Red 5 watt LED and night vision?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I've read that red is good for preserving night vision. I've also read that dim red is best. What about a 5 watt red LED in large open spaces like hangars, auditoriums, stadiums, warehouses and the great outdoors. I recently bought a Surefire L4-HA-RD and hope I didn't make a mistake. What do you all think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
oldgrandpajack

PS: I have a F04 Beam Shaper waiting in the wings, to eliminate artifacts, if needed.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
I didn't know Lumileds made 5 watt in Red... Is this a modded L4?

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jon:
It may be a misprint on the color. I will be happy if it is white, but when I saw it listed as red, I jumped on it. Don't know anything about Lumileds production of red 5 watt LED's. It is not modded. It was listed as NIB. I will let everyone know when I get it. Usually takes about 7-8 days for shipping (UPS Ground). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
oldgrandpajack

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumileds does not make a 5W red. They are either using a color filter, or are incorrect about the LED color.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
unless it has a red 1w in it, in that case it should have good throw with some nice side spill.... wonder if it's official SF or modded?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
oldgrandpajack,

I just checked out the eBay sale in which you got that light. Since it's NIB, I suspect that it is indeed a white -- a mistake in the listing by the seller. In either case, you got it for a great price. Congratulations.

Paul

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I got it yesterday and it was a misprint. I am still happy, as the price was right, and you can't go wrong with a brand new, sealed in the box, Surefire L4-HA-WH.
oldgrandpajack