Surefire P2X Fury or Streamlight Protac HL (or something else)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to buy a 2x123 light with two modes. I noticed the Surefire Fury P2x and Streamlight Protac HL are very similar in brightness and settings, with the Surefire costing $40 more. Are they the best (brightest) lights in this class? Is there anythine else out there better? I'd prefer to stay with an American company, but I realize that limits my options drastically.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MD2 with a high/low ring and your preferred flavor of drop-in. Hang around here long enough and you'll hear a lot of praise for that light. It's my favorite light personally, and I've owned a LOT of lights :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

cosmos7

Newly Enlightened
I had the opportunity to use both of these and personally, i'd choose the Fury because of the build quality.
Having seen both in action I bought the Fury... love that thing. Also while I didn't experience it I've seen a number of reviews of the HL complain of flicker. Cannot substantiate that though.

TheVat26

Enlightened
You can twist the tailcap a little loose to lock out the HL. Feels GREAT in the hand and the UI is very flexible with three different setting you can choose with the ten tap programming. Has awesome output and throws very well. The only downside is that it only gives acceptable tactical ligh for about 40-45 minutes on high. It drains the batteries pretty quick. However, the low setting is actually very useable to short and medium needs with a lot better runtime than the high. Won't take an 18650 but might be okay on lithium phosphate 3.0's with reduced runtimes. Don't know if the walls are thick enough to bore for an 18650, and the way the electronics are, the higher voltage of (2) 123's are what it's optimized for.

tumbler

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with the fury but I own the Streamlight and I can tell you, for the money, it's an incredible flashlight and my go-to light for home defense.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like I'm going with the Streamlight. I like the longer runtime of the Fury, but the fact that the Protac seems to be the better value. If I end up not liking it, it will be on the CPFMP and I'll pick up the Fury. lol

lightinsky

Enlightened
What about the new Elzetta Bravo?

I've got a Streamlight Protac HL and love the price and build quality is superb in my opinion. I've got several surefires but still like streamlights stuff too.

Not sure if protac HL is 600 lumens but must be at least 400-500 out the front real lumens for 45 minutes sounds about right.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a P2X Fury with the Fivemega body (18mm+). Hard to beat for rechargeable runtime. The knurling on the body is top-notch!

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back from the dead! I want to chime in as I have had both these lights! Sold one and kept the other.

The Fury I love, because I too have a FM 18650 body. Gotta love rechargeable power. the Protacis a great light because of the programming. My issue two years ago was I put a 17650 in it and only the lower mode worked. So whatever the electronics are in the Protac it doesn't like a single lithium-ion rechargeable. Maybe this has changed?

My Fury now also wears a Surefire grip ring, it's my Go To light when out in the truck.

Last edited: