Any other fans of the Maratac AA?

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
e4ygujud.jpg
I got a lovely Maratac AA in silver off eBay a couple of months ago and love it! It has a nice creamy white tint (not sure what emitter it has?) and is just the right size. it also has nicely spaced 3 modes and good run times including a couple of hours on high and is quite throwy too.

Not seen too many people talking or enthusing about this light - it's usually the AAA version or the copper version. Are there any others who have a fondness for this particular light?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link, interesting reading! I'll be careful to occasional remove the lights head to relieve any potential pressure that may build up behind that head.

Hope that isn't a design flaw, otherwise looks a pretty well built light, doesn't skip modes like my Thrunite T10 can occasionally do. The only slight problem is the anti-reflective coating had been partially worn away whilst with its first owner, looks like from over-zealous cleaning?

Tesla

Enlightened
It's not a design flaw, just a sign of a well-sealed light. It's a defective battery. Have had that happen with alkaline AA in my CMG. Changed to new battery & voila..no gas buildup.

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
I'll mostly be using ni-mh rechargeables in the light so hopefully shouldn't have any problems with Alkaleaks!

Shows then that the Maratac is pretty watertight! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Maratac AA lights. I keep a gen1 AAA on my desk and I've EDCed a gen1 AA type 3 hard nat ano for a couple of years. I run them both on Enloops.

I think that the feel and build quality of the Maratacs would cost at least $20 more from any other manufacturer.

I've turned a friend on to them and he was so impressed with them he gave them away as xmas gifts.

They are great lights at a great price.

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
I have bought several maratac aa/aaa lights over the years. I have given all of them away as gifts as I bought newer stuff. The last maratac I bought had loose debris and damage to the led dome, which caused it to have a horrible beam; I sent it in for a replacement and received one with the same issue.

Awesome lights as long as you don't get a lemon.

My dad has carried a maratac SS AAA for years now and its still going. He even loss the head in the front yard once and it was rained on heavily. I dried it out and gave it back to him...the light is still working to this day.

Precise

Newly Enlightened
I just received one yesterday. The countycomm site says it has an R3 LED.

Like many of you, I have accumulated lots of LED flashlights over the years. Many are much larger than this little AA light.

But I am absolutely amazed at both the brightness and the uniformity of the semi-flood beam. It's by far the best I've ever seen. I've got a standard AA lithium cell in it.

And all this in something 3" long that weighs only 38 grams.

I like the fact that it has a low power setting and no other complexities. However I would have liked a bit brighter low than this, which they call lunar.

Best regards,

Alan

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I love my shiny S.S. Maratac AA model. For those who prefer a small light with a twist mechanism and a decent pocket-carry clip; it's ideal!

Not so much love for the crappy customer service County Comm has become famous (perhaps infamous) for in recent years.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I have couple of the Maratac polished SS AA lights and I edc'd one for a bit. Great light, simple 3-mode twisty but I just found it was a bit big to carry around my pocket. I still have them but I have since been edc'ing the Maratac AAA instead.

Still, the AA version is pretty sweet in design and operation.

skids625

Newly Enlightened
Hi- I have been using the SS. AA for two yrs with no problems, it is so tidy to clip to my pocket, in my pocket, its just bright enough to many times to stop me from carrying a bigger lite.

turkeylord

Enlightened
Anyone own both a Maratac AA and 47s Mini MA? I'd like to know if the heads are interchangeable like the Preon/Maratac AAAs are.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone own both a Maratac AA and 47s Mini MA? I'd like to know if the heads are interchangeable like the Preon/Maratac AAAs are.

cu/ss use same head threading, but the Al ones are different. I has a 47s 2AA light, and the heads interchanged okay.

fyi, the black Al Maratac AA (Rev2) has a 2 part head.

turkeylord

Enlightened
cu/ss use same head threading, but the Al ones are different. I has a 47s 2AA light, and the heads interchanged okay.

fyi, the black Al Maratac AA (Rev2) has a 2 part head.
Thanks for the info. I did finally take the chance and tried it. While the MiniMA & Maratac Cu bodies did not play all that well together, the pill threaded right in. I don't think I realized before that the pill and body threads are on different diameters. Pills swap just fine. :)

sj4yHA0.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey guys, just a quick update regarding my last post in this topic. Started hearing some positive things about CC's customer service awhile back. Decided to take a chance and ordered from them. Was not disappointed. Will be ordering from CC soon again.

ismaelr305

Newly Enlightened
I love my Maratac AAA ( rev. 3) never leave home without it. I have the black version. I posted a question asking if it's ok to use 10440 with this light. Any insight would be helpful...

Norm

Retired Administrator
I love my Maratac AAA ( rev. 3) never leave home without it. I have the black version. I posted a question asking if it's ok to use 10440 with this light. Any insight would be helpful...
You've asked the same question in four threads now. Three have been deleted - Norm

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
With AAA-designated lights, you can usually get away with it. It'll run hotter and may quickly burn out part of the driver. Without careful use it will certainly overheat and destroy the driver, LED, and battery.

In this particular case, it works well for some people. Some have had quick failures, others have not. Do you feel lucky?