters do like to continue spraying water after a fire has been put out to prevent hot spots from flaring up again.

Tesla made a small profit a few months ago with nobody expecting it. The stock price went nuts. I think the fire made people realize its not just ra-ra-ra all the time.
    The Tesla model S is number one in luxury car sales in California and number one in all car sales in Norway. Despite that I do not think Tesla can make enough cars in the next year nor Panasonic enough 18650 to justify the high stock price.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDninja View Post
    The video and pictures from the link show the fire in the front of the car. The battery is much further back.
    The story indicates the firefighters punched a hole in the battery pack and doused it with water. Was the battery on fire or the firefighters simply flooding the battery as a precaution? Firefighters do like to continue spraying water after a fire has been put out to prevent hot spots from flaring up again.

Tesla made a small profit a few months ago with nobody expecting it. The stock price went nuts. I think the fire made people realize its not just ra-ra-ra all the time.
    The Tesla model S is number one in luxury car sales in California and number one in all car sales in Norway. Despite that I do not think Tesla can make enough cars in the next year nor Panasonic enough 18650 to justify the high stock price.
    The ENTIRE bottom of the Model S is a slab of battery. The Roadster's pack is in the back (between seats and rear wheels).

The fire (in my opinion) shouldn't affect anyone's safety opinion of the vehicle. It's not like it spontaneously caught on fire; I'm sure there are plenty of impact-related scenarios that could result in a ICE catching fire as well. Just a fluke thing and luckily no one was hurt.

Having two Teslas in my family I am biased but I strongly contend that the Tesla Model S is THE BEST vehicle made in America.
    Last edited by ThirstyTurtle; 10-04-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Surprisingly or maybe not surprisingly the public doesn't even consider fuel fires in normal ICE vehicles to be a problem.

Norm

Flashaholic*

Man, I had a 17670 catch fire once and I thought that was scary.

Dumped some sand on it and it was over but this ... wow.

Model S Fire
    By Elon Musk
    http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-fire

A very detailed description of what happened.
    Too long to copy into this post so go read it.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDninja View Post
    Model S Fire
    By Elon Musk
    http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-fire

A very detailed description of what happened.
    Too long to copy into this post so go read it.
    I don't know that I'd agree with the last sentence, but it does sound like this is pretty much a rare event and mostly correctly handled by the firefighters, and most importantly, the driver was uninjured.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Surprisingly or maybe not surprisingly the public doesn't even consider fuel fires in normal ICE vehicles to be a problem.

Norm
    Yup. I've noticed the same thing. IIRC close to 50% of all Fire Department responses are for automotive fires. Anything as big as a car is going to have quite a bit of energy (actually exergy) bottled up to move it. Gas, steam, electricity -- doesn't make much difference which. I think people are just used to ICE cars burning and have just written it off as the cost of doing business.

I think there was a scene in The Carpetbaggers (1964) where the protagonist, Jonas Cord (loosly based on Howard hughes) strikes a car he's designing with an ax and steam jets out. He stops the project and issues orders that the car be discretely disassembled and buried. He comments that the first accident where someone is burned with steam would be a pr disaster.
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 10-05-2013 at 07:14 PM.

I commuted for many years. It's amazing how many car fires I've seen, or at least the burned out hulks. Amazingly, they appear to sometimes catch fire without being in an accident.

I don't find an occasional fire caused by a road hazard to be that big a deal.

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

Post Re: This fire just cost Tesla $2.5 billion

"187,500 "highway vehicle fires" in the US in 2011"

Source (and an article about Tesla and the most current fire):
    http://green.autoblog.com/2013/10/02...-model-s-fire/

I wonder if this was only the second Tesla fire this year? It would be 0,001% of all fires and 100% of international news headlines concerning them.

Not long ago, I also read an interesting piece of news concerning Tesla. Last month, Tesla S was the best selling car in Norway with 5% share of the sales, followed by a lot cheaper VW Golf and Toyota Auris. Nissan Leaf (another electric car) was also in top 10.
    In God we trust, all others bring data.

Got passed by the first Tesla I've seen around here the other day. Took me a bit to figure out what it was. Caught up at a stoplight and read the name. Actually I first thought someone had changed the badges on a Kia Optima or Cadenza. It looks sweet in red.

Geoff

Time to buy stock!

Quote Originally Posted by STiFTW View Post
    Time to buy stock!
    I really shouldn't,,,,,oh what the heck......fire sale!

~ Chance
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 10-07-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

i still think electric cars are the future. used to be a guy on this forum who had a electric car. i belive he was even in the movie called who killed the electric care. i forget his name but it may of been dale
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Nope. Nor the significantly greater amount of energy in the average car's gas tank at any given time. Car fires are a significant percentage of fire department calls and we think nothing of them.

Tesla, on the other hand, like Apple, gets media attention with everything that happens to it - good or bad. Price they pay for pushing something new, I suppose.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic*

Are you talking about Darell?

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
    Are you talking about Darell?
    thats sounds correct
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Sadly, just as my driving habits fall in line with using an electric car, I no longer have the need or finances for one.

I was driving about 80 miles a day, about 50% in stop and go, hilly terrain. Often I'd make lengthy side trips. I made monthly trips of many hundred miles. An early model hybrid did a good job for me and I've been very happy with it. I still have it.

The problem is that hybrids are so common that they are no longer a gadget. The next stop in high tech gadgets has to be electric. Sigh.

But now I'm retired and drive around 50 miles a week. I could use easily use a Leaf, Tesla or Porsche (electric) for my daily driving. The problem is that with that little driving there is no payback on the investment. Even worse, I have to wonder what part of the charge will be used up by internal self discharge when I drive it only once a week.

I'd love an electric car. It's just that I'm no longer a prime candidate for one.

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

My thoughts: Lithium Ion cells are too dangerous to be put in cars. We should stick to 10-20 gallon tanks of gasoline. It's much safer, easier to contain, nonflammable, and completely crashproof.</sarcasm>

random important details:

Car has a half inch thick solid metal shield protecting the bottom of battery

According to Tesla, smothering it with water was the right thing to do in this scenario, cutting into the battery first was not

Quote Originally Posted by gadget_lover View Post
    But now I'm retired and drive around 50 miles a week. I could use easily use a Leaf, Tesla or Porsche (electric) for my daily driving. The problem is that with that little driving there is no payback on the investment. Even worse, I have to wonder what part of the charge will be used up by internal self discharge when I drive it only once a week.

I'd love an electric car. It's just that I'm no longer a prime candidate for one.

Daniel
    Heck, now that you are retired, you can pick up new hobbies! If you start bike riding, you can buy fancy headlights, power meters, a GPS bike computer, and even electronic shifting! There's no end to the amount of money you can pour into bicycle technology! If you expand that to other hobbies.. photography, RC airplanes, audiophile equipment... you could easily burn up your savings in record time!

If you can't burn up your savings fast enough, then it's time to get into boats, airplanes, or sports cars. There's no practical limit to how much money you could throw into those hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Heck, now that you are retired, you can pick up new hobbies! If you start bike riding, you can buy fancy headlights, power meters, a GPS bike computer, and even electronic shifting! There's no end to the amount of money you can pour into bicycle technology! If you expand that to other hobbies.. photography, RC airplanes, audiophile equipment... you could easily burn up your savings in record time!

If you can't burn up your savings fast enough, then it's time to get into boats, airplanes, or sports cars. There's no practical limit to how much money you could throw into those hobbies.
    Go for a new convertible, shirts that you don't button all the way to the top, and gold chains....lots of gold chains.

~ Chance

REPORT: Another Tesla Model S Caught Fire After A Crash [VIDEO] - Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.com/repor...-video-2013-10

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    My thoughts: Lithium Ion cells are too dangerous to be put in cars. We should stick to 10-20 gallon tanks of gasoline. It's much safer, easier to contain, nonflammable, and completely crashproof.</sarcasm>

random important details:

Car has a half inch thick solid metal shield protecting the bottom of battery

According to Tesla, smothering it with water was the right thing to do in this scenario, cutting into the battery first was not
    Isn't there a greater threat of lung damage from venting li ion than gasoline burning up to for carbon dioxide? Of course either can burn you but the fumes from a li ion terrify me.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by STiFTW View Post
    Time to buy stock!
    Ironically, yes; this would be the perfect time to do that. Though if Tesla isn't able to bounce back from this PR nightmare, it's going to be on helluva gamble for those who decide to invest.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Third Tesla Model S Catches Fire.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/third...s-fire-2013-11

In every Tesla accident I've come across, the driver walked away on his own. Now if Tesla can protect the battery as well as they protected the occupants.

Tesla's stock went ballistic when they made money for the first time. It may be too high based on current production.
    From CNN:
    "Shares are up 400% this year and are trading a nearly 100 times 2014 earnings estimates."
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/25/inve...cks/index.html

Here's The Line From Elon Musk That Every Tesla Investor Needs To See:
    "we really are production constrained, not demand constrained ... the main constraint on production has been the cells."
    http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla...demand-2013-11

OTOH if you are willing to hang on to the stock.
    Tesla Is Now Buying Enough Batteries To Quadruple Production By 2017
    http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla...uction-2013-10
    Not 2014, not 2015, not 2016 but 2017.

Here is how the Tesla is built:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lfxPI5ObM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast