SureFire T1A Problem?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone else experienced an issue where the light will briefly turn off at a certain degree of rotation of the head? For example, if I rotate the head from 0 - 100%, it will sometimes shut off around 75% rotation and then turn back on for the rest of its ramping up to 100%. FWIW, it's on a brand new, 90-lumen T1A.

I thought maybe it could be related to a low battery, so I put a new battery in and the problem went away. A day later, I put the original battery back in and the problem is still gone, which has me baffled.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Thoughts?

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Sounds like a battery issue. Maybe the "original" cell is recovering voltage while resting, so that's why the problem seems to go away. If you had some means of testing battery capacity you would have a better idea of whether that is the case or not.

W

Wooperson

Hey RobertM,

I had exactly the same problem. It didn't happen often so I waited a bit, but the light constantly turned off/flickered at a certain angle of rotation every other use or so. I called Surefire and they said that it was a connection problem and it seems to be a common problem by how immediate their response was. I sent it in and I assume they resoldered whatever connection was loose and that fixed it for now. :)

Flucero28

Enlightened
Try rapidly turning the head from off to max a few times. There are three springy metal tabs inside the light that protrude from the circuit to contact the lights inner body tube to complete the circuit to ground. There is also lube in that area that can cause intermittent contact issues with the metal tabs causing the behavior you describe. Rapidly turning the head has helped to eliminate the problem for my light after the light has sat unused. Hope that helps you!

Frank

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. :thumbsup:
It hasn't done the problem in a few days now. If it comes back I'll Flucero28 trick and check the screw tightness per ShineOn's recommendation. I guess if it becomes really problematic I'll just have to send it to SF.

Thanks again,
Robert

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear.

What Frank said would be a good suggestion, basically cleaning off any contacts. Also, and amazingly considering the amount of digital circuitry in side this light, the level is ultimately controlled by turning a potentiometer (yeah - just like your old stereo system) so that is another piece that could benefit from the fast twisting to remove any potential contact issues.

Man I still love this light. When I heard they were being discontinued I bought two just to put into storage for down the road.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I've recently had a similar issue with my modded T1A.
After turning knob to change brightness, the light will continue to ramp up/down randomly.
The light will still adjust brightness normally but will also randomly ramp up/down.

Since this light is modded I can't send it to Surefire.
Is there any member (hopefully in the US) that I can send it to for repair?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's something for you guys to consider and try.

I had the same issue with a T1A at one time. It would shut off about 60% of the way and then come back on - in both direction low to high and high to low. On the inside of the T1A is a standard potentiometer which control the brightness. This is a friction part which changes resistance between two contact points as you rotate it.

Remember on your old stereos how after a while the Volume knob (a standard pot back in the days) would start to develop scratchiness as changed the level? Same issue here.

You've got oxidation along some point of the pot contact and you need to get it off. How? Scrape it off. By turning the light up and down across those problem section for a while - and I mean vigorously back and forth - you will clean off that contact point and things should return to normal.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks SOYCD, I'll try that. I already did it a little but not vigorously, also loosened the two screws a bit too.

scout24

Flashaholic
SOYCD- I remember having that problem (and solution) on several of the Ti Titans, good to know it's a similar situation on the T1A's.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear.

What Frank said would be a good suggestion, basically cleaning off any contacts. Also, and amazingly considering the amount of digital circuitry in side this light, the level is ultimately controlled by turning a potentiometer (yeah - just like your old stereo system) so that is another piece that could benefit from the fast twisting to remove any potential contact issues.

Man I still love this light. When I heard they were being discontinued I bought two just to put into storage for down the road.

Same here. :) I gave my wife my early, 70-lumen T1A and ordered two new 90-lumen T1As. One to use and one to save. :D

Learned a new trick, thanks! My 70 lumen did the same thing a few weeks ago. However in regards to having a back up. It looks like us T1A guys think alike, as I have a new 90 lumen T1A sitting in it's box as well. ... :thumbsup:

Pops

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
A big thank you to SOYCD!
I removed the battery then gave it some vigorous twisting back and forth for a few minutes.
Well now the problem is gone, no more random ramping in brightness.

Also a plus, the light's twisting action is much smoother now, truly smooth like butter.
This is one of the older 70 lumen T1As that I recently purchased second hand.
I had sent it to member LASER for a Nichia HCRI emitter swap and tail stand mod.

What an amazing light I am finding it to be, I can't believe I waited this long to get one.

For those that have other variable output rotary lights, how do they compare to the Titan?
Lights like the Jetbeam RRT01 and the Sunwaymans.
Are they just as smooth in their twist action and their ramping in brightness?

archimedes

Flashaholic
For those that have other variable output rotary lights, how do they compare to the Titan?
Lights like the Jetbeam RRT01 and the Sunwaymans.
Are they just as smooth in their twist action and their ramping in brightness?

The T1A/Titans are the smoothest ramping rotary flashlights of any I've tried (including JB & SWM) ....

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T1A/Titans are the smoothest ramping rotary flashlights of any I've tried (including JB & SWM) ....

I see, thanks for the info :thumbsup:
I also read the titan has less overhead (parasitic drain) than the others mentioned.
I've been interested in the RRT01 but maybe I'll pick up an extra T1A next time from cpfm.