WHO ELSE LOOKS FORWARD TO A BLACKOUT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
Several months ago, I joined the likes of many of you and become a light junkie. The problem is I don't really get to use my lights in optimal conditions. In fact most of my use is the city I live in, Toronto.

That being said, I did a quick search on CPF for something on blackouts; came up empty handed.

So I wonder how many of you salivate over the prospect of a (city-wide) blackout. I think back to the Northeast blackout of 2003. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
WHO ELSE LOOKS FORWARD TO A BLACKOUT, OR WORSE, IS HOPING FOR ONE?

I look forward to blackouts. I have plenty of rechargeable cells for my lights. I have learned the importance in lower lumen flashlights with long run times.

For the bathroom who really needs over 100 lumens? Many of the tasks at night do not require a large amount of lumens.

I love FourSevens for this reason. They offer super bright modes. AND low modes with really long run times.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WHO ELSE LOOKS FORWARD TO A BLACKOUT, OR WORSE, IS HOPING FOR ONE?

I'm always a little conflicted on this topic.

Part of me wants a minor/temporary "emergency" here and there. It keeps me sharp, tests my preparedness, and makes me do necessary reviews of supplies and procedures. I also freely admit that it gives me a chance to "play" as well . And hey, I'm only human, sometimes it's nice to have a chance to send a big raspberry at my detractors who typically come crawling to me asking for help or a light to "borrow".

At the same time, I've worked enough in/with emergency services to see how fast the wheels come off and how freaked people get over something as simple as a one hour blackout [see the classic Twilight Zone episode "The monsters are due on Maple Street"] and I've been round the block enough times to know that any loss of power quickly starts translating into injuries and loss of life.

Also, during one post-hurricane time, I found that it became a lot more important to "lay low" and not advertise that you had supplies/light/et-al because it attracted the thugs like a super-magnet ['nuff said about that topic].

Last edited:

välineurheilija

Enlightened
In summertime i would like power failures but where i live it is quite bright also in the nighttime and when it comes to wintertime i would rather have my oilburner and radiators working all the time because i dont have powerfull enough lights to heat up the house :)

Sent from a mobile telephone

gravelmonkey

Enlightened

<snip>...I'm always a little conflicted on this topic.

Part of me wants a minor/temporary "emergency" here and there. It keeps me sharp, tests my preparedness, and makes me do necessary reviews of supplies and procedures. I also freely admit that it gives me a chance to "play" as well . And hey, I'm only human, sometimes it's nice to have a chance to send a big raspberry at my detractors who typically come crawling to me asking for help or a light to "borrow".

At the same time, I've worked enough in/with emergency services to see how fast the wheels come off and how freaked people get over something as simple as a one hour blackout [see the classic Twilight Zone episode "The monsters are due on Maple Street"] and I've been round the block enough times to know that any loss of power quickly starts translating into injuries and loss of life.
<snip>.

+1.

My feeling is that it's going to be the most vulnerable members (the very young, the elderly, those with medical devices at home etc) of society that are the hardest hit, even if the power is out for only a few hours.

Numbers of housefires increase because people start digging out candles (which professional organisations STILL reccommend when we have perfectly capable LED lanterns!?!:thinking:)

Overall, I don't feel morally happy 'looking forward' to power-outages, but doesn't stop me enjoying using my lights when it happens though!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Numbers of housefires increase because people start digging out candles (which professional organisations STILL reccommend when we have perfectly capable LED lanterns!?

Yeah THIS.
I've had the following conversation so many times it has it's own echo.
Me: You know, a good LED light will give you many hours of safe and portable light for emergencies
Other person: But they're so expensive and I already have candles
Me: Some of the lights are cheap and burning down your house is really expensive
Other person: oh that will never happen

jtr1962

Flashaholic

No, I don't look forward to blackouts at all. Whatever satisfaction may come from using my lights is offset by the hardships of trying to live without electricity. Unfortunately, modern life is set up around having electricity. When you have none, there's not much you can do. Also, it seems power outages happen when the outdoor temps are either too hot or too cold, so you then have boredom accompanied by freezing or sweating. The last power outage here was 5 days after Hurricane Sandy. The first day or two wasn't too bad because the outdoor temperatures were temperate. Later in the week it started getting colder. Putting boiling water on the gas stove worked to keep the kitchen warm, but not the entire house. By the time the power finally came back, I was at my wits end. Boredom is really the biggest issue during a blackout. Those 5 days felt like a month. Outages of a few hours which just let me check my preparedness are fine but I certainly don't look forward to anything longer than that.

Don't get me started on the people who still think candles are the answer to blackouts. Candlelight is so dim and yellow compared to a good LED light. And when the inevitable house fires start, it strains already strained emergency services.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking forward to a blackout, or WORSE! You've got to be bleeping kidding!! What a ridiculous, misguided concept!....and just so you can play with your flashlight toys?

I live in a rural area where we often often have power outages....and serious weather events like ice storms and blizzards and Tropical Storm Irene not too long ago. People died! Elderly folks suffer great hardship and life threatening situations, as do others with health issues who use electrically powered medical equipment or just need to keep warm. My elderly uncle in his nineties nearly died during a blackout in NYC a couple of years ago because the elevator and air conditioning in his apartment building didn't work. Blackouts are often no joke for most of us out here in the real world. Flashlights are fun and all ...but for many of us they are tools...not toys to be used by a guy who wants to play with them in a wished for disaster scenario.

I find it unbelievable that anyone would even post a question of this nature.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

The power lines are buried in most of weather-uneventful SoCal, the power's out maybe an hour per five years. So I look forward to Earth Hour, that's a safe compromise.

Boredom is really the biggest issue during a blackout.

That's the part you need to practice then; most Americans didn't have electricity until ~1930, it's not like our forefathers died of boredom every night, so your family shouldn't have to either. Radio, board/card games, books, cooking, neighborhood walks, any hobby that doesn't require electricity..

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Boredom is really the biggest issue during a blackout.
That's the part you need to practice then; most Americans didn't have electricity until ~1930, it's not like our forefathers died of boredom every night, so your family shouldn't have to either. Radio, board/card games, books, cooking, neighborhood walks, any hobby that doesn't require electricity..

I agree. There are plenty of ways to keep busy and entertained without electricity. We are all too addicted to our electronics. Being without electricity temporarily can be a good thing for kids to experience once in awhile too.

Wow EZO! Was all that really necessary? It's not like One missed call actually advocated trying to take out a power grid. Sometime it's a good idea to take a deep breath and count to ten before you start the beat-down.

~ Chance

raggie33

*the raggedier*

love em at night in the day they stink

langham

Enlightened

My wife actually likes them more than I do, she is the first one to grab up one of the many lights I have around and tail stand it. I personally like to tai stand the Kung, or my TN30. The TN30 on high is as bright as my normal lights anyway, it almost takes away from the effect of the power being out. I like to use mine outside at night, maybe a little too much. I wish it wasn't so humid where I live so that I could get out to the 3/4 mile mark with my TN31, but with all of the humidity it just looks like a huge lightsaber.
I think when I first started my obsession I looked forward to them.
One time I was on my submarine and we lost all power and everyone wanted to be near me just to see how my light looked in absolute darkness.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow EZO! Was all that really necessary? It's not like One missed call actually advocated trying to take out a power grid. Sometime it's a good idea to take a deep breath and count to ten before you start the beat-down.

~ Chance

Really? You think looking forward to or hoping for "a blackout or WORSE" so that you can play with your toys is OK? Shame on you! :tsk:

P.S. A local woman in my area died when her medical device stopped functioning during a power outage and she couldn't breathe.

Last edited:

One missed call

Newly Enlightened

Looking forward to a blackout, or WORSE! You've got to be bleeping kidding!! What a ridiculous, misguided concept!....and just so you can play with your flashlight toys?

I live in a rural area where we often often have power outages....and serious weather events like ice storms and blizzards and Tropical Storm Irene not too long ago. People died! Elderly folks suffer great hardship and life threatening situations, as do others with health issues who use electrically powered medical equipment or just need to keep warm. My elderly uncle in his nineties nearly died during a blackout in NYC a couple of years ago because the elevator and air conditioning in his apartment building didn't work. Blackouts are often no joke for most of us out here in the real world. Flashlights are fun and all ...but for many of us they are tools...not toys to be used by a guy who wants to play with them in a wished for disaster scenario.

I find it unbelievable that anyone would even post a question of this nature.

Preamble: I have dispensed with swearing and using bold as you did since I consider that in poor taste.

I though about adding a disclaimer to the my first post, but I'm afraid based on your comments, this wouldn't have made a difference. *

Notwithstanding that, if it isn't obvious (from the responses so far I think it is), OF COURSE I DO NOT HOPE for anything bad to befall ANYONE during a power outage! *Perhaps "...hoping for a blackout?" in the thread title was a bit of a stretch, so I have removed it.*By the way, "Or worse" in your post is a partial quote - thanks for trying to make me look like a horrible person.

Now for my rebuttal.*

You sir, need to lighten up (no pun intended).*

I know that many members here who are light collectors are also avid gun collectors (BRAVO by the way!). Many of them talk about not having enough guns. Do a search - there is no shortage. I wonder, have you expressed outrage here over such a hobby given that guns (whether intentionally or accidentally) kill many innocent people each year across the USA and elsewhere? Or have you reserved your outrage for those who don't mind a temporary short-lived power interruption. Perhaps further reserved for those who also have only been on the forums for a short time, like me?

I wonder, do you find it offensive that a lot of these 'search lights' are meant to look for missing women and children? How could you collect something which is meant to be a tool to help those in dire straits? *How about tactical lights, many of which are made to be mounted to a rifle which is used to hunt animals? Perhaps this whole hobby is not in good taste?

Better still, have you made inquiries into the safety and welfare of those in China who are without a doubt not being paid as much as you or I to build/assemble all of your beloved torches? My guess is no, no, and no.*

Perhaps your remarks might be more appropriate if I had started a thread such as this in a site dedicated to remembering those who perished in a storm which also delivered a widespread prolonged power outage.*

Before you try and turn a member into a pariah, stop and think.*

Realize where you are, and in this case, that this thread was started in the name of our common enthusiasm of using lights and the spirit of light collecting. *Not because I don't live in the "real world" like you.*

By the way, I love warm weather. I have made a note not to start a thread next summer saying I am looking forward to the next heat wave here. After all, people die every year of hear exhaustion when it's too hot.*Wait a minute. I also love snow storms so I can ski. Maybe saying so is in poor taste because roads become dangerous and more people have accidents.

Have a nice day.*:)

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Preamble: I have dispensed with swearing and using bold as you did since I consider that in poor taste.

I though about adding a disclaimer to the my first post, but I'm afraid based on your comments, this wouldn't have made a difference. *

Notwithstanding that, if it isn't obvious (from the responses so far I think it is), OF COURSE I DO NOT HOPE for anything bad to befall ANYONE during a power outage! *Perhaps "...hoping for a blackout?" in the thread title was a bit of a stretch, so I have removed it.*By the way, "Or worse" in your post is a partial quote - thanks for trying to make me look like a horrible person.

Now for my rebuttal.*

You sir, need to lighten up (no pun intended).*

I know that many members here who are light collectors are also avid gun collectors (BRAVO by the way!). Many of them talk about not having enough guns. Do a search - there is no shortage. I wonder, have you expressed outrage here over such a hobby given that guns (whether intentionally or accidentally) kill many innocent people each year across the USA and elsewhere? Or have you reserved your outrage for those who don't mind a temporary short-lived power interruption. Perhaps further reserved for those who also have only been on the forums for a short time, like me?

I wonder, do you find it offensive that a lot of these 'search lights' are meant to look for missing women and children? How could you collect something which is meant to be a tool to help those in dire straits? *How about tactical lights, many of which are made to be mounted to a rifle which is used to hunt animals? Perhaps this whole hobby is not in good taste?

Better still, have you made inquiries into the safety and welfare of those in China who are without a doubt not being paid as much as you or I to build/assemble all of your beloved torches? My guess is no, no, and no.*

Perhaps your remarks might be more appropriate if I had started a thread such as this in a site dedicated to remembering those who perished in a storm which also delivered a widespread prolonged power outage.*

Before you try and turn a member into a pariah, stop and think.*

Realize where you are, and in this case, that this thread was started in the name of our common enthusiasm of using lights and the spirit of light collecting. *Not because I don't live in the "real world" like you.*

By the way, I love warm weather. I have made a note not to start a thread next summer saying I am looking forward to the next heat wave here. After all, people die every year of hear exhaustion when it's too hot.*Wait a minute. I also love snow storms so I can ski. Maybe saying so is in poor taste because roads become dangerous and more people have accidents.

Have a nice day.*:)

Like I said, I think you are misguided and this kind of retort seems to support that notion.

One missed call

Newly Enlightened

Really? You think looking forward to or hoping for "a blackout or WORSE" so that you can play with your toys is OK? Shame on you! :tsk:

P.S. A local woman in my area died when her medical device stopped functioning during a power outage and she couldn't breathe.

Again, misquote my original thread title. In case anyone reading EZO comments wonder, I wrote "or worse, hoping for one" (as in a blackout).

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again, misquote my original thread title. In case anyone reading EZO comments wonder, I wrote "or worse, hoping for one" (as in a blackout).

It says what it says. I don't buy your rationalizing of this. Either way, the point you seem to want to dodge is that blackouts are often dangerous to life and limb and should not be a "hoped for" event to play with your toys.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

As I've mentioned more than once, if you want to really use your lights just create your own blackout and don't use the regular lights for a night. It's real simple. All it takes is a little will power (and maybe an understanding partner). Actually I wait for those rare times when my wife is out of town. I might still visit CPF or listen to the radio, but all illumination comes from flashlights, lanterns, and candles. Doesn't require a power failure, which is not fun if it lasts more than a day.

Geoff

jtr1962

Flashaholic

I think people have higher expectations for "entertainment" than they did back then. I already go for walks, ride my bike, etc. but it's not enough to fill up entire days. As for reading, I rarely get more than a few pages into any book without falling asleep, even if it's a subject I find interesting. Just the act of reading a book is something which tends to lull me to sleep. Anyway, the problem as I said is that every facet of society is set up with the expectation that there will be power. I'm sure people could get used to living without electricity again, but it would have to occur over many years, as we gradually moved functions formally done electricity to other means. I should also point out that when we didn't have electricity, just doing the functions needed for daily living required a good part of the day. This included hand washing clothing, preparing meals literally from scratch, perhaps even starting from raw vegetables/freshly killed meat, mending torn clothing, tending to gas lanterns and/or candles, gathering firewood, etc. I tend to think it would take a generation to get used to this again. The current generations used to life's conveniences probably couldn't cope. Their children who would grow up not knowing a world of electricity (except in books) would probably fare better.

Status
Not open for further replies.