What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? The troll logic.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Hey all, I'm still up, and have had too much caffeine today to go to sleep like a normal person. Thus, i have had plenty of time to think about this and write it up. so....what happens when: "unstoppable force...meets immovable object" - That kind of statement only baffles us when applying Newtonian physics. I'd like to introduce troll physics, or perhaps more properly named, some troll logic. We are going to ignore "relativity" unless someone would like to post about those scenarios as well.

Scenario 1:
An immovable object would have to have infinite mass with an acceleration of 0. Immovable merely implies that no amount of force can be applied to cause the object accelerate positively or negatively. since there is an acceleration of 0, the Force of the immovable object is also 0, unless it is already in motion and collides with a movable object, thus being able to measure out the acceleration of the 2n'd object, and being able to figure out the acceleration and force of the first object. In this case, the acceleration would be instantaneous, or divide by 0 seconds, thus approaching infinity. Since the force becomes INFINITY ANYWAYS, the immovable object contains, in fact, the UNSTOPPABLE FORCE. They have always been contained in the same immovable object.

Scenario 2:
An immovable object would have to have infinite mass with an acceleration of 0. Immovable merely implies that no amount of force can be applied to cause the object accelerate positively or negatively. Let us assume that the object is NOT in motion. It is completely fixed in a volume in space. that would imply that: either the object has infinite mass and therefore infinite density, or that the volume is infinitely small, but greater than zero.
a) hypothetically, if the object has infinite mass, it would take up everything in this known universe and beyond, and possibly destroy the space/time continuum. we know this would never be the case, as i am here explaining troll physics to you at the moment. let's move on to b).
b) the volume of this immovable object is infinitely small. we need to see what would happen if an unstoppable force meets this infinitely small immovable object. in order for a "force" to me measured, there must be physical mediums in which this force is manifested. regardless of medium, this unstoppable force is an infinity = mass times acceleration, so either the medium has an infinite mass (which is impossible based on part a)) or it has an infinite acceleration, thus speeding forever towards the immovable object. When this unstoppable medium reaches the immovable force, we need to take into account where they collide, and the medium in which the unstoppable force is manifested.
b1) the given mass of the force manifest medium could be ANYTHING, it doesn't matter. smaller than, equal to, or greater than the immovable object still doesn't matter. Also note that it would not matter if some of the mass were left stranded after the collision, the still accelerating medium in which the unstoppable force is manifested would still accelerate to INFINITY, which means force is STILL INFINITY, or UNSTOPPABLE. There would just be an infinitely tiny hole in the medium of the unstoppable force.
b2) for simplicity sake, let's assume that the colliding surfaces of the two mediums are laterally parallel, and the collision course will be head on. if the medium of the unstoppable force is < or = the collision surface of the immovable object, they will meet. Whatever the medium of the unstoppable force, it WILL DISINTEGRATE INTO AN INFINITE NUMBER OF SMALLER MEDIUMS, FANNING OUT ALONG TO PLANAR COLLISION SURFACE, similar to a bullet hitting a cement wall. However, this circular spreading cloud of possibly sub-neutrino particles will still be accelerating outward at infinity. This means that the unstoppable force has just MULTIPLIED; force can only be measured in physical things. since there are infinity small particles accelerating at infinity, EACH and EVERY of those infinite particles now contain an unstoppable force. - the force has not been stopped, merely redirected and multiplied.

In conclusion, I hope this iteration of troll physics has not confounded you, and that you will look forward to future editions of troll physics to come.

by the way, just know that I did this first. :D

Last edited:

JacobJones

Enlightened
I propose that for an object to be immovable it would have to contain all matter in existence, any matter not contained within the object would influence the objects movement whilst also being something that the object can move relative to. The composition of the object must be stable, ie a single electron, proton or neutrino, anything larger would decay changing the object and expelling matter from the object.

An immovable object could exist, but not in our cosmos.

Now we're getting deep into quantum physics territory, my next statement may be pure BS.

Force cannot be unstoppable. For force to exist at least two sub atomic particles must exist, if more than one is in existence their relationship cannot be stable and therefore any force between the particles not unstoppable.

In conclusion there is no unstoppable force to collide with our immovable object.

Oh dear, I've ruined my brain. I shall be interested to see if future developments disprove my theory.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Such is the purpose of Troll logic hahaha! As far as your first point goes, I elaborated on point...2a) i believe. It has to either be infinitely massive, or infinitely small, like a fixed point. I'm glad we both agree that something infinitely massive is out of the question in this dimension, as we are able to discuss this here.

The second point that at least 2 physical mediums must exist for the force to pass through was covered in points 1 and 2....a force alone is immeasurable unless it is manifested in some form of mass. In the vacuum of space, IF we lived in a purely frictionless and elastic dimension, force would technically be "unstoppable" anyways. Momentum of an object would just be transferred to the next object, or both objects may shatter and force would be dispersed among the remaining residue. the force would continue infinitely, transferring from medium to medium as it goes. Again, in a purely frictionless and elastic world, the transfer of force would NOT generate any kind of heat, not release any other form of energy ( light, etc).

Therefore, the force would just keep getting distributed and redistributed to whatever mediums lie in the path of the medium in which the force is manifested. F=ma, so if F of medium 1 = (10kg)(10m/s^2), and medium 2 = 100kg's, the acceleration of the 2n'd object would technically be 1m/s^2. F1 MUST = F2 in this purely frictionless and inelastic dimension...

Frijid

Enlightened
what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? That's when you file for a divorce! *rimshot*

StarHalo

Flashaholic
iNUAHk9XnEGNO.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
An immovable object must be infinitesimally small, eh?

I think you just explained why ...
  • People inexplicably trip on level ground - they hit an immovable object
  • Cats can spontaneously generate a vector in mid-air - bouncing off an immovable ojbect that they knew was there
  • It's nearly impossible to remove scotch tape from a desk after more than 30 seconds - transient immovable objects
  • You bounce off a spider web that catches you in the face - transient immovable object again

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
An immovable object must be infinitesimally small, eh?

I think you just explained why ...
  • People inexplicably trip on level ground - they hit an immovable object
  • Cats can spontaneously generate a vector in mid-air - bouncing off an immovable ojbect that they knew was there
  • It's nearly impossible to remove scotch tape from a desk after more than 30 seconds - transient immovable objects
  • You bounce off a spider web that catches you in the face - transient immovable object again
Said object just have to have an acceleration of zero, it doesn't matter how large or small it is, or what mass it has. If it is infinitely small, the density of said object is infinite. the amount of pressure it will produce in an infinitely small surface area should allow it to pierce, or pass through just about any other medium.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the rocket sled videos! Somewhere, there is one of an F-4 Phantom being rocketed into a huge concrete block. The F-4 seems to just disappear into some sort of 5th dimension, because there don't seem to be little F-4 bits squirting out to the sides.

I think my favorite episodes of MythBusters involve rocket sleds too.... watching them accelerate is just incredible!

edit: this is one version of the F-4 Phantom rocket sled video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPe-bKIid8w

another edit: this looks like the whole MythBuster video that StarHalo's clip is taken from....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMh2s-HPSEc
too cool!

Last edited: