Quark tailcap/switch question? HELP please.

saypat

Enlightened
Hi all. I have a Quark X AA2m, pretty much brand new. It stopped turning on. I did the switch test and the light works, so the problem is somewhere in the switch. The switch is fine. It looks to me that the threads in the tailcap are sort of painted and not enuf metal exposed to make contact with the threads of the body. If I barely screw the two together and move them around, the light will come on. Anybody ever have this issue??? I'm not a flashlight tech. Any tips here? Would steel wool fix this, assuming that's the issue?

Got this light deeply discounted from GoingGear less than a year ago. Do they warranty 'clearance lights'? Foursevens doesn't, and says to check with the seller for warranty issues.

Appreciate any help at all here. Thanks very much.

patrick

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you know the head is good by bypassing the clicky, then there's 2 things to try: there's a retaining collar holding the clip down - if it's loose, it will prevent the tailcap from screwing down all the way. Next is the clicky retaining plate inside the clicky just under the spring - use needle pliers in the 2 detents to screw it down.

BTW, 47s will handle warranty repairs for you, they only ask that you go back through the dealer if within 30 days. I've previously asked about the GG clearance stuff - I bought a bunch myself.

You don't want the threads to make the electrical contact, you want the aluminum retaining ring to tighten against the body of the light to complete the circuit. +1 on tightening that ring and you will likely be good. Also make sure the end of the tube is clean and shiny. If that does not do it, send it for warranty service.

saypat

Enlightened
Hi. Got an e-mail from Trevor at FourSevens. He advised tightening the retaining ring. He said THAT is the culprit in most all cases. Even when people say they did tighten it and send in the light for repair, it is the retaining ring!

I knew my switch was still good but it wouldn't work. I tried as hard as I could to tighten that ring. I called Trevor on the phone and we talked. Anyway, after much fiddling, the clip on my light just seemed to drop down a bit, clearing the way for the retaining ring to be screwed down even more, and effortlessly! I cannot explain it. Light works fine.

thank you guys for your posts, and experience. Forums are invaluable.

patrick -